IGNORED

Tenuous claims to fame

MrBibs

21 minutes ago, ChippenhamRed said:

As a child I was on page 87 of the 1991 Enterprise holiday brochure. The beginning and end of my modelling career.

I was in the Yugotours holiday brochure, in the swimming pool with a plastic bag on my head

19 hours ago, MrBibs said:

I reckon most of us have them. However tenuous I’m sure we all have a football claim to fame.

I found out from (blue) family cousins that I am related to a player who scored over a hundred goals for Rovers. A gentleman by the name of Vic Lambden, who I’d never heard of until I googled him. Strike partner of Geoff Bradford apparently. Wonder If I would have followed the other lot had I known that earlier in life. Thankfully I’ll never know.

So, surely many on here must have a tenuous football claim to fame. Even if it’s someone you went to school with. Would love to hear them. 

My best mans grandfather was Vic Lambden.

1 hour ago, exAtyeoMax said:

I was in the Yugotours holiday brochure, in the swimming pool with a plastic bag on my head

Well I must say that evidences a towering level of modesty and self-effacement that you haven't brought that up before; I'd be telling strangers on the bus personally.

In a way it's odd but I always find that I'm sitting next to the loony on the bus; they sit down next to me and start listening.

3 hours ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

Not Primary, my brother was in Nick Cousins & Nige Durie's year in secondary school (BGS)

The Cousins' family lived on Shirehampton Road iirc, so I guess you're talking about Sea Mills Primary?

Nick used to come round our house often later on too, he was a lot more sporty than Robin!

Yes, Sea Mills Junior Mixed, as it was called then.  Nick was a very good sportsman and particularly a very decent rugby player, later refereeing at the top level (I saw him reffing at the Middlesex Sevens at Twickenham once).  Their dad Fred was a sportsman too - I think he played in goal for Millwall.

23 minutes ago, The Dolman Pragmatist said:

Yes, Sea Mills Junior Mixed, as it was called then.  Nick was a very good sportsman and particularly a very decent rugby player, later refereeing at the top level (I saw him reffing at the Middlesex Sevens at Twickenham once).  Their dad Fred was a sportsman too - I think he played in goal for Millwall.

Yep, Nick was in the school first team for Rugby, and cricket too, remember seeing him on my brother's team photos.

A very friendly and cheerful bloke as I recall. There was a 3rd brother, Martin iirc.

19 minutes ago, Antman said:

I had my inner thigh massaged by Gill Holt

and i used to live 3 doors up from Terry Cooper when we lived in Yorkshire.

Saw both Les Bardsley and later Alex Lockhart in an unsuccessful bid to save my amateur football career.

Les had loads of pictures of former City players in the waiting room and both were happy to talk BCFC all day.

19 hours ago, Davefevs said:

Played against Julian Dicks as a kid, lost 11-0, he scored 8.

Played against Colin Lee at schoolboy and youth football.

Once played against his youth team (Torre Trojans) in a cup semi. We had a decent side with two of the Torbay school team in our side, they had the other 9. Don't need to tell you how that went.!!!

56 minutes ago, Eddie Hitler said:

Well I must say that evidences a towering level of modesty and self-effacement that you haven't brought that up before; I'd be telling strangers on the bus personally.

In a way it's odd but I always find that I'm sitting next to the loony on the bus; they sit down next to me and start listening.

shame I threw it away other wise I could've shown you…:yawn:

Tenuous claims to fame

i was once stuck in a lift with Pete Sampras in The St James hotel in London. 

Mrs Oxo and I checked into a hotel in Lyons with the entire Juventus team behind us. 

Sat with Eddie Large and Jonathon Pierce at GGs testimonial dinner

have a friend who dated Jackie D

Bumped into Dr Ian Paisley. He was a big guy 

Met Phil Collins in a record shop in Guildford. That was funny. Top bloke. 

Was invited on the pitch after the Wallsall game. Got pics of me flinty and Steve (blessings be upon him) Cotterill 

Got a lot of stories. All true!

22 minutes ago, REDOXO said:

Mrs Oxo and I checked into a hotel in Lyons with the entire Juventus team behind us. 

We stayed in a hotel in Paris at the same time as the RC Strasbourg team when they played Amiens in the French Cup Final and sat down for breakfast with Jose Luis Chalavert and Habib Beye.

When they all got on the bus afterwards they deliberately left Beye behind and he had to chase it up the road as it kept stopping and starting again every time he got to the door with much hilarity from his teammates.

1 hour ago, yardy said:

I scored half a century in the County Ground Somerset but better than that i once shared a elevator with Jedward

I caught Shane Warne out, got bowled out by Dean Headley.....and played against Trescothick a few times.

4 hours ago, Kingswood Robin said:

My best mans grandfather was Vic Lambden.

So I guess I’m vaguely related to your best man and your tenuous claim is better than mine. I believe Vic ran a garage in Keynsham after he retired.

Loved reading all the tenuous claims on here. Great stuff.

1 hour ago, downendcity said:

I played at Wembley in the FA Cup.

Pah!

I SCORED at Wembley.

Granted, it was with a crushed can, and I had to guess roughly where the goal line was as the pitch was covered in thick set plastic sheeting, and it was after an Oasis concert on my way out, but still....

One pitch appearance, one goal scored. 

Archived