IGNORED

Tenuous claims to fame

MrBibs

Some for the old uns.

Went to the same boys club as Gordon Parr.

Was coached by City schoolboy scout Jack Hargreaves, who played for City after transferring from Leeds. His claim to fame was that at that time, 1960ish, he had played at every ground in the football league.

Played in the same school team as Trevor Tainton.     

Played in same team as Ronnie Dicks, father of Julian and Grantley and once coached them.

Got skinned by Paul Cheesely in a charity match.

Once nodded to SL and Maggie when walking around the docks.

Oh yeah, me and Ozzie Osbourne went to different schools together.

24 minutes ago, redysteadygo said:

Some for the old uns.

Went to the same boys club as Gordon Parr.

Was coached by City schoolboy scout Jack Hargreaves, who played for City after transferring from Leeds. His claim to fame was that at that time, 1960ish, he had played at every ground in the football league.

Played in the same school team as Trevor Tainton.     

Played in same team as Ronnie Dicks, father of Julian and Grantley and once coached them.

Got skinned by Paul Cheesely in a charity match.

Once nodded to SL and Maggie when walking around the docks.

Oh yeah, me and Ozzie Osbourne went to different schools together.

But presumably not at the same time?

3 hours ago, gornagain said:

1. Keith Fear was 2 years ahead of me at school

2. I was in the same pub as Bobby Gould - The Bell, Redcliff (closed)

3. I was in the same pub as John Ward - The Sussex, Streatham (closed) after Wolves last game of the season at Palace

4. I may live on the same planet as Messi

Bumped into John Ward and Carlisle team at a hotel in Windsor when we were visiting Legoland.  Nice guy.  Then when we got married, he was at the Aztec Hotel with Carlisle too.  Think he was stalking us!!

1 hour ago, Davefevs said:

Bumped into John Ward and Carlisle team at a hotel in Windsor when we were visiting Legoland.  Nice guy.  Then when we got married, he was at the Aztec Hotel with Carlisle too.  Think he was stalking us!!

You married John Ward?Now that is a claim to fame.

10 hours ago, BigTone said:

I was in some TV ads, a building show on Discovery and in a film with Cate Blanchett & Colin Farrell.

Football wise ...... not alot

Also went to a concert at the Largs pub in Adelaide yonks ago to see a band called the Farriss Brothers. Went on the tear with them after the gig which was a wild night.  Not long later they changed their name to INXS.

Also saw a band called AC/DC at the same pub on another occasion.

On 02/05/2020 at 13:50, Nogbad the Bad said:

Not Primary, my brother was in Nick Cousins & Nige Durie's year in secondary school (BGS)

The Cousins' family lived on Shirehampton Road iirc, so I guess you're talking about Sea Mills Primary?

Nick used to come round our house often later on too, he was a lot more sporty than Robin!

The Cousins lived in Dingle Close, just off Shirehampton Road.

My claim to fame is that I was the first person in Bristol to be fined for not picking up after their dog!

My dad and my uncle were also postmen with Arthur Milton and my sisters Godfathers brother was in the band The Housemartins (Stan Cullimore).

11 minutes ago, Red Homer said:

The Cousins lived in Dingle Close, just off Shirehampton Road.

My claim to fame is that I was the first person in Bristol to be fined for not picking up after their dog!

My dad and my uncle were also postmen with Arthur Milton and my sisters Godfathers brother was in the band The Housemartins (Stan Cullimore).

Last time I saw Stan he was playing for Forest !!

1 hour ago, BigTone said:

Also went to a concert at the Largs pub in Adelaide yonks ago to see a band called the Farriss Brothers. Went on the tear with them after the gig which was a wild night.  Not long later they changed their name to INXS.

You sound like Nessa from Gavin and Stacey!

15 minutes ago, BigTone said:

Sorry but who ?

A comedy character - Nessa comes up with elaborate stories about famous people she knows / worked with / slept with, which incredibly are apparently true. 

Bet the 'INXS' gig was good - second one i ever went to but that was at Brum NEC (and with no night out with the band).

9 hours ago, steveybadger said:

A comedy character - Nessa comes up with elaborate stories about famous people she knows / worked with / slept with, which incredibly are apparently true. 

Bet the 'INXS' gig was good - second one i ever went to but that was at Brum NEC (and with no night out with the band).

Pardon my ignorance.

It was ok but as I say it was before they changed their name. Played a lot of covers.

11 hours ago, BigTone said:

Now your talking BigTone, what a venue that was in the 70's, probably a band not so well known on this site but "Cold Chisel" were regulars there as well.

40 minutes ago, bpexile said:

Now your talking BigTone, what a venue that was in the 70's, probably a band not so well known on this site but "Cold Chisel" were regulars there as well.

Saw them when they first started at the old Flamingo Ballroom in Christie's Beach. Love them. Great band. They were originally known as The Barking Spiders. My brother in law lived in Elizabeth and went to school with Jimmy and his brother Swanee. The Angel's were another great live Adelaide band. The Old Lion was another great venue. As you were around during that era do you remember the British Hotel (just up the road from the Old Lion) and Roland the rather eccentric & theatrical owner ?

19 minutes ago, cider hoss rules said:

You might need to explain that for the benefit of our younger listeners...…...

Not who Bryan Drysdale was, what an LP is!

And get 6 of you in a phonebox and dial 16.

2 hours ago, BigTone said:

Saw them when they first started at the old Flamingo Ballroom in Christie's Beach. Love them. Great band. They were originally known as The Barking Spiders. My brother in law lived in Elizabeth and went to school with Jimmy and his brother Swanee. The Angel's were another great live Adelaide band. The Old Lion was another great venue. As you were around during that era do you remember the British Hotel (just up the road from the Old Lion) and Roland the rather eccentric & theatrical owner ?

Hi Tone, I remember the Old Lion & The British but not Roland. I remember John Swann in the early days, if you looked at him he was ready to take a swing at you, a great voice though. I also remember playing darts in Elizabeth in the early days & Jimmy B was in the pub scrounging drinks, he went to school with one of my team mates & spent a bit of time with us, he could buy Elizabeth these days & a great bloke to go with it.

Cheers Tone

25 minutes ago, bpexile said:

Hi Tone, I remember the Old Lion & The British but not Roland. I remember John Swann in the early days, if you looked at him he was ready to take a swing at you, a great voice though. I also remember playing darts in Elizabeth in the early days & Jimmy B was in the pub scrounging drinks, he went to school with one of my team mates & spent a bit of time with us, he could buy Elizabeth these days & a great bloke to go with it.

Cheers Tone

Roland used to talk mostly in Shakespeare quotes which was quite amusing. Best thing about the British Hotel was that you could buy a steak from the bar along with your beer and then cook it yourself outside on the BBQ.

My Brother in Law and Nephew still see Swanee from time to time and he apparently is more of a songwriter these days than a performer.  Last I heard Jimmy was living in Bowral, NSW but not sure if that is still the case.  

I do miss a lot about Adelaide from back in those days especially the Drive In Movies. I think Gepps Cross is the only one left now. Also, who can forget a Pie Floater from the pie cart outside Adelaide station.

Archived