IGNORED

Tenuous claims to fame

MrBibs

On 03/05/2020 at 11:03, Miah Dennehy said:

I bought an office water dispenser off him and also was in the same team as him in 6 a side cricket at the County Ground for a Rob Newman testimonial thing.

Break times at junior school consisted of me, Keith Curle plus one other, take on the rest of the class (We always won)

Been on the piss in Newcastle with Dennis Smith & Paul Bracewell (Very strange night that was)

Known lots of lower league footballers well and through them have ended up drinking with 'bigger' names. John Aldridge and Mark Wright (likes a fight) spring to mind.

Bromley Heath?

When I was 9 I interviewed Peter Shilton for my school “radio” (actually a reel to reel tape played in assembly). His dad ran our local grocer’s when I was a kid.

My grandad was a caretaker at Gary Lineker’s school.

I lived next door to Danny Coles for a few months in 2004/5. My daughter still hasn’t forgiven me for not taking him up on the offer of us going round to his New Year’s Day party, with loads of City players in attendance. (I think he was just being polite, and I was massively hungover).

The last time I ever played football was at Ashton Gate with Scott Murray. We’d hired the pitch and he was our very enthusiastic  host for the day. After our 90 minutes was up he insisted on having a kickaround with everyone present playing - about 16 a side, with Scotty playing for whichever team had the ball.

On 06/05/2020 at 22:54, Nogbad the Bad said:

There's a Bill Pocock, born in Bristol 24.2.1884 in 'Bristol City Football Club The First Hundred Years'.

Signed from St.Francis June 1919, moved to St Johnstone July 1926.

From 1919/20 - 1925/26, he made 255 apps. for City in all competitions, scoring 47 goals.

Yeah that's who I think it is. Although according to my family tree he was born in 1894 (which means he would have started playing for City at 25 rather than 35). I'm trying to get more detail from my father in law who has done the tree. 

Me and a mate used to run a karaoke session at a pub in Fishponds about 20 years ago. One Thursday Scott Murray walked in with a mate and did a rendition of something (can't remember what). Let's just say his footie was better than his singing ?. He and his mate we're making their way up fishponds road for a few more drinks so I warned him about the many Gas who frequent fishponds. 

On 02/05/2020 at 21:59, Davefevs said:

Non football related one, but Mrs F was in Beverley Hills visiting a friend when this old guy came up to her and asked her where Bank of America was. She told him he was right by it, and off he walked.  Mrs F’s friend came out of a shop and said “what were you doing talking to Charlton Heston”!  Mrs F had no idea.

The next time she saw him was as a waxwork.E39AD4E7-7F6E-482D-A120-2428BF692111.thumb.jpeg.1000c53bcb40ff4352ca6892d48e36b2.jpeg

the waxwork was probably a better actor

Watching the World Cup rewind on BBC reminded me that when I was working in Germany, we lived in the same hotel that the Holland team stayed in 1974 where the infamous partying by that team took place, my claim is that I lived in the room next door to the one Johan Cruyff stayed in! Is that tenuous enough? Btw it was also the room that Chris deBurgh always requested and stayed in when he visited the Rhineland.

Before leaving for Oz in 1970 I went to the Top Rank in Bristol with some mates for a sendoff show. I was fortunate to meet my best mates brother-in-law, Trevor Tainton. He didn't stay for long but in the short chat we had he seemed a very nice & sincere guy, which of course he went on to prove later.

That same night I found out that I shared my birthday with that lowlife Paul Gadd/Raven - Gary Glitter :facepalm::gaah:, who in his earlier days was a regular act in the Top Rank.

Remember a few years back at Marylebone Station with my Dad, queuing for a coffee and who should be queuing in front of me? No less than Arsenal hardman defender Martin Keown. Remarkably shorter than I thought and chuffing ugly, too. Like a pock marked chimpanzee.

14 hours ago, Med/MadHatter said:

Watching the World Cup rewind on BBC reminded me that when I was working in Germany, we lived in the same hotel that the Holland team stayed in 1974 where the infamous partying by that team took place, my claim is that I lived in the room next door to the one Johan Cruyff stayed in! Is that tenuous enough? Btw it was also the room that Chris deBurgh always requested and stayed in when he visited the Rhineland.

Stayed in the same hotel as the Holland squad in the south of France in 1998. Used to sit around the pool with them. Got my mates Arsenal top signed by Overmars.

1. Aaron Brown used to go out with my sons' childminders daughter - he came to my sister's wedding

2. My sister's sister in law is Jamie Oliver's PA

3. I once told Tommy Banner that he is Tommy Banner.  I'm sure he appreciated my observation

4.I was in the same class in school as the bloke who designed the film posters for both Reservoir Dogs and Pulp Fiction (and Spice Girls the movie but he doesn't talk about that one).  He's from Clevedon

I went to the wedding of a friend of mine in Banwell. At the reception we were sat next to a very nice couple. They introduced themselves as Joan and Arthur, Arthur describing themselves as old retainers of the groom's family.

Conversation turned to sport, and eventually cricket. I ventured the opinion that although I loved the game it was a glorious waste of time - when your side are fielding you spend a lot of time standing in a field, and when your side are batting there's much time spent sat down just watching.

Joan looked at Arthur and laughed. I then glanced at their their names on the place setting.

Arthur Milton. The last man to play both football and cricket for England. A more modest and pleasant fellow you couldn't wish to meet. 

Archived