IGNORED

The pain when City never turned up.

Alan Dicks

Here’s my pain level over the past 30 years.

1 Screwing up the title at Twerton

2 The Hull defeat at Wembley , only in 2nd place because the booze numbed it.

3 A complete cock up v Brighton at the Milstad.

4 Walsall play off final 2nd leg replay.

5 Gordon’s pen miss in front of the EE, a win would have seen us in the play offs.

6 Every game we’ve been 2 or 3 up at HT and cocked up.

What games are top of your pain list?

Last season vs Derby, dominating them, silly red, losing to ******* Frank Lampard's wonderful amazing cosmic Derby County & missing out on the playoffs to a team absolutely carried by Chelsea loans.

9 minutes ago, glen humphries said:

Brighton in the playoffs I was more pissed off than gutted, hull at Wembley was devastating took me a while to get over that 1.

I was the opposite. I was gutted after the Brighton game and drank myself to oblivion when I got back to Bristol.

For the Hull game I was over it before I got back into Marylebone. 

Season 2001-2002, Xmas / New Year's period due to play QPR at the Gate for the only game I could get to while back in blighty for the holidays.  None of the players turned up. Literally, didn't turn up.  Bastards. 

Mind you nobody else did either, something about a frozen pitch. Got to take my wife shopping in Broadmead instead. Happy Days.

2 minutes ago, One Team In Keynsham said:

I was the opposite. I was gutted after the Brighton game and drank myself to oblivion when I got back to Bristol.

For the Hull game I was over it before I got back into Marylebone. 

After the hull game I was walking back to the tube station when I saw a mate of mine who is a tough man in floods of tears it just really got to me and I can still picture it in my mind now , don’t think I’ll ever forget it.

29 minutes ago, Alan Dicks said:

Here’s my pain level over the past 30 years.

1 Screwing up the title at Twerton

2 The Hull defeat at Wembley , only in 2nd place because the booze numbed it.

3 A complete cock up v Brighton at the Milstad.

4 Walsall play off final 2nd leg replay.

5 Gordon’s pen miss in front of the EE, a win would have seen us in the play offs.

6 Every game we’ve been 2 or 3 up at HT and cocked up.

What games are top of your pain list?

Could throw in the defeat at Preston on the final day 1997-8, when I recall a win would have given us the title.

Edit: Just checked, another 2 May shitshow.

Brighton is the top one for me, Hull was more disbelief that we had made it that far.

Another one was getting smashed at Blackpool to miss out on the play offs in the early 2000's.

Also the endless 3-2 defeats after being 2-0 up. Definitely our strong suit throwing those games away.

28 minutes ago, Seneca the Younger said:

Last season vs Derby, dominating them, silly red, losing to ******* Frank Lampard's wonderful amazing cosmic Derby County & missing out on the playoffs to a team absolutely carried by Chelsea loans.

Not sure I remember dominating them but was my lad’s first ever live City defeat so will probably be remembered by him!

58 minutes ago, Seneca the Younger said:

Not sure we were in a position to be insulting teams based on how many Chelsea loans they had 

Hull for me.

Brighton was a very depressing on the day - we just didn't show up after what had been a decent season.

Hull on the other hand cost us a place in the Prem. Thought we played ok, were unlucky and the better side and should have won. The next year would have been my son's last before going to Uni. We planned to do all 38. B*gger!

Today, at home against Preston.  Just did not turn up, as usual against PNE. Luckily Preston didn't turn up either.  

Other than that,  Brighton in Cardiff is the worst one for me.  After 4 years of trying we expected to get out of that damned League 1, or at least to give it a bloody good go in the final.  Hull was gutting, but as we didn't expect to get anywhere near the play-offs at the start of that season, not as bad as the Brighton debacle.  

I remember leaving Wembley after the Hull defeat. We had beer on the coach so we were all pretty chirpy despite having lost. Drinking all the way up to Wembley must have had some effect. As we passed the Hull fans outside Wembley we couldn't believe how miserable some of them looked. you would have thought they had lost not us. It was almost as if they had been told they would have to watch the sags in future!  That day will live long but the debacle against Brighton in Cardiff was the worst I have felt watching City, and I watched us go from Div 1 to Div 4 in successive years.

Damn I’ve just remembered Cardiff in the 2nd leg play off game at Ashton Gate.

At that time we had the bragging rights over them for two decades or so.

We threw the kitchen sink at them that night but couldn’t overturn the 1 nill advantage they had from the first leg.

The thing about the Brighton game was that we didnt just bottle that game. It was a culmination of bottlings under Danny Wilson.

2001/02. Top going into new year. Then we end 7th.

2002/03. 3rd, make the playoffs against Cardiff who we beat twice and lose.

2003/04. Win 11 games in a row. Didnt lose a League match against the top 6. Had numerous chances to pop QPR into 2nd and we couldn't even beat the likes of Stockport and Oldham. Then there was Lee Miller's miss and the 0-0 home draw vs Brighton, if we'd have won we'd have gone up automatically. Then came the play off final...

1 hour ago, The Batman said:

The Brighton game is the obvious one but just a month before, the Swindon draw and Lee Miller's miss. 

That goes in, we go up automatically and Brighton doesn't happen. 

Everybody taljs about the Lee Miller miss, but I was right behind that and it was going in until the last bounce when it veered and hit the post. Everybody seems to forget that Scotty (bless him) missed two equally good chances that day. 

Never felt so bad than after the Hull game. I still can’t bring myself to watch the highlights of it! We’d parked up at a tube station further out of London and when we got back to the minibus barely a word was said all the way back to Bristol.

Stoke away in April 2008. We were second, Stoke were third going into the game and we never showed up. Had we won that, we’d have gone up in second. Stoke went on to finish second, we lost to Hull at Wembley. 

Walsh cracking the post in the League Cup semi-final second leg at the Gate must be up there for those who went. Before my time, though.

I remember Miller missing that sitter at Swindon very well. 

3 hours ago, cidercity1987 said:

Brighton is the top one for me, Hull was more disbelief that we had made it that far.

Another one was getting smashed at Blackpool to miss out on the play offs in the early 2000's.

Also the endless 3-2 defeats after being 2-0 up. Definitely our strong suit throwing those games away.

That Blackpool game, remember it and was there but rarely gets mentioned, in some temporary away stand on side of pitch that was literally falling apart, were we not 3-0 down at half time or something?

33 minutes ago, MC RISK77 said:

Wolves at home on New Year’s Eve. 1-0 up and a man up and fielding messed everything up with a rush of blood...think we could have gone 2nd that day 

This felt very hard to take at the time, but I don’t think it was the season defining game people make it out to be. We were decimated with injuries by that point Of the season and we’d been running on empty for weeks. Don’t think we’d have gone on to finish in the playoffs let alone the autos even if we’d won that night.

Archived