IGNORED

The pain when City never turned up.

Alan Dicks

27 minutes ago, Club and Country said:

That Blackpool game, remember it and was there but rarely gets mentioned, in some temporary away stand on side of pitch that was literally falling apart, were we not 3-0 down at half time or something?

4-0 down at HT ... hated every minute of that game 

Brighton was just awful. Brighton seemed more interested in their ground situation rather than the match result. ..and we still contrived to serve up a shite fest. 

Hull, disappointing but not at the same level. 

After fifty plus years, I can almost guarantee if we pull a big crowd whether by attraction of opposition, importance of result or reduced prices, we’ll fluff our lines.

It’s our DNA. 

7 hours ago, One Team In Keynsham said:

Could throw in the defeat at Preston on the final day 1997-8, when I recall a win would have given us the title.

Edit: Just checked, another 2 May shitshow.

Remember that one all too well. All we had to do was match whatever Watford did, win, lose or draw as we were ahead on goal difference going into the game. For Preston it was a nothing game as they were well down in mid table and safe. 

Sadly, the man who'd got most of our goals that season had been sold to Man City. Jason Roberts had ****** off to the sags in a huff after 3 games on loan because Ward wouldn't let him play in an international friendly so we were left with "big" Sean Mccarthy as our only striker on the pitch. 

We start well and Big Sean scores his one and only goal for us making it 1-0. However, the dipshit gets injured in the celebration, hobbles off and were left with Greg Goodridge playing up front as a make do striker. 

I don't think we had another shot on target. 

Preston won 2-1. Watford had also come back from behind to win and they took the title by three points. 

4 hours ago, Midlands Robin said:

Remember that one all too well. All we had to do was match whatever Watford did, win, lose or draw as we were ahead on goal difference going into the game. For Preston it was a nothing game as they were well down in mid table and safe. 

Sadly, the man who'd got most of our goals that season had been sold to Man City. Jason Roberts had ****** off to the sags in a huff after 3 games on loan because Ward wouldn't let him play in an international friendly so we were left with "big" Sean Mccarthy as our only striker on the pitch. 

We start well and Big Sean scores his one and only goal for us making it 1-0. However, the dipshit gets injured in the celebration, hobbles off and were left with Greg Goodridge playing up front as a make do striker. 

I don't think we had another shot on target. 

Preston won 2-1. Watford had also come back from behind to win and they took the title by three points. 

Didn't all 3 goals come very early on?

On 02/05/2020 at 18:56, One Team In Keynsham said:

Could throw in the defeat at Preston on the final day 1997-8, when I recall a win would have given us the title.

Edit: Just checked, another 2 May shitshow.

I was there when their fans sang "You're shit and you'll come straight back down!"

And we did!

As a kid went to Bournemouth for my first away game for my birthday with my dad and we got battered 4-0, think they had a young Jermaine Defoe playing up front and Wade Elliott pulling the strings in midfield.

Can still remember the chants of "dodgy keeper" at Steve Phillips from all four sides of the ground!

Not sure if I’m getting Blackpool(a) 2002ish mixed up as I was only young at the time but did we miss out on the play offs around at that time again v Blackpool? But I’m sure this was a home game. 

We needed a result to get into the play offs at home and I swear Blackpool were involved in the hunt somehow?

Pretty sure I was in the eastend.

Got to be hull. F'ing grandad getting the winner. I know we were massively over achieving, but that just makes it worse. 

I remember getting a taxi to the Preston home game before and drive saying how nice I would be for 'rovers' to be in the prem.  Hate that shite , if we won that game the pundits would stop calling us 'bristol' and that to me is the most important thing in football! 

Bristol city. Know that bi-t-ch

19 minutes ago, Robin-hugh-blind said:

Got to be hull. F'ing grandad getting the winner. I know we were massively over achieving, but that just makes it worse. 

I remember getting a taxi to the Preston home game before and drive saying how nice I would be for 'rovers' to be in the prem.  Hate that shite , if we won that game the pundits would stop calling us 'bristol' and that to me is the most important thing in football! 

Bristol city. Know that bi-t-ch

Is that an Asian martial art?

2 hours ago, Dolman_Stand said:

As a kid went to Bournemouth for my first away game for my birthday with my dad and we got battered 4-0, think they had a young Jermaine Defoe playing up front and Wade Elliott pulling the strings in midfield.

Can still remember the chants of "dodgy keeper" at Steve Phillips from all four sides of the ground!

I remember that! Early 2000s? I think Wade Elliott notched a couple of goals against us that day ...

1 hour ago, Lew-T said:

Not sure if I’m getting Blackpool(a) 2002ish mixed up as I was only young at the time but did we miss out on the play offs around at that time again v Blackpool? But I’m sure this was a home game. 

We needed a result to get into the play offs at home and I swear Blackpool were involved in the hunt somehow?

Pretty sure I was in the eastend.

You’d have been alone in the East End! It was an away game - April 2002 - Blackpool 5 Bristol City 1 - we were 4-0 down after half an hour ...

not seen it mentioned yet on this thread, but being stuffed by the gas 4-0 was definitely rough. Likewise, losing 4-2 to them at home after we'd won the first leg 3-1 was another kick in the balls served up by City, and "it was only the league cup" shouldn't be used as an excuse. 

There's been a long line of play off disappointments that have already been covered, so I'll add one to the pot that I haven't seen listed yet, that being going out to Brentford in the 90s with barely a fight. 

Oh, and what about being taken apart by Cardiff in the league at home. 

Can we shut this thread please :D 

Cambridge away, FA cup SECOND replay 1990.

Having already seen off Swindon in R2, then sending Chelsea packing in R3 - main game on Match of the Day no less!

As a prize we get 'lowly' Cambridge Utd in R4, batter them for 90 minutes but they cling on for a 0-0.

Go to the replay, 1-1 draw (AET) but it's the days of further replays, so a week later we traipse back up there, only for some reason the team have a mare and we get dicked 5-1.

This was in the days when getting to Cambridge took ages and ages as well.

5 minutes ago, cider hoss rules said:

Having already seen off Swindon in R2, then sending Chelsea packing in R3 - main game on Match of the Day no less!

As a prize we get 'lowly' Cambridge Utd in R4, batter them for 90 minutes but they cling on for a 0-0.

Go to the replay, 1-1 draw (AET) but it's the days of further replays, so a week later we traipse back up there, only for some reason the team have a mare and we get dicked 5-1.

Cambridge was round 5 hoss...... Biggest chance to be in quarter finals for years and typical city turn up..... 

5 minutes ago, cider hoss rules said:

I recall we had to walk across a field in the dark from the coaches to the ground - took all the skin off my shin tripping over a shopping trolley. Steve Claridge & John Taylor ripped us apart that night.

6 minutes ago, archie andrews said:

Cambridge was round 5 hoss...... Biggest chance to be in quarter finals for years and typical city turn up..... 

You are indeed correct sir, Swindle was R3, my bad. Forgot Barnet in R1, thought Fulham was the first game that season.

image.png.bb00e2717de0d234eafd44dd593b25f5.png

On 03/05/2020 at 01:09, Mr X said:

Never felt so bad than after the Hull game. I still can’t bring myself to watch the highlights of it! We’d parked up at a tube station further out of London and when we got back to the minibus barely a word was said all the way back to Bristol.

I was living in Germany at the time and went home after the game . I had some very gracious Hull fans consoling me on the tube saying at least my trip home to Bristol isn’t as bad as theirs back to Hull?‍♂️

On 02/05/2020 at 20:20, Alan Dicks said:

Damn I’ve just remembered Cardiff in the 2nd leg play off game at Ashton Gate.

At that time we had the bragging rights over them for two decades or so.

We threw the kitchen sink at them that night but couldn’t overturn the 1 nill advantage they had from the first leg.

There keeper had the game of his life that night!!

9 hours ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

I remember that! Early 2000s? I think Wade Elliott notched a couple of goals against us that day ...

He did indeed, I did get my own back on the old man many years later taking his to Villa Park on New Years Day for the 5-0 drubbing, we've called it quits now.

2 hours ago, cider hoss rules said:

Cambridge in the LDV Vans Trophy Area Final was another dissapointment, pretty sure their striker was a mile offside for one of their goals? (Armand One??)

3 hours ago, cider hoss rules said:

That was some Cambridge side back then though, they went from Div 4 to the championship (2nd tier) in consecutive seasons and then got to the play offs in their first season in the championship - they were very nearly members of the first premier league season...

I’ve got a real soft spot for Cambridge United for very personal reasons. Used to drive up there loads - hellish journey back then

14 minutes ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

That was some Cambridge side back then though, they went from Div 4 to the championship (2nd tier) in consecutive seasons and then got to the play offs in their first season in the championship - they were very nearly members of the first premier league season...

I’ve got a real soft spot for Cambridge United for very personal reasons. Used to drive up there loads - hellish journey back then

Did we ever establish whether there was any truth in the rumour that LJ was a ball boy at one or both of those cup games? Gary was assistant manager to John Beck at the time I think.

16 minutes ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

Wasn't Johnson Sr part of the coaching team as well through those years?

1 hour ago, Lanterne Rouge said:

Did we ever establish whether there was any truth in the rumour that LJ was a ball boy at one or both of those cup games? Gary was assistant manager to John Beck at the time I think.

1 hour ago, Dolman_Stand said:

Wasn't Johnson Sr part of the coaching team as well through those years?

Gary Johnson was reserve team manager at Cambridge in 1988, then he was assistant manager from 1990 then he was appointed manager in 1992. So yep he was very much part of that Cambridge setup that very nearly went from Div 4 to the premier league in successive seasons! I have heard LJ say he is a Cambridge fan and he was a ball boy, so he could well have been on duty during those cup games...

On 02/05/2020 at 19:37, The Horse With No Name said:

All the above, especially Brighton. But for me it was the Birmingham game on the last day of the season when anything other than a win for them would have them relegated. Massive crowd, and basically we, literally in my view, let them have it. Fuming doesnt come close.

I remember speaking to some Birmingham fans outside before the game. They weren't very optimistic but I said we won't bother showing up. Straight from the off Birmingham were at it. Would've loved to see them go down as they always got away with it in previous seasons 

Archived