IGNORED

Happy May 3rd

lenred

I remember listening to the radio on stream, logged in to the forum chatroom. Arguably the most entertaining post-match chat thread ever, whilst listening to the calls flooding into to Twentyman. The best being the chap in tears after living through the Thatcher years and divorce.

A few months later I gave my old Macbook to my nephew. I reformatted the hard drive and put a new admin password for him: until he sussed how to do the same, he had to log on to his machine with nonleaguegas thereafter.

I was so convinced it just wouldn’t happen,  that even with minutes remaining of the afternoons action I still thought it just wasn’t going to happen.

It was truly unbelievable, despite their long pre slide to that position.

I was watching soccer Saturday and needed Man Utd to beat Sunderland for £1500. It kept going over to both the United and Rovers games, and they were both hitting the post and bar and missing loads of chances. When the final whistle went, I was jumping round the room like a mad man. My Mrs said, fair play we can pay our holiday off. I shouted I’ve won **** all, but Rovers have gone down!!!!

I was driving home up the A303 after working in Shaftesbury and just turned 5Live on about 4:30 to see how we were getting on at Crawley only to hear it all unfold......……...……...

Happy days! I laughed so much I had to pull in to Cartgate services to recover.

Like a lot I imagine, my phone went mental for the next hour with texts mainly on the theme of `hahahahahaha`

Pretty sure we drew 1-1 at Crawley that day.

When Radio Bristol went over to the game all you could hear in the background was City fans singing “5 minutes until the Gas go down” over & over again.

******* hilarious, forget what happened 30 years ago, this only happened 6 years ago & will never be forgotten.

Bet Radio Bristol don’t ask anyone to phone in with their memories of this (especially that poor horse).

What was bonkers about this was two other teams had to win and rovers had to lose, it was just so unlikely, especially as after about half an hour in one of the other sides were losing if I remember correctly. 

Then all within about ten second half minutes it all starting coming together, the other two teams had taken leads and I can remember being sat at home thinking “this is actually on” 

I will never forget Stelling saying moments after me thinking this that they were off to the Mem for a big big goal in the L2 relegation fight.

The rest boys, as they say, is history.

28 minutes ago, RobArnold10 said:

What was bonkers about this was two other teams had to win and rovers had to lose, it was just so unlikely, especially as after about half an hour in one of the other sides were losing if I remember correctly. 

Then all within about ten second half minutes it all starting coming together, the other two teams had taken leads and I can remember being sat at home thinking “this is actually on” 

I will never forget Stelling saying moments after me thinking this that they were off to the Mem for a big big goal in the L2 relegation fight.

The rest boys, as they say, is history.

Didn't they get the job done for safety (sic) by winning at Wycombe the previous week?

I was sure it wouldn't happen, and I knew if I listened or watched there would be gloating/celebrating gAss somewhere, so I did chores.
Borrowed the firms van and went to B&Q to pick up some fencing. For some reason the radio in the car had packed up so from the time I dropped the van back until I got home, I didn't hear a thing. Walk in with minutes left and flicked Sky sports centre on. 
My Mrs wondered what was going on as I tried to explain why I was celebrating a Mansfield win ?

Hastily arranged BBQ with a few friends who weren't even City supporters but we partied anyway , happy days.

The funniest moment to ever happen in football. Their complete arrogance of storming Wycombe's pitch thinking they've stayed up and to mock the Wycombe fans in the process, just shows what type of club they are. All the better losing in your OWN kit ??.

It gets forgotten about they were only in the bottom two for only 70 minutes in the whole season.. all they needed was a draw against a team who couldn't even be ****** to bring their own kit.. you couldn't write it.

Horses punched, players and directors abused, Dopey crying on the pitch.. and if I remember correctly one Saghead went up to him and started screaming in his face.. pure excellence :laugh:

Their season in the conference was full of hilarity too, losing to Braintree, Altringham, attacking their own players once again.. unable to win a league with literally part time teams.. too funny.

What with their pending financial doom I'm expecting some more comical moments In the very near future...

The funniest thing was their pitch invasion at Wycombe the week before, celebrating their great escape.

Then for Mansfield to seal their relegation a week later in Gas clobber!

You couldn’t write it.

5 minutes ago, Lew-T said:

The funniest thing was their pitch invasion at Wycombe the week before, celebrating their great escape.

Then for Mansfield to seal their relegation a week later in Gas clobber!

You couldn’t write it.

I went to a party at the lamb on Banjo the night of the Wycombe game, man they were full of it. I still give some of those there a wry smile when I see them and they know exactly what I'm on about. :)

The most i have ever laughed listening to Radio Bristol.

Think i started listening with 20 mins to go and Rovers were battering Mansfield the whole time, bloody hilarious.

The guy who phoned Twentyman saying he had been through two divorces and the Thatcher years just finished me off, in tears with laughter.

Is there somewhere i can listen to that again? 

So many funny things happened that day, all i can say is......thank you Bristol Rovers

Archived