IGNORED

Scott Murray Testimonial

cider head

Should Scott Murray Be Granted A Testimonial?  

232 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

38 minutes ago, Dolman_Stand said:

Did Tinnion ever get one?

He had a testimonial season -  which was the same year he became manager 

16 minutes ago, TomF said:

He had a testimonial season -  which was the same year he became manager 

He did. Organised by David Lloyd.  
One event organised by the then SC was a quiz night which raised roughly a grand iirc.

All this Testimonial talk got me thinking how many players have had one at Bristol City, there are a few, have I missed any out?

John Shaw v West Brom
Steve Phillips v Bristol Rovers Legends
Billy Wedlock Testimonial year
Louis Carey v Bristol Rovers
Gerry Gow v Man City
Trevor Tainton v Bristol Rovers
Chris Garland v Man Utd
Geoff Merrick v Derek Dougan Xl
Gerry Sharpe v Derby County
Rob Newman v Aston Villa
Andy Llewellyn v Swindon
Buster Footman v Man Utd
Bryan Drysdale v Hereford
Gordon Parr v Chelsea
Jack Connor v Wolves
Terry Bush & Tony Ford v Bristol Rovers
Terry Bush v West Brom
Paul Cheesley v Norwich
John Atyeo v Leeds
Brian Tinnion Testimonial year
Les Bardsley testimonial year 21 years of Bristol sport

Ashton gate 8 testimonial match ipswich v southampton

Dave Merringtons testimonial match Bristol city v Englands 66 world cup squad

So in a way Terry Bush got granted 2 testimonials (there are match  programs) Merrick, Garland,  Tainton in a way also got 2 testimonials.

8 hours ago, ITK..... said:

I voted no. Rules are rules. He's done well financially out of the club and he's still employed. Don't let heart rule over your head. 

9 hours ago, cidered abroad said:

And been well paid.

Surely testimonials or benefit games are now outdated. They were, I suspect, introduced over a century ago when professional sports persons were hardly paid a wage any greater than the highest industrial earners.

12 hours ago, New Dazzler said:

I voted no, I just do not agree with testimonials for footballers.  Why should fans pay their hard earned money to watch a meaningless match, just to bolster the bank account of someone who has been paid a fortune for the privilege of doing a job they love, and that we would all probably love to do for a fraction of the money?  Please do not get me wrong, Scotty has been a great footballer and more for us, but I bet that, over the years, he has earned more than most fans could dream of with our variety of jobs.  My view does not make me a bad, nasty or mean person (some that know me may disagree!) but I apply the same view of any player at any club, however loyal a "servant" they may have been.

How do you know Scott would keep the cash for himself?  Most testimonials these days you read that the player donates every penny to charity, so if Scott did this then those stating that players shouldn’t have a testimonial as they have already earned loads of money playing football don’t have an argument

Assuming that he's not down on his luck and has some need for a cash boost then I'd also say no. He was (and continues to be) a great servant to the club and his legendary status is unquestioned, but I just don't see the need to otherwise pad someone's bank balance who has already done well from the club and continues to be employed by us (of course, he sounds like such a lovely bloke I wouldn't be surprised if he donated the takings to charity or some such, but that's speculation).

If we were to organize a benefit game I would far rather see the Ashton Gate Eight lads getting more for their sacrifice.  Or any number of people (or causes) associated with the club who find themselves in more challenging circumstances. 

It's a nice thought, but I don't see the need. When he does come to actually retire from his day-to-day duties then that's a different story, but at this current point... why?

5 hours ago, cider head said:

All this Testimonial talk got me thinking how many players have had one at Bristol City, there are a few, have I missed any out?

John Shaw v West Brom
Steve Phillips v Bristol Rovers Legends
Billy Wedlock Testimonial year
Louis Carey v Bristol Rovers
Gerry Gow v Man City
Trevor Tainton v Bristol Rovers
Chris Garland v Man Utd
Geoff Merrick v Derek Dougan Xl
Gerry Sharpe v Derby County
Rob Newman v Aston Villa
Andy Llewellyn v Swindon
Buster Footman v Man Utd
Bryan Drysdale v Hereford
Gordon Parr v Chelsea
Jack Connor v Wolves
Terry Bush & Tony Ford v Bristol Rovers
Terry Bush v West Brom
Paul Cheesley v Norwich
John Atyeo v Leeds
Brian Tinnion Testimonial year
Les Bardsley testimonial year 21 years of Bristol sport

Ashton gate 8 testimonial match ipswich v southampton

Dave Merringtons testimonial match Bristol city v Englands 66 world cup squad

So in a way Terry Bush got granted 2 testimonials (there are match  programs) Merrick, Garland,  Tainton in a way also got 2 testimonials.

I thought Biffs was against Crystal Palace??

Seem to remember a caricature of him on the programme and Wright and Bright tearing us a new one??

1 hour ago, eastonboy said:

Seem to remember a caricature of him on the programme and Wright and Bright tearing us a new one??

No, definitely against Villa. 

Just after promotion and Italia '90 world Cup and we beat David Platt' s Villa 2-0.

I voted no.

And it wasn't because he left for more lucrative offer from Reading.

He was great for us and paid accordingly, he continues to do great work and continues to be paid. Therefore, doesn't need one.

Dare say if he was to organise a charity golf day or something people would support it.

1 hour ago, Bristol Rob said:

I voted no.

And it wasn't because he left for more lucrative offer from Reading.

He was great for us and paid accordingly, he continues to do great work and continues to be paid. Therefore, doesn't need one.

Dare say if he was to organise a charity golf day or something people would support it.

Just out of sincere interest, does that mean testimonials are a thing of the past? 

2 hours ago, eastonboy said:

Not quite sure why but @SuperDziek attacked my "Biff's Benefit" program with a knife and inflicted fairly serious wounds to it many years ago! 

A few further thoughts....

Willem as the opposition - has Murray ever indicated a fondness for that particular side, or is the OP just wanting to see City play them? Would imagine it would cost more to fly in an overseas team than the game would generate, and let's be honest, if we were to play Willem, you would likely want to see out first team play them, rather than Scott, Tins, Bell, Carey etc...

If this is a reward for 10 years service, why not reward former players who had 10 years unbroken service first? You could start with Bobby Reid and Joe Bryan! ?

I already support the NHS through taxation. Whilst I don't mind throwing a couple of quid in a bucket if they want a new kidney machine or something, I'm reluctant to actively support NHS fund raising, not when there are organisations such as CHSW who are entirely reliant on fund raising and have probably seen donations fall through the floor of late. (The same goes got military charities, it's a governmental responsibility, not mine. And seeing how some charities like Help For Heroes spend their money doesn't inspire me).

I would be far happier if there was a fund raiser for people who have lost their jobs because of Covid-19 and can't afford to attend games anymore than raising money for someone who had a great career and continues to work in the same environment.

20 hours ago, TBW said:

Why is your text so big?

Also, stop treating the NHS like a ******* charity.

When people stopped voting for parties that actively cut back the NHS, and start paying more NI then it won’t have to be treated like a charity.

19 hours ago, Bar BS3 said:

4 minutes ago, S25loyal said:

I think everyone knows you don’t want to watch city play willem, no need to keep harking on .

Be reasonable, the vast vast majority of City fans really aren't bothered about playing a team they've probably never even heard of. 

4 hours ago, Bar BS3 said:

No, definitely against Villa. 

Just after promotion and Italia '90 world Cup and we beat David Platt' s Villa 2-0.

I got Platt's and a few others autographs that day, Didn't Platt end up in goal? Sure I remember the second going in against him, possibly a penalty?

Archived