IGNORED

Isle Of Wight - sea eagles

Lanterne Rouge

I was watching something about a young female Osprey at a nest in Poole Harbour the other day. it looks like a breeding attempt will be unsuccessful , but Ospreys even trying to pair up in the south of England is really exciting.

:laugh: My secret is out, i am a birder as well as a big music and footy fan.

PS White-tailed eagles are really cool. you're really lucky if you live on the IOW or the south coast.

42 minutes ago, AppyDAZE said:

The vulture's thinking "aren't you lot supposed to be social distancing?

Whilst thinking, "I'm not a vulture, I'm a European Condor based on the Isle Of Wight and I might be given a Government app!"

7 minutes ago, Norn Iron said:

Whilst thinking, "I'm not a vulture, I'm a European Condor based on the Isle Of Wight and I might be given a Government app!"

I hadn`t thought of that - bloody sea eagles thinking they can ignore the rules on unnecessary travel, who do they think they are?

11 hours ago, Lanterne Rouge said:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-hampshire-52528155

I for one will be keeping an eye out on my regular work trips along the south Devon and Dorset coasts. To see one would be pretty special I think.

Did anyone spot this one over Devon & Somerset? I didn`t see any reports.

Apparently in made it to Coleton Raleigh in East Devon, which is a mile or so from my partner’s house, before turning back home.

The distances these birds travel in a day is amazing. 

4 hours ago, Lanterne Rouge said:

I hadn`t thought of that - bloody sea eagles thinking they can ignore the rules on unnecessary travel, who do they think they are?

14 minutes ago, RedRock said:

Apparently in made it to Coleton Raleigh in East Devon, which is a mile or so from my partner’s house, before turning back home.

Well done  Police, maybe it was Julie H! Turning back a Sea Eagle is one thing but fining it is another!

1 hour ago, AppyDAZE said:

I can see it now... A vulture to a condor: Oh, so you're a Condor are you?  Ooooooooh get you.

Ahh! That Condor moment!

For those of you a lot younger than me, here's an explanation of that quote!

It's still funny!

1 hour ago, Norn Iron said:

Ahh! That Condor moment!

For those of you a lot younger than me, here's an explanation of that quote!

It's still funny!

Not my fav cigar ad. As a young lad back then, i have a better image in mind of that girl rolling the leaves.

32 minutes ago, Lanterne Rouge said:

They really are beautiful birds. I spent a very happy couple of hours watching a pair fishing at Rutland Water a few years back.

It must be a fantastic sight to see them use a line. I wonder what bait they use?

Couldn't resist.

I wanted to see Ospreys when in Scotland in the early 90s. We were by Boat Le Garten which was where the original pairs were released I think back in the early 70s. Should've gone two weeks earlier. They had just checked out.

I understand that they go to Rutland Water and then stop off at Chew Valley as a mate went to see them there.

I've always wanted to see the Red Kites soaring in Wales. Finally did that in late 90s and what a sight. A few years later, Red Kites were released in Staffordshire/Shropshire. I couldn't believe my eyes when one was flying alongside me in the car.

The M40 by Wycombe is a good spot to see them now. They released a few breeding pairs from Wales in County Down a couple of years ago.

Unfortunately, 2 have been killed by farmers and another pair amazingly flew back to their Welah homeland!

Every so often you hear of the Golden Eagles flying over from Donegal for a short visit here on the North Coast. I think it's to do with the euro exchange rate!

Think the bird at Poole must be a right munter. She’s been flaunting herself for weeks with no bloke being remotely interested. Even laid 2 eggs to give a hint of availability but still no takers.

The Rutland Water ospreys, on the other hand,  are a different kettle of fish. The good news is the first chick hatched today. Been watching this pair for a few years. Gets slightly gruesome when they bring back live fish and peck them to bits while they’re still flapping around. Last year, one brought in a big carp that proceeded to slap the chicks around the nest in its death throws. 

Spent a summer holiday in The Trossachs a few years back. Within a few days we'd seen both a Golden Eagle whilst we were half way up Ben Lomond and a pair of Osprey whilst we were in a boat crossing a loch.

Incredible to see them in the wild with you're own eyes. The whole area is just naturally stunning. For any nature lovers its a must.

On 07/05/2020 at 21:52, Med/MadHatter said:

I see alot of bald eagles over here when at work, but alot more golden eagles when I'm at home, they are absolutely huge beautiful birds, love watching them soaring above our house when I'm outside having a relaxing beer!

Nailsea has changed a lot since I moved!

Just checked in the Poole Harbour nestcam for the first time in a couple of days and the three eggs have gone. Anyone know what`s happened? The female didn`t seem to be there hardly at all so I wonder if they`ve been removed for incubation - I hope so anyway and it`s nothing more sinister.

Archived