IGNORED

A comparison. English v German club football

The Bard

2 hours ago, The Bard said:

Of course it is safe there and will be here too.

It's clear that the countries that invested in testing are the ones going back to normal earliest and with the lowest casualties. It's just a matter of testing and isolating, It's really that simple.  

City are a decently run club who seem to have worked out early how this was likely to pan out. The upper echelons of the game here seem clueless -palpably nobody is actually in charge. Just a load of competing interests bickering via the media. 

Not everybody seems quite as sure as you about that.... 

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/sportsnews/article-8303025/Union-Berlin-defender-Neven-Subotic-says-Bundesliga-players-fear-contracting-coronavirus.html

On 06/05/2020 at 16:54, ZiderEyed said:

Demonstrates the immense cultural difference. Football is a social construct so it reflects the conditions of the society in which its played. If you have a problem with the game in the UK, then you have a problem with society in the UK. In my opinion, everyone should. 

Have you been to Germany lately? Ask any third generation German of Turkish origin how included he feels. 

One of the most active far right movements in the world.

More hate based graffiti than you would see see here.

It is really quite wrong to take a snapshot of any society from any football based concept. 

The big difference with football in Germany is that most clubs are largely fan owned. TV revenue is far lower and so apart from Bayern Munich they have to live in the real world.

In terms of the product, the game there is featureless, over technical and frankly quite boring. I would rather watch the championship.

1 hour ago, Clutton Caveman said:

Have you been to Germany lately? Ask any third generation German of Turkish origin how included he feels. 

It is really quite wrong to take a snapshot of any society from any football based concept. 

The big difference with football in Germany is that most clubs are largely fan owned. TV revenue is far lower and so apart from Bayern Munich they have to live in the real world.

In terms of the product, the game there is featureless, over technical and frankly quite boring. I would rather watch the championship.

Would have thought that'd largely be a problem in the former East German areas. Bavaria is notably right wing too however, IIRC.

Agreed about fan owned. It's good and bad tbh...they have just lately got a bigger deal though.

Each to their own but Leipzig winning 4-0 v Tottenham on aggregate and Bayern winning 3-0 at Chelsea earlier this season in the same round is an interesting example of boring and over technical football? Borussia Dortmund v PSG was rather good too, really open game. 

2 hours ago, Clutton Caveman said:

Don't judge Germany by what you may have observed in former East German towns such as Dresden.

1 hour ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Would have thought that'd largely be a problem in the former East German areas. Bavaria is notably right wing too however, IIRC.

Bavaria is conservative and, of course, right of centre, but is far from being extreme.

Munich is an extremely cosmopolitan city and most welcoming to all races, religions and colours.

18 minutes ago, PHILINFRANCE said:

Don't judge Germany by what you may have observed in former East German towns such as Dresden.

Bavaria is conservative and, of course, right of centre, but is far from being extreme.

Munich is an extremely cosmopolitan city and most welcoming to all races, religions and colours.

In fairness, when I say Bavaria I'm talking more widely, conservative- perhaps quite right wing- Munich is of course cosmopolitan and welcoming. A

gree too that the issues/tensions will be most prevalent in the East.

On 08/05/2020 at 22:54, BS4 on Tour... said:

You can buy a Borussia Dortmund season ticket for the same price as a single match ticket at Arsenal ... we’ve got it all wrong 

It's been the same for a long time.

After Porto, under Marinho, won the Champions League, their season tickets were about £100 per season. At the same time, Arsenal were charging nearly £700!

1 hour ago, cidered abroad said:

It's been the same for a long time.

After Porto, under Marinho, won the Champions League, their season tickets were about £100 per season. At the same time, Arsenal were charging nearly £700!

Yep, Dortmund season tickets were £80 not so long ago ...German football looks after its fans...

1 hour ago, Lanterne Rouge said:

Any idea which channel is showing the games? BT Sport?

It's on BT sport LR.

I've been to the BvB v shit 04 derby, it's certainly lively! No love lost between those 2 I can tell you.

BvB all the way, hopefully. 

On 08/05/2020 at 17:26, poland_exile said:

I think arguing over the competitiveness of these respective top flights is really splitting hairs and isn't too far apart from debating the difference between blondes or brunettes. You can make an argument for both, and people have done so very well above (as in, the football leagues not blondes and brunettes).

What can't be disputed is the German fan experience being several levels beyond anything we can even wish for in terms of its pricing and atmosphere, let alone its beer and terracing. Fan experience is absolutely EVERYTHING to me - if I want to watch great football then it's easy enough to watch that on TV. Fan experience on the other hand is the priceless Factor X that makes watching the sport in the flesh the addictive pastime that it is. The Germans have it nailed. England on the other hand has lost it. So for me, given the choice of England or Germany for football it's an absolute no-brainer. 

whilst I admire your dedication to the game I am glad you do it in Germany and not over here. the sight of a geordie with his top off is bad enough.

Archived