IGNORED

JOHNSON SPEAKS ABOUT RESTART AFTER COVID-19

PHILINFRANCE

(From Daily Mail)

MANAGER 

Lee Johnson (Bristol City)

Johnson has been manager since 2016. His club are seventh in the Championship, one point outside the play-offs.

It has been nice to spend a bit of real time with my family because sometimes you can be there but not there; in the room but thinking about team selection.

On the football side, we have a physical Zoom session with the lads on Monday, Wednesday and Friday. The players have programmes to keep to and heart monitor apps. They have to weigh in twice a week so when they walk past their kids' Cadbury's Buttons it makes them think twice!

But the modern professional is different. In my day you'd see players doing two weeks of pre-season in a bin bag because they'd put two stone on boozing in Magaluf. Not now. When I was at Watford in the Premier League we were given a McDonald's gold card and encouraged to have one free meal a day!

Lee Johnson's Bristol City are seventh in the Championship, one point outside the play-offs

+7

I also speak with some of the players in smaller groups. For example we got Han-Noah Massengo, a young midfielder, from Monaco. I've gone through 15 pictures of him, talking about his communication, his thought process, whether his shoulder position is good using the ball. I then show clips of him along with clips of top players in the same position.

Working from home has been good in some ways and there are lessons to be learned. Could we have a recovery day over Zoom rather than coming in for 15-30 minutes? That could work with some of the smaller sides. The million-dollar question is how long we will need to get them match fit. I think four weeks but that will be tough.

If the Government relax lockdown the first thing will be to organise individual sessions — four coaches with a pitch each, along with social distancing.

The boys will drive in with no facilities open at all and take defined, coned-off routes to the pitches. Someone will jet-wash and sterilise equipment after every mini-session. We'll use a food delivery service rather than the canteen.    

Johnson thinks it will take at least four weeks for him to get his players back in tip-top shape

+7Johnson thinks it will take at least four weeks for him to get his players back in tip-top shape 

It'll be groups of six to eight but you can't put the back four together, for example, because if one gets coronavirus you'll have to isolate all of them for 14 days. Then we have to find a way of incorporating matches. A normal pre-season would mean seven games in six weeks. We'll have to do in-house games at best. We might train a lot in our stadium to give them the feel of closed doors.

My players are very keen to get back. They are hardened athletes. Our boys trust the club. They know we would not put them in a situation that was detrimental to their health or that of their families.

For me, it is simple: you don't restart until it's safe. When you do, you resume the current season. I wouldn't have a cut-off point. For the integrity of the game it is the only way to do it. With the contracts, there are a lot of agendas but you would hope a form of common sense would prevail. I've been involved in a play-off push here as a player. I know the buzz around the city. I want to experience it as a manager.  

28090146-8294337-image-a-87_158880089663

+7
  •  

Johnson says the current season must be resumed but only when it is safe to do so

I think we’re very fortunate right now to be regarded as a modern, professional club with a modern, intelligent progressive manager. I think the players will trust the club to do the right thing, I know I’d have more confidence as a player staff member with our current set up than previous ones or where and when we’ve had an ‘old school’ manager at the helm.

We’re also very lucky to have the financial ability take the necessary precautions, not many clubs at our level or below would be able to make offers of circa £10k per night to take over somewhere like Cadbury house for the players and essential staff, including our chefs and kitchen staff. Isolating in an environment like that will give the players piece of mind and the facilities, grounds and location are ideal. It will be interesting hear Cadbury’s response, currently the hotel and club are closed, they could recoup some losses, however a decision may have to wait until we hear a plan from Boris on Sunday.

1 hour ago, Steve Watts said:

He finished his youth career there before turning pro with Brighton in 2000

I know he can't help himself with the self promotion though can he.

Good article apart from that providing an excellent insight into how the pros are keeping fit..

10 minutes ago, Natchfever said:

I know he can't help himself with the self promotion though can he.

Good article apart from that providing an excellent insight into how the pros are keeping fit..

He could always lie and say he wasn’t.

14 minutes ago, RedLionLad said:

He could always lie and say he wasn’t.

Or better still not claim that he was anywhere near that premier league squad because he wasn't.

He could have referred to his experiences as a pro at Yeovil or Bristol City but strangely enough he chose to mention "Pemier League" Watford, where he was a youth player, coincidentally managed by his father.

8 minutes ago, Natchfever said:

Or better still not claim that he was anywhere near that premier league squad because he wasn't.

He could have referred to his experiences as a pro at Yeovil or Bristol City but strangely enough he chose to mention "Pemier League" Watford, where he was a youth player, coincidentally managed by his father.

But the point of it was that he has knowledge of Premier League clubs giving players McDonalds vouchers, and so is valid as a point to how times change.  Seems like just looking for a stick to beat him with.  Apologies if it wasn't but that's certainly how it comes across.

Interesting interpretation by some, for me it reads as when I was at Watford (who were) in the premier league, he doesn't say 'when I was playing in the premier league), the reference to the premier league implies the level of professionalism you'd expect with regards to what he's saying.

10 hours ago, PHILINFRANCE said:

(From Daily Mail)

MANAGER 

Lee Johnson (Bristol City)

Johnson has been manager since 2016. His club are seventh in the Championship, one point outside the play-offs.

It has been nice to spend a bit of real time with my family because sometimes you can be there but not there; in the room but thinking about team selection.

On the football side, we have a physical Zoom session with the lads on Monday, Wednesday and Friday. The players have programmes to keep to and heart monitor apps. They have to weigh in twice a week so when they walk past their kids' Cadbury's Buttons it makes them think twice!

But the modern professional is different. In my day you'd see players doing two weeks of pre-season in a bin bag because they'd put two stone on boozing in Magaluf. Not now. When I was at Watford in the Premier League we were given a McDonald's gold card and encouraged to have one free meal a day!

Lee Johnson's Bristol City are seventh in the Championship, one point outside the play-offs

+7

I also speak with some of the players in smaller groups. For example we got Han-Noah Massengo, a young midfielder, from Monaco. I've gone through 15 pictures of him, talking about his communication, his thought process, whether his shoulder position is good using the ball. I then show clips of him along with clips of top players in the same position.

Working from home has been good in some ways and there are lessons to be learned. Could we have a recovery day over Zoom rather than coming in for 15-30 minutes? That could work with some of the smaller sides. The million-dollar question is how long we will need to get them match fit. I think four weeks but that will be tough.

If the Government relax lockdown the first thing will be to organise individual sessions — four coaches with a pitch each, along with social distancing.

The boys will drive in with no facilities open at all and take defined, coned-off routes to the pitches. Someone will jet-wash and sterilise equipment after every mini-session. We'll use a food delivery service rather than the canteen.    

Johnson thinks it will take at least four weeks for him to get his players back in tip-top shape

+7Johnson thinks it will take at least four weeks for him to get his players back in tip-top shape 

It'll be groups of six to eight but you can't put the back four together, for example, because if one gets coronavirus you'll have to isolate all of them for 14 days. Then we have to find a way of incorporating matches. A normal pre-season would mean seven games in six weeks. We'll have to do in-house games at best. We might train a lot in our stadium to give them the feel of closed doors.

My players are very keen to get back. They are hardened athletes. Our boys trust the club. They know we would not put them in a situation that was detrimental to their health or that of their families.

For me, it is simple: you don't restart until it's safe. When you do, you resume the current season. I wouldn't have a cut-off point. For the integrity of the game it is the only way to do it. With the contracts, there are a lot of agendas but you would hope a form of common sense would prevail. I've been involved in a play-off push here as a player. I know the buzz around the city. I want to experience it as a manager.  

28090146-8294337-image-a-87_158880089663

+7
  •  

Johnson says the current season must be resumed but only when it is safe to do so

A good read that. It`s an interesting insight to how clubs have been approaching this situation and it seems we`ll be ready to go when we`re told we can. The training in the stadium comment was an insight too - getting them used to playing with no crowd there.

I imagine pretty much every club has been doing what we have and I can`t think of much we could be doing differently.

12 minutes ago, Lanterne Rouge said:

A good read that. It`s an interesting insight to how clubs have been approaching this situation and it seems we`ll be ready to go when we`re told we can. The training in the stadium comment was an insight too - getting them used to playing with no crowd there.

I imagine pretty much every club has been doing what we have and I can`t think of much we could be doing differently.

A really good read and insight into what's going on behind the scenes and with a decent owner behind you it proves you're now one of the most stable progressive clubs in the championship 

35 minutes ago, Steve Watts said:

But the point of it was that he has knowledge of Premier League clubs giving players McDonalds vouchers, and so is valid as a point to how times change.  Seems like just looking for a stick to beat him with.  Apologies if it wasn't but that's certainly how it comes across.

He was at Arsenal academy until he was 17 so would have known how that club operated too, but that would probably have been questioned.

He is all about self promotion.

As I said earlier, a very good article apart from that

5 minutes ago, Natchfever said:

He was at Arsenal academy until he was 17 so would have known how that club operated too, but that would probably have been questioned.

Perhaps they didn't given out cards for McDonalds though...

23 minutes ago, Natchfever said:

Give it a rest FFS.  The story that Watford were giving out McDonalds gold cards is much more powerful when you know they were in the PL at that time

2 hours ago, hodge said:

Interesting interpretation by some, for me it reads as when I was at Watford (who were) in the premier league, he doesn't say 'when I was playing in the premier league), the reference to the premier league implies the level of professionalism you'd expect with regards to what he's saying.

Some people are desperate to hate him. 

2 hours ago, Shaun Taylor said:

A really good read and insight into what's going on behind the scenes and with a decent owner behind you it proves you're now one of the most stable progressive clubs in the championship 

This and it’s from a rival club, yet let’s all moan at him

6 hours ago, Natchfever said:

He didnt claim to be near the squad. 

He said he was at Watford.

He said Watford were in the Premier League.

Both are true.

5 hours ago, JamesBCFC said:

He didnt claim to be near the squad. 

He said he was at Watford.

He said Watford were in the Premier League.

Both are true.

Indeed. I was thinking maybe he could have said 'when I was in the youth squad at Watford and they were in the Premier League...'.  As a modest person might choose to say.  But perhaps he did, or something similar and the paper edited it as they are want to do for succinctness without giving any thought to how the remaining words would be interpreted by us OTIBers 

11 hours ago, Steve Watts said:

I agree with what you say but he could have said "When I was a youth player at Watford" but he's allowed the knockers (I am not one) something to tune in on.

35 minutes ago, ukneil said:

Indeed. I was thinking maybe he could have said 'when I was in the youth squad at Watford and they were in the Premier League...'.  As a modest person might choose to say.  But perhaps he did, or something similar and the paper edited it as they are want to do for succinctness without giving any thought to how the remaining words would be interpreted by us OTIBers 

In the context of the article it doesn't actually matter a jot whether he was involved in the first team matches at Watford at that point.

He was providing an anecdote of how the attitudes to fitness, particularly with diet, have changed since he was a player.

21 hours ago, Natchfever said:

Is lockdown really that boring?

22 hours ago, hodge said:

What about the tea lady that stepped up because her dad was the food and beverage manager at Watford and was trialled out serving pie and chips 

Archived