IGNORED

Desert island ALBUMS

AppyDAZE

Still working on mine, so it's over to you lot. It's 10 albums ONLY btw

Actually, I've got "Pepper" and Sheer Heart Attack in my bag already... i just need to narrow it down to 8 more.

NOT easy. If you can't narrow it down to just 10, let's have your I'm definitely taking this one albums.

I'm also sticking The Hurting by Tears for fears in there. For personal reasons and memories, and the fact that is a bloody good album.

A real one off debut that they never really managed to live up to after, in my book. Great record though.

I've succumbed to that 10 albums wheeze on social media (much to my chagrin as I normally don't follow fads like this, but it relieves the boredom these days can bring):

Here are mine (In no particular order, I have unusual musical tastes though - my 'prime' years were the mid-90's so that features heavily)

THE PRODIGY - Music For The Jilted Generation
THE JAM - Sound Affects
LUNIZ - Operation Stackola
ORBITAL - Insides
OASIS - Definitely Maybe
DUBSTAR - Disgraceful
THE DOVE SHACK - This Is The Shack
YELLO - Baby
NORTHSIDE - Chicken Rhythms
MOBY - Everything Is Wrong (Remixes)

15 minutes ago, Ronnie Sinclair said:

I've succumbed to that 10 albums wheeze on social media (much to my chagrin as I normally don't follow fads like this, but it relieves the boredom these days can bring):

Here are mine (In no particular order, I have unusual musical tastes though - my 'prime' years were the mid-90's so that features heavily)

THE PRODIGY - Music For The Jilted Generation
THE JAM - Sound Affects
LUNIZ - Operation Stackola
ORBITAL - Insides
OASIS - Definitely Maybe
DUBSTAR - Disgraceful
THE DOVE SHACK - This Is The Shack
YELLO - Baby
NORTHSIDE - Chicken Rhythms
MOBY - Everything Is Wrong (Remixes)

Thanks for a nice quick response, but i bet that by this time tomorrow you'll have a few different options. The power of great music, I'd be ****** without it tbh. Music is God to me

38 minutes ago, AppyDAZE said:

Still working on mine, so it's over to you lot. It's 10 albums ONLY btw

Actually, I've got "Pepper" and Sheer Heart Attack in my bag already... i just need to narrow it down to 8 more.

NOT easy. If you can't narrow it down to just 10, let's have your I'm definitely taking this one albums.

Here you go.

Songs in the Key of Life -  Stevie Wonder

5 minutes ago, Robbored said:

Tea for the tiller man - Cat Stevens 

Songs of Leonard Cohen

Dark Side of the moon - Pink Floyd

On the border - Eagles.

Greatest hits double album Moody Blues.

Sorry @Robbored No greatest hits allowed. Forgot to say that. Hey, you're not Alan Partridge are you ?

Mine would be something like ....

arcade fire - funeral

bloc party - silent alarm 

parquet courts - light up gold

car seat headrest - teens of denial 

Tame impala - Lonerism 

radiohead - ok computer OR in rainbows 

Caribou - swim 

queens of the Stone Age - songs for the deaf 

Vampire weekend - vampire weekend 

The National - alligator OR boxer 

Even though I consider myself to listen to a pretty broad range of music, nearly all of the above are alternative/indie/rock guitar bands ha 

Also I like loads of old stuff from before I was born but prob listen to more greatest hits or singles compilations than full albums (other than Beatles, pink floyd and a few others). That why there is an absence of anything pre 90s on fav albums 

Albums that would always be in the 10;

Joy Division - Unknown Pleasures 

New Order - Low-life

Public Enemy- It Takes A Nation Of Millions To Hold Us Back

The The - Infected 

Albums that would make it depending on my mood:

Velvet Underground And Nico - Eponymous 

NWA - Straight Outta Compton 

Colourfield - Virgins And Philistines 

And then a whole lot more.

It would have to be albums that mean something to me and evoke memories and/or bring me joy

In no order

Fugees - The Score

Sia - Colour the Small One

Sia - Some People Have Real Problems

The Strokes - Is This It?

Arctic Monkeys - Whatever People Say I Am, That’s What I’m Not

Nilufer Yanya - Miss Universe

Paolo Nutini - Caustic Love

Kings of Leon - Aha Shake Heartbreak

Coldplay - Parachutes

Yeah Yeah Yeahs - Fever to Tell

This is a great thread.  I keep getting requests on my Facebook account to share my top 7 albums and post the covers one day at a time and nominate another FB friend to do the same, but never take the nomination up as 1) my laptop is a bit knackered after I spilt a can of Tyskie over it so I have trouble pasting album covers on FB and 2) I can't be arsed to put pressure on someone else who doesn't really want to do it either! Anyway here's my 10 and, of course this will vary from day to day depending on mood etc. Would say that the top 5 will always be in the top 10 whatever my mood.. One rule I have stipulated for my own list is different artists for each selection.

1 - Beach Boys - Pet Sounds

2 - Beatles - Revolver

3 - Elbow - Seldom Seen Kid

4 - Joni Mitchell- Hejira

5 - Jefferson Airplane - After Bathing At Baxter's

6 - Velvet Underground and Nico - Andy Warhol Banana Cover (otherwise known as Velvet Underground and Nico!)

7 - David Bowie - The Rise and Fall of Ziggy Stardust and  The Spiders From Mars

8 - U2- The Unforgettable Fire

9 - The Who - Who's Next

10 - Stevie Wonder - Talking Book

7 hours ago, One Team In Keynsham said:

Albums that would always be in the 10;

Joy Division - Unknown Pleasures 

New Order - Low-life

Public Enemy- It Takes A Nation Of Millions To Hold Us Back

The The - Infected 

Albums that would make it depending on my mood:

Velvet Underground And Nico - Eponymous 

NWA - Straight Outta Compton 

Colourfield - Virgins And Philistines 

And then a whole lot more.

That's a proper muso/NME reader's chart, I like it!

Totally impossible task isn't it? This is my instinctive list, naturally skewed towards my youth, but doesn't even scratch the surface. No soul or Motown? No Smiths, Bunnymen, Happy Mondays? What about ska and reggae? No Pistols, Buzzcocks, The Strokes, Mott The Hoople or The Sweet? Only one Beatles album? Smokey Robinson, Marvin Gaye? Where are The Stones, The Who or The Kinks? And aren't Toots & The Maytals meant to be my favourite band, where are they??

The Clash - London Calling
The Stone Roses - The Stone Roses
The Beatles - Revolver
The Undertones - The Undertones
Oasis - Definitely Maybe
Blur - Modern Life Is Rubbish
De La Soul - 3 Feet High And Rising
The Specials - The Specials
The Jam - All Mod Cons
The Doors - The Doors

10 hours ago, downendcity said:

Here you go.

Songs in the Key of Life -  Stevie Wonder

Close second, A Nod's as good as a wink......... by The Faces.

Great and underrated band with Rod Stewart showing what has was born to do - before selling out post Faces.

Low - Bowie         The kick inside - Kate Bush                           Real life - Magazine 

Rattus Norvegicus- The Stranglers

New Boots and Panties - Ian Dury 

The Wall - Pink Floyd

Sheer heart attack - Queen 

Cumbolo- Culture 

Make it easy - Walker bro’s x

Propaganda - Sparks 

Impossible task really ! 

7 hours ago, New Dazzler said:

This is a great thread.  I keep getting requests on my Facebook account to share my top 7 albums and post the covers one day at a time and nominate another FB friend to do the same, but never take the nomination up as 1) my laptop is a bit knackered after I spilt a can of Tyskie over it so I have trouble pasting album covers on FB and 2) I can't be arsed to put pressure on someone else who doesn't really want to do it either! Anyway here's my 10 and, of course this will vary from day to day depending on mood etc. Would say that the top 5 will always be in the top 10 whatever my mood.. One rule I have stipulated for my own list is different artists for each selection.

1 - Beach Boys - Pet Sounds

2 - Beatles - Revolver

3 - Elbow - Seldom Seen Kid

4 - Joni Mitchell- Hejira

5 - Jefferson Airplane - After Bathing At Baxter's

6 - Velvet Underground and Nico - Andy Warhol Banana Cover (otherwise known as Velvet Underground and Nico!)

7 - David Bowie - The Rise and Fall of Ziggy Stardust and  The Spiders From Mars

8 - U2- The Unforgettable Fire

9 - The Who - Who's Next

10 - Stevie Wonder - Talking Book

Great list.  Totally different to my eventual ten, but all of your albums would be on my shortlist (though might prefer Volunteers or Bark by Jefferson Airplane).

1 hour ago, The Dolman Pragmatist said:

Great list.  Totally different to my eventual ten, but all of your albums would be on my shortlist (though might prefer Volunteers or Bark by Jefferson Airplane).

What this thread does is not only reflect our individual musical taste but our generation as well.

Being born on the 50s my favourite albums are from my late teenage years into my 20s. Being a student for much of the time I got introduced to other students musical taste. One buddy in particular was a huge Cat Stevens fan and had all his albums and that’s why Tea for the Tillerman  is on my list. 

It must be my age but I don’t listen much to modern day stuff. I think Adele was the last CD I bought 

More spring to mind as possibles:

Lou Reed - Transformer

Bowie - Ziggy Stardust (thanks for the reminder @Lanterne Rouge)

Chameleons - Script Of The Bridge

Carole King - Tapestry 

Stone Roses- Stone Roses

The Cure - Head On The Door

Beach Boys - Pet Sounds

Marvin Gaye - What's Going On

Narrowing down to 10 is a tough ask.

I couldn't do it ! Looking at my rack of albums (literally 100s)  The 10 would change daily depending on my mood .      Best I can do is two I would never be without.

20 Golden Greats----- The Shadows  (just to remind me of my childhood)

Hunky Dory_______________ Bowie    (one of the finest sets of esoteric  songs on one album IMHO )

43 minutes ago, slartibartfast said:

I couldn't do it ! Looking at my rack of albums (literally 100s)  The 10 would change daily depending on my mood .      Best I can do is two I would never be without.

20 Golden Greats----- The Shadows  (just to remind me of my childhood)

Hunky Dory_______________ Bowie    (one of the finest sets of esoteric  songs on one album IMHO )

Not sure about The Shadows but certainly agree with the sentiment of what you are saying.

Archived