IGNORED

Non-English teams you don't like

Unan

If any team was a mirror image of their Manager then it's Atletico Madrid.

A very well drilled and coached side who rightfully beat Liverpool whether they got dominated or not, they beat them. Home and away.

They remind me of an old Italy or Argentina side. Not long ball, but can defend well and do anything to win a game. 

Their achievement to beat Real Madrid and Barcelona to a La Liga title in 2014 is up there with Leicester's title win, for me. That was years of planning, coaching, using the market well from Atleti. The people's club

1 hour ago, WiltshireReds said:

If any team was a mirror image of their Manager then it's Atletico Madrid.

A very well drilled and coached side who rightfully beat Liverpool whether they got dominated or not, they beat them. Home and away.

They remind me of an old Italy or Argentina side. Not long ball, but can defend well and do anything to win a game. 

Their achievement to beat Real Madrid and Barcelona to a La Liga title in 2014 is up there with Leicester's title win, for me. That was years of planning, coaching, using the market well from Atleti. The people's club

It was and it wasn't- the 2nd bolded bit I mean. Also think they were more attack minded a few years ago or at least less defence first.

Agree with a lot of your post tjhough but the backstory there is record debts in La Liga and a shambles on and off the pitch.

Simeone comes in- midtable but not far off the drop at turn of 2011-12, win Europa League finish 5th.

Finish 3rd next year, win Spanish Cup- at Bernebau.

Lose De Gea, Aguero to name 2- Forlan as well I think in summer 2011, Falcao in summer 2013. Big profits in the martket due tro the aforementioned mismanagement that'd gone on for years before, off and to an extent, on the pitch.

Trading to success- it seemed all a bit more sudden than that IMO, bit of a perfect storm. Big 2 dropped off a little and Atletico stepped it right up at the right time. Swiss Ramble covers European accounts quite well and it shows just how much they were mismanaged. Big club certainly but a significantly mismanaged one over time, so turning it round that quickly was remarkable.

A great achievement certainly. However Simeone and Atletico definitely seem to mesh very well. As you say, bit of a mirror image.

https://www.90min.com/posts/6510029-atletico-madrid-2013-14-the-la-liga-title-which-never-should-have-been-and-the-great-what-if

Good article, I'm about to read on the subject.

Just had a quick check- in Simeone's first 3 full seasons they averaged (across all competitions granted), around100 goals a season. Not so bad!

Think it was something like:

• 2012-13- 93
  • 2013-14- 117
  • 2014-15- 95

On ‎10‎/‎05‎/‎2020 at 12:51, Miah Dennehy said:

Rangers, Willem II (something about them, can't quite put my finger on it) Hearts, Airdrie, Linfield, Shamrock Rovers and Benfica.

Miah could you explain what is wrong with Rangers, Hearts, Airdrie, Linfield, Shamrock Rovers and Benfica?

2 hours ago, willem ii said:

Miah could you explain what is wrong with Rangers, Hearts, Airdrie, Linfield, Shamrock Rovers and Benfica?

Rangers is simply because I follow Celtic. Hearts I have never really liked, had a bad couple of experiences with their fans on two separate occasions, although I am now very friendly with a couple of Hearts fans so they may move off this list at some point!. I have a soft spot for Albion Rovers who are Airdrie's main rivals, Linfield fans tie in with Rangers seem to have everything to do with sectarianism and nothing to do with football so that's why  they are there. I saw Bohemians while I was in Dublin a few years ago  and their rivalry with Shamrock Rovers is pretty fierce and the only two Shamrock fans I have ever met was in a pub before a Celtic game and they were utter dicks. My son used to live with a lovely Portuguese girl whose family were all mad Sporting fans and hated all things Benfica, so I just went along with that.

I don't really mind Willem II btw :)

Internationally.. Wales without even having to think about it.

Remember them thinking that all they had to do was sing really loud, and then beating Ireland would be a given.

Wrong!

Football reasons ONLY btw. I like the people I have met, and the country is beautiful.

As someone else said earlier, any of the big clubs really

Remember a time when Mechelen would win the UEFA Cup (may have been the CWC), Steaua Bucharest, Villa, Forest could win the European Cup

Same old faces now. I'm in that whole phase of 'football was so much more fun when I was a kid' right now. Dare I say it, I don't think I've missed football as much as I thought I would. Miss City, obviously, but the PL and European stuff, not one bit. Never thought I'd write that

My actual top 5 hate list would be something like

1. Celtic
2. PSG
3. Real Madrid
4. Juventus
5. Barcelona

6 hours ago, 'Orns said:

As someone else said earlier, any of the big clubs really

Remember a time when Mechelen would win the UEFA Cup (may have been the CWC), Steaua Bucharest, Villa, Forest could win the European Cup

Same old faces now. I'm in that whole phase of 'football was so much more fun when I was a kid' right now. Dare I say it, I don't think I've missed football as much as I thought I would. Miss City, obviously, but the PL and European stuff, not one bit. Never thought I'd write that

My actual top 5 hate list would be something like

1. Celtic
2. PSG
3. Real Madrid
4. Juventus
5. Barcelona

There's still room for shocks in Europe but a lot less than before. Virtually none if the 'big' clubs get their way.

Still I give you Ajax reaching the semi final of CL last season- check their budget but OTOH what an academy down the years, Atalanta's rise on a budget and in relative terms, Atletico rising from shambles to Spanish third force on a European level in 2-3 seasons while selling key players borne out of necessity.

Relative terms as it could be argued that they were a major club significantly underachieving due to years of mismanagement.

1 hour ago, Three Lions said:

Celtic. Green Brigade are IRA's cheer leaders.

One of Rangers chants in past times was 'Up to the knees in Fenian blood'. May not even be a past one, I don't know. Billy Boys, all that.

Its okay because it's 'our' Sectarianism they're pro? You're notably quiet on that, interestingly.

8 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

One of Rangers chants in past times was 'Up to the knees in Fenian blood'. May not even be a past one, I don't know. Billy Boys, all that.

Its okay because it's 'our' Sectarianism they're pro? You're notably quiet on that, interestingly.

The meaning of singing penny arcade is just as bad Mr P. 

Great to attend a Celtic or Rangers game for the spectacle but I'll never go to the old firm game again, pure venom from both sets of fans and both highly sectarian. 

3 minutes ago, Ska Junkie said:

The meaning of singing penny arcade is just as bad Mr P. 

Great to attend a Celtic or Rangers game for the spectacle but I'll never go to the old firm game again, pure venom from both sets of fans and both highly sectarian. 

I'll have a read up on that tbh Ska. I know bits and bobs but I get the feeling, and especially on Derby day, neither set of fans covers themselves in glory. I suppose Billy Boys is the best known.

Yeah, I can believe that. Certainly wouldn't have an issue with going to one of them vs AN Other. Old Firm? Sounds quite nasty to be at, from both sides. 

1 minute ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

I'll have a read up on that tbh Ska. I know bits and bobs but I get the feeling, and especially on Derby day, neither set of fans covers themselves in glory. I suppose Billy Boys is the best known.

Yeah, I can believe that. Certainly wouldn't have an issue with going to one of them vs AN Other. Old Firm? Sounds quite nasty to be at, from both sides. 

It is Mr P, I've been to both and they're not nice at all. 

2 hours ago, Three Lions said:

Celtic. Green Brigade are IRA's cheer leaders.

1 hour ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Dislike both clubs. Have come across too many utter weapons supporting one or the other.

But, I do have good friends who support them. So not everyone is bad.

MP I didn't mention Rangers because I wasn't asked but they think they are Scottish and British playing in a Scottish league. Celtic some of them think they are Irish freedom fighters. The Green Brigades anti fascism stances v armies that fought against it?? Confused belters !!

After 45 years of following City, I would hope we haven't got any leaning towards either side of the old firm, I really hope we haven't and can't say I've noticed one. This thread would suggest we lean towards the Gers but I hope it's neither in all honesty. 

We're a football club aren't we with no allegiances outside that?

Archived