Jump to content

Welcome to One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums

Welcome to One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums by signing in or creating an account.

  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Full access to all forums (not all viewable as guest)
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.
  • Support OTIB with a premium membership

Seneca the Younger

Non-English teams you don't like

Recommended Posts

Celtic for the same reason as Eddie. My family have been serviceman. No nation is flawless. I don't hold a prejudice against Germany for its actions.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, Eddie Hitler said:

For me it's that several of my school friends joined the services, some the army and sent in your to NI.

Fortunately none of my friends were killed there, though one in Afghanistan, but they could have been.

That sections of the Celtic crowd can get away with celebrating the deaths of what could have been a schoolfriend of mine without massive sanctions from that club (I know they give lip service to it but nothing ever changes) makes me intensely dislike the club itself.

What if Gloucester City fans started celebrating the murders committed by Fred and Rosemary West and singing songs celebrating them as heros?

Wouldn't you be disgusted by that with your disgust heightened had you known one of their victims?

A bigger bunch of ball sack's beat them to it.......

 

nintchdbpict000367525911.thumb.jpg.3afd5dc87a4a977cef75c23749d0ef27.jpg

Edited by glynriley
  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
46 minutes ago, Ska Junkie said:

That's fair Eddie but the Gers fans do exactly the same, they're both bad. 'Penny Arcade' was originally sung AFAIK to celebrate the shooting of a catholic amusement arcade owner in Belfast although it was years ago and is now a bit of an anthem.

As someone born in Northern Ireland, I can't abide the sectarian stuff. I was over there last summer visiting family and am pleased to say it's a lot better but it still lingers hence my detestation of both factions. It really wouldn't take much for it to all kick off again and it's such a better place without it.  

There's the big difference: born in NI so you saw both sides of it. In that situation I would have the same view as you.

I'm not anti-Irish and I am certainly not anti-Catholic.

I am however massively anti-Celtic.

I'd say that a lot of people think that the latter implies the former but definitely not in my case.

  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 14/05/2020 at 01:04, Trueredsupporter said:

Celtic

 

On 14/05/2020 at 01:04, Trueredsupporter said:

Celtic

Celtic?

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/05/2020 at 15:37, Miah Dennehy said:

Rangers is simply because I follow Celtic. Hearts I have never really liked, had a bad couple of experiences with their fans on two separate occasions, although I am now very friendly with a couple of Hearts fans so they may move off this list at some point!. I have a soft spot for Albion Rovers who are Airdrie's main rivals, Linfield fans tie in with Rangers seem to have everything to do with sectarianism and nothing to do with football so that's why  they are there. I saw Bohemians while I was in Dublin a few years ago  and their rivalry with Shamrock Rovers is pretty fierce and the only two Shamrock fans I have ever met was in a pub before a Celtic game and they were utter dicks. My son used to live with a lovely Portuguese girl whose family were all mad Sporting fans and hated all things Benfica, so I just went along with that.

I don't really mind Willem II btw :)

 

Saw Shamrock play at Galway in Q/F of Cup last September, their support was was very lively and impressive and created a great atmosphere, didn't stop singing throughout the game, flares a plenty and a massive pitch invasion after a last-minute winner, reminded me of the old days, they got a decent little ground in Tallacht on the outskirts of Dublin

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Shame Rangers didn't go bust a few years ago, vile club, how they were allowed to get away with such positive discrimination for nearly 100 years was shameful, no Catholics, all the way down to the tea-lady

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Always interested in the willem II love in, a small Dutch team with a bog standard history albeit winning a poor and smaller Dutch league a few times.. what is the link and care for them as a club as I don’t know?....can’t be city size as theirs is tiny!! I couldn’t care less for them in respect to the more romantic Dutch clubs

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 14/05/2020 at 11:31, glynriley said:

A bigger bunch of ball sack's beat them to it.......

 

nintchdbpict000367525911.thumb.jpg.3afd5dc87a4a977cef75c23749d0ef27.jpg

I've lived in Gloucester for best part of 10 years now. Can honestly say I've seen two blokes in G*s shirts. One was the day of their triumphant return to the football league. I don't see many City shirts, certainly less than 20 I would say, bit I'd hope none of them would ever have a flag like this 🤷‍♂️

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 14/05/2020 at 11:15, Ska Junkie said:

That's fair Eddie but the Gers fans do exactly the same, they're both bad. 'Penny Arcade' was originally sung AFAIK to celebrate the shooting of a catholic amusement arcade owner in Belfast although it was years ago and is now a bit of an anthem.

As someone born in Northern Ireland, I can't abide the sectarian stuff. I was over there last summer visiting family and am pleased to say it's a lot better but it still lingers hence my detestation of both factions. It really wouldn't take much for it to all kick off again and it's such a better place without it.  

This is generally the opinion I value most whenever this discussion comes up.

I can fully understand neutrals leaning towards one side of Glasgow to match their own political leanings, but it should at least come with an understanding that ultimately they are two sides of the same coin and as bad as each other. Both clubs have elements it’s easy to detest and both have supporters that are extremely toxic.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 15/05/2020 at 22:06, MC RISK77 said:

Always interested in the willem II love in, a small Dutch team with a bog standard history albeit winning a poor and smaller Dutch league a few times.. what is the link and care for them as a club as I don’t know?....can’t be city size as theirs is tiny!! I couldn’t care less for them in respect to the more romantic Dutch clubs

Just to state some facts about Willem II:

- three times champion of The Netherlands

- two times winner of the Dutch cup

- played champions league in 1999-2000

- Europa cup 2 (played against man united with a draw at home)

- two times qualified for UEFA cup

- qualified This season for second round qualifying Europe League

- some famous old players of Willem II: Marc Overmars, Jaap Stam, Joris Matthijssen and Sami Hyypia (yes the one from Liverpool)

Last but not least: the current best two Dutch players in the world (Frenkie de Jong and Virgil van Dijk) played many years in the youth teams of Willem II....

Whatever you think, in my opinion this is quite a nice list to be proud of.... 

  • Like 6
  • Thanks 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, 'Orns said:

I've lived in Gloucester for best part of 10 years now. Can honestly say I've seen two blokes in G*s shirts. One was the day of their triumphant return to the football league. I don't see many City shirts, certainly less than 20 I would say, bit I'd hope none of them would ever have a flag like this 🤷‍♂️

Don't care if they are Rovers or City, as somebody from Gloucester that is just just very, very poor.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Barcelona and their hollier than thou bs.

Their constant cheating/bending of the rules and in some cases outright corruption gets over looked due to their style of football, messi and their historical political stance.

I don't like real madrid either (historical political ties and constant cheating). But at least they don't pretend to have morals. 

Being that I pulled Union Berlin out of a hat as my German team yesterday... I suppose hertha Berlin now as well.... especially as its Derby day this Friday 👊.

Wir sind Unioner!
Wir sind die Kranken!

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, steveybadger said:

Don't care if they are Rovers or City, as somebody from Gloucester that is just just very, very poor.

Amen, brother. Classless sag *****.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 17/05/2020 at 09:53, ballwinningcentrehalf said:

This is generally the opinion I value most whenever this discussion comes up.

I can fully understand neutrals leaning towards one side of Glasgow to match their own political leanings, but it should at least come with an understanding that ultimately they are two sides of the same coin and as bad as each other. Both clubs have elements it’s easy to detest and both have supporters that are extremely toxic.

Absolutely. The truth of the matter is, with no disrespect intended to anyone who served in Northern Ireland or had family members who did, the situation in Ireland across the 20th Century was a horrific, sad and tragic mess from which no faction from either side or either country emerges with a great deal of credit. I

It is a huge relief that a sustained peace has so far been possible but none of us should take that for granted or absolve either "side" of guilt. It is sad that it persists to this day and neither Rangers nor Celtic come out of it with any credit at all. Both have been way too tolerant of obnoxious factions within their support. 

  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Miah Dennehy said:

AKA The Champions (again) :)

I know your post is in jest Miah,but how depressing must it be to be a Scottish football supporter?Celtic win the annual one horse race until I assume Rangers eventually manage to issue a serious challenge, however long that takes.Football in general is rapidly going down the pan but I do genuinely feel for Scottish fans.Embarrassing watching Lennon talking about a tenth consecutive title.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 15/05/2020 at 19:49, Jim Davey said:

that cant be real?

It is.

I'd forgotten about it when I made my point about the Wests but I remember it now.

I spent a few months after it happened living in Midland Road in Gloucester which is where they lived before moving to Cromwell Street which is only a couple of streets away. 

I didn't know either of those things when I moved there.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Slacker said:

I know your post is in jest Miah,but how depressing must it be to be a Scottish football supporter?Celtic win the annual one horse race until I assume Rangers eventually manage to issue a serious challenge, however long that takes.Football in general is rapidly going down the pan but I do genuinely feel for Scottish fans.Embarrassing watching Lennon talking about a tenth consecutive title.

I think the league there is just a microcosm of other leagues around the world. If Rangers hadn't been quite so naughty, you would see a two horse race which is pretty much what it is in Spain every year and Bayern Munich seem to win the league every year in Germany as do Juve in Italy.

I suppose these days the English Premier league is a bit more open  , but even that (with the possible exception of Leicester) seems to hinge on whoever has the biggest wallet that year. I'd like Celtic to get 10 in a row, but after that , I think it would be great to see someone else (bar Rangers of course!) win it.  I really enjoy watching Scottish football, including the lower league and junior stuff, where there still seems to be a connection between the fans, players and clubs. Some lovely old school grounds as well (with a few god awful new ones like Clyde and Dumbarton as well unfortunately)

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I certainly agree with you when you say there is much to enjoy in the whole lower league football experience Miah.Always reminds me of the simpler/ more accessible side of what football used to be.

 

 

23 minutes ago, Miah Dennehy said:

I think the league there is just a microcosm of other leagues around the world. If Rangers hadn't been quite so naughty, you would see a two horse race which is pretty much what it is in Spain every year and Bayern Munich seem to win the league every year in Germany as do Juve in Italy.

I suppose these days the English Premier league is a bit more open  , but even that (with the possible exception of Leicester) seems to hinge on whoever has the biggest wallet that year. I'd like Celtic to get 10 in a row, but after that , I think it would be great to see someone else (bar Rangers of course!) win it.  I really enjoy watching Scottish football, including the lower league and junior stuff, where there still seems to be a connection between the fans, players and clubs. Some lovely old school grounds as well (with a few god awful new ones like Clyde and Dumbarton as well unfortunately)

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Eddie Hitler said:

It is.

I'd forgotten about it when I made my point about the Wests but I remember it now.

I spent a few months after it happened living in Midland Road in Gloucester which is where they lived before moving to Cromwell Street which is only a couple of streets away. 

I didn't know either of those things when I moved there.

I used to know a girl who lived at the West's Midland Road address. This was after they had been rumbled...didn't seem to faze her!  Also, a mate's nan lived in St Michael's Square...her garden was next to theirs in Cromwell St.

Edited by Mike Hunt-Hertz
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Mike Hunt-Hertz said:

I used to know a girl who lived at the West's Midland Road address. This was after they had been rumbled...didn't seem to faze her!  Also, a mate's nan lived in St Michael's Square...her garden was next to theirs in Cromwell St.

You'd be worried about having any renovations done!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@Miah Dennehy @Slacker

Sure Rangers won 9 in a row at one point? Mind you the depth in Scottish football was surely quite a bit more than it is now.

On other Leagues, Miah.

Atletico can be a third force from time to time. Won it once been in a few title races. Within Deportivo have won one, Valencia two. Being behind the big two doesn't stop competitiveness in European competitions  either.

Serie A often has a competitive title race- check the final tables, it's rare that they run away with it. Also a number of sides Juventus aside will be competitive in Europe, though perhaps not consistently. 

Bundesliga more one sided in recent times certainly but Borussia Dortmund periodic title contenders and could argued up to 5 sides in the race atm. European competitiveness a mixed bag outside of Bayern.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

LA Galaxy - saw them play while Beckham was over there. Talking to a few of their fans and they thought they were the Barcelona of the Americas. 

Saw a game against Columbus Crew and when LA Galaxy scored they had ticker tape come down from the crossbar and fireworks above the stadium as it was a night game! I hope that never happens at Ashton Gate but you wouldn’t put it past Mark Ashton suggesting it in the next few years!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
51 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

@Miah Dennehy @Slacker

Sure Rangers won 9 in a row at one point? Mind you the depth in Scottish football was surely quite a bit more than it is now.

On other Leagues, Miah.

Atletico can be a third force from time to time. Won it once been in a few title races. Within Deportivo have won one, Valencia two. Being behind the big two doesn't stop competitiveness in European competitions  either.

Serie A often has a competitive title race- check the final tables, it's rare that they run away with it. Also a number of sides Juventus aside will be competitive in Europe, though perhaps not consistently. 

Bundesliga more one sided in recent times certainly but Borussia Dortmund periodic title contenders and could argued up to 5 sides in the race atm. European competitiveness a mixed bag outside of Bayern.

Yes Rangers did it in the 90s and this is the second time Celtic have done it (The first time being in the 70s under Jock Stein). Certainly before Rangers liquidation and subsequent relegation is was more competitive between the two and there have been some fantastic final few weeks with the title in the balance, but as Kevin Bridges put it 'It was a two horse race and we've lost a horse' and although Aberdeen briefly looked like they might threaten, Celtic have won 3 consecutive trebles with a fourth one looking very likely this season . To be fair, Celtics win over Rangers in the League Cup final this season was a travesty of a result and the last game I went to in late December saw Rangers play Celtic off the park and it really did look like this time it might go to the wire until rangers inexplicably imploded after the winter break. So there are signs that it may well get back to a two horse race again at least!

 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Miah Dennehy said:

Yes Rangers did it in the 90s and this is the second time Celtic have done it (The first time being in the 70s under Jock Stein). Certainly before Rangers liquidation and subsequent relegation is was more competitive between the two and there have been some fantastic final few weeks with the title in the balance, but as Kevin Bridges put it 'It was a two horse race and we've lost a horse' and although Aberdeen briefly looked like they might threaten, Celtic have won 3 consecutive trebles with a fourth one looking very likely this season . To be fair, Celtics win over Rangers in the League Cup final this season was a travesty of a result and the last game I went to in late December saw Rangers play Celtic off the park and it really did look like this time it might go to the wire until rangers inexplicably imploded after the winter break. So there are signs that it may well get back to a two horse race again at least!

 

 

I've had a quick look, a brief one granted.

Aberdeen won 3 titles from the end of the 1970s to the end of the 1980s. Dundee United one.

The former also won a European competition- the latter reached a final.

Like night and day depth wise, IMO.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

I've had a quick look, a brief one granted.

Aberdeen won 3 titles from the end of the 1970s to the end of the 1980s. Dundee United one.

The former also won a European competition- the latter reached a final.

Like night and day depth wise, IMO.

Just had a look at total titles won:

Rangers: 54
Celtic: 51
Aberdeen/Hearts/Hibs: 4 each
6 other clubs: 7 between them

Laughable.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, One Team In Keynsham said:

Just had a look at total titles won:

Rangers: 54
Celtic: 51
Aberdeen/Hearts/Hibs: 4 each
6 other clubs: 7 between them

Laughable.

Overall quite a bit dominant  yes but...the fact Dundee United won a title and reached a European final in 1980s, the fact that Aberdeen won 3 and won a European trophy...

Imagine any Scottish side even winning a Europa League now!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Mr Popodopolous said:

Overall quite a bit dominant  yes but...the fact Dundee United won a title and reached a European final in 1980s, the fact that Aberdeen won 3 and won a European trophy...

Imagine any Scottish side even winning a Europa League now!

Dundee United were unlucky to not make the European Cup final in 1984.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/05/2020 at 00:26, Ska Junkie said:

Been to St Pauli a few times and they don't have a tie to the gas. Coventry and big time Celtic ties but not the tent dwellers.

More gas bullshit! Maybe a rovers fan went to a game once?

They got the pirate on their shirts i went and watched st pauli v Hamburg local derby fighting like f....k with each other never seen so many old bill.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/05/2020 at 14:40, City Cat said:

When I lived in Hamburg for a couple of years in the 90's St. Pauli were always my favourite. City centre location, underdogs to HSV, cracking atmosphere in a tightly packed traditional ground rather than HSV'S souless out of town ground and importantly, beers on the Reeperbahn next door before and after the game....good times✌️✌️🍺 

Yes went there three to four years ago we were in a little boozer opposite the St pauli ground early doors watching the Manchester derby on t.v when the Hamburg fans were escorted to the ground never seen so many old bill  in my life 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 14/05/2020 at 11:16, dragonreds said:

as a ex squddie in germany who had a HSV season ticket was going to say them as well

 

On 14/05/2020 at 11:16, dragonreds said:

as a ex squddie in germany who had a HSV season ticket was going to say them as well

What a mob Hsv got going right off with the old Bill great weekend on the Reaperbahn its mental never closes can be a bit dodgy in some of the lap dance bars though4😄😄

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 19/05/2020 at 23:46, RobintheRed Red said:

 

What a mob Hsv got going right off with the old Bill great weekend on the Reaperbahn its mental never closes can be a bit dodgy in some of the lap dance bars though4😄😄

i go twice a year i speak the language and have friends there so bypass the dodgy bit

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 21/05/2020 at 07:47, Hellfire Corner said:

Cowdenbeath FC

Funnily enough I developed a soft spot for them after seeing them lose to Arbroath a couple of years back.  A few Arbroath fans were a bit dickish in the pub beforehand so I picked the Blue Brazil to cheer on.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, Miah Dennehy said:

Funnily enough I developed a soft spot for them after seeing them lose to Arbroath a couple of years back.  A few Arbroath fans were a bit dickish in the pub beforehand so I picked the Blue Brazil to cheer on.

As a boy, I never liked the name Cowdenbeath, when the football results were read out. I liked the sound of Stenhousemuir- so I always listened out for their result. I knew absolutely nothing about either place or team at the time!! 

  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Hellfire Corner said:

As a boy, I never liked the name Cowdenbeath, when the football results were read out. I liked the sound of Stenhousemuir- so I always listened out for their result. I knew absolutely nothing about either place or team at the time!! 

As a kid; I honestly thought the name was "Stenhouse Manure" 😀 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎16‎/‎05‎/‎2020 at 23:06, 'Orns said:

I've lived in Gloucester for best part of 10 years now. Can honestly say I've seen two blokes in G*s shirts. One was the day of their triumphant return to the football league. I don't see many City shirts, certainly less than 20 I would say, bit I'd hope none of them would ever have a flag like this 🤷‍♂️

I lived in Gloucester for 15 years before moving to Bristol in 2016,i always wore my City top around.There is quite a lot of City supporters around Gloucester and the Deans Walk Inn at Kingsholm used to be run by a guy called Ian who was also a massive City fan.Agree with the Rovers fans though there seem to be more of them around Dursley area!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎19‎/‎05‎/‎2020 at 11:46, Eddie Hitler said:

It is.

I'd forgotten about it when I made my point about the Wests but I remember it now.

I spent a few months after it happened living in Midland Road in Gloucester which is where they lived before moving to Cromwell Street which is only a couple of streets away. 

I didn't know either of those things when I moved there.

Mr West was a groundworker working for the firm that did the footings for the first house I bought.

The police did come and look around the estate at the height of his arrest and the ensuing investigations.

Luckily they opted against any digging or searches.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 23/05/2020 at 08:16, Hellfire Corner said:

As a boy, I never liked the name Cowdenbeath, when the football results were read out. I liked the sound of Stenhousemuir- so I always listened out for their result. I knew absolutely nothing about either place or team at the time!! 

Funnily enough the first Mrs Isewater loved to  hear the ‘ Hamilton Academicals ‘result  as read by James Alexander Gordon. 
 

Strange chaps women .

Edited by Major Isewater

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...