Jump to content

Welcome to One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums

Welcome to One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums by signing in or creating an account.

  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Full access to all forums (not all viewable as guest)
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.
  • Support OTIB with a premium membership

Non-English teams you don't like


Recommended Posts

On 11/05/2020 at 10:07, matalan12 said:

genuinely surprised no one has mentioned Atletico Madrid. Boring, defensive minded, time wasting style of football. Cheating at every opportunity. 1st leg at home to Liverpool was a disgrace. Diego Costa. Diego Simeone. Godin. the list goes on and on.

And just cos theyve both got a lot of mentions, dont mind celtic, think theyre ultra support is class, best in Britain by a long long way.

Dont mind PSG either. added another potentially challenger to Champions League contenders, cant be bad.

I love them! The dark arts may not be pretty, but it is still an art. Reminds me of good old fashioned Italian sides that dominated for so long! 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, Ska Junkie said:

After 45 years of following City, I would hope we haven't got any leaning towards either side of the old firm, I really hope we haven't and can't say I've noticed one. This thread would suggest we lean towards the Gers but I hope it's neither in all honesty. 

We're a football club aren't we with no allegiances outside that?

For me it's that several of my school friends joined the services, some the army and sent in your to NI.

Fortunately none of my friends were killed there, though one in Afghanistan, but they could have been.

That sections of the Celtic crowd can get away with celebrating the deaths of what could have been a schoolfriend of mine without massive sanctions from that club (I know they give lip service to it but nothing ever changes) makes me intensely dislike the club itself.

What if Gloucester City fans started celebrating the murders committed by Fred and Rosemary West and singing songs celebrating them as heros?

Wouldn't you be disgusted by that with your disgust heightened had you known one of their victims?

  • Like 5
Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Eddie Hitler said:

For me it's that several of my school friends joined the services, some the army and sent in your to NI.

Fortunately none of my friends were killed there, though one in Afghanistan, but they could have been.

That sections of the Celtic crowd can get away with celebrating the deaths of what could have been a schoolfriend of mine without massive sanctions from that club (I know they give lip service to it but nothing ever changes) makes me intensely dislike the club itself.

What if Gloucester City fans started celebrating the murders committed by Fred and Rosemary West and singing songs celebrating them as heros?

Wouldn't you be disgusted by that with your disgust heightened had you known one of their victims?

That's fair Eddie but the Gers fans do exactly the same, they're both bad. 'Penny Arcade' was originally sung AFAIK to celebrate the shooting of a catholic amusement arcade owner in Belfast although it was years ago and is now a bit of an anthem.

As someone born in Northern Ireland, I can't abide the sectarian stuff. I was over there last summer visiting family and am pleased to say it's a lot better but it still lingers hence my detestation of both factions. It really wouldn't take much for it to all kick off again and it's such a better place without it.  

  • Like 4
Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, Eddie Hitler said:

For me it's that several of my school friends joined the services, some the army and sent in your to NI.

Fortunately none of my friends were killed there, though one in Afghanistan, but they could have been.

That sections of the Celtic crowd can get away with celebrating the deaths of what could have been a schoolfriend of mine without massive sanctions from that club (I know they give lip service to it but nothing ever changes) makes me intensely dislike the club itself.

What if Gloucester City fans started celebrating the murders committed by Fred and Rosemary West and singing songs celebrating them as heros?

Wouldn't you be disgusted by that with your disgust heightened had you known one of their victims?

A bigger bunch of ball sack's beat them to it.......

 

nintchdbpict000367525911.thumb.jpg.3afd5dc87a4a977cef75c23749d0ef27.jpg

Edited by glynriley
  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
46 minutes ago, Ska Junkie said:

That's fair Eddie but the Gers fans do exactly the same, they're both bad. 'Penny Arcade' was originally sung AFAIK to celebrate the shooting of a catholic amusement arcade owner in Belfast although it was years ago and is now a bit of an anthem.

As someone born in Northern Ireland, I can't abide the sectarian stuff. I was over there last summer visiting family and am pleased to say it's a lot better but it still lingers hence my detestation of both factions. It really wouldn't take much for it to all kick off again and it's such a better place without it.  

There's the big difference: born in NI so you saw both sides of it. In that situation I would have the same view as you.

I'm not anti-Irish and I am certainly not anti-Catholic.

I am however massively anti-Celtic.

I'd say that a lot of people think that the latter implies the former but definitely not in my case.

  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/05/2020 at 15:37, Miah Dennehy said:

Rangers is simply because I follow Celtic. Hearts I have never really liked, had a bad couple of experiences with their fans on two separate occasions, although I am now very friendly with a couple of Hearts fans so they may move off this list at some point!. I have a soft spot for Albion Rovers who are Airdrie's main rivals, Linfield fans tie in with Rangers seem to have everything to do with sectarianism and nothing to do with football so that's why  they are there. I saw Bohemians while I was in Dublin a few years ago  and their rivalry with Shamrock Rovers is pretty fierce and the only two Shamrock fans I have ever met was in a pub before a Celtic game and they were utter dicks. My son used to live with a lovely Portuguese girl whose family were all mad Sporting fans and hated all things Benfica, so I just went along with that.

I don't really mind Willem II btw :)

 

Saw Shamrock play at Galway in Q/F of Cup last September, their support was was very lively and impressive and created a great atmosphere, didn't stop singing throughout the game, flares a plenty and a massive pitch invasion after a last-minute winner, reminded me of the old days, they got a decent little ground in Tallacht on the outskirts of Dublin

Link to post
Share on other sites

Always interested in the willem II love in, a small Dutch team with a bog standard history albeit winning a poor and smaller Dutch league a few times.. what is the link and care for them as a club as I don’t know?....can’t be city size as theirs is tiny!! I couldn’t care less for them in respect to the more romantic Dutch clubs

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 14/05/2020 at 11:31, glynriley said:

A bigger bunch of ball sack's beat them to it.......

 

nintchdbpict000367525911.thumb.jpg.3afd5dc87a4a977cef75c23749d0ef27.jpg

I've lived in Gloucester for best part of 10 years now. Can honestly say I've seen two blokes in G*s shirts. One was the day of their triumphant return to the football league. I don't see many City shirts, certainly less than 20 I would say, bit I'd hope none of them would ever have a flag like this 🤷‍♂️

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 14/05/2020 at 11:15, Ska Junkie said:

That's fair Eddie but the Gers fans do exactly the same, they're both bad. 'Penny Arcade' was originally sung AFAIK to celebrate the shooting of a catholic amusement arcade owner in Belfast although it was years ago and is now a bit of an anthem.

As someone born in Northern Ireland, I can't abide the sectarian stuff. I was over there last summer visiting family and am pleased to say it's a lot better but it still lingers hence my detestation of both factions. It really wouldn't take much for it to all kick off again and it's such a better place without it.  

This is generally the opinion I value most whenever this discussion comes up.

I can fully understand neutrals leaning towards one side of Glasgow to match their own political leanings, but it should at least come with an understanding that ultimately they are two sides of the same coin and as bad as each other. Both clubs have elements it’s easy to detest and both have supporters that are extremely toxic.

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 15/05/2020 at 22:06, MC RISK77 said:

Always interested in the willem II love in, a small Dutch team with a bog standard history albeit winning a poor and smaller Dutch league a few times.. what is the link and care for them as a club as I don’t know?....can’t be city size as theirs is tiny!! I couldn’t care less for them in respect to the more romantic Dutch clubs

Just to state some facts about Willem II:

- three times champion of The Netherlands

- two times winner of the Dutch cup

- played champions league in 1999-2000

- Europa cup 2 (played against man united with a draw at home)

- two times qualified for UEFA cup

- qualified This season for second round qualifying Europe League

- some famous old players of Willem II: Marc Overmars, Jaap Stam, Joris Matthijssen and Sami Hyypia (yes the one from Liverpool)

Last but not least: the current best two Dutch players in the world (Frenkie de Jong and Virgil van Dijk) played many years in the youth teams of Willem II....

Whatever you think, in my opinion this is quite a nice list to be proud of.... 

  • Like 7
  • Thanks 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, 'Orns said:

I've lived in Gloucester for best part of 10 years now. Can honestly say I've seen two blokes in G*s shirts. One was the day of their triumphant return to the football league. I don't see many City shirts, certainly less than 20 I would say, bit I'd hope none of them would ever have a flag like this 🤷‍♂️

Don't care if they are Rovers or City, as somebody from Gloucester that is just just very, very poor.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

Barcelona and their hollier than thou bs.

Their constant cheating/bending of the rules and in some cases outright corruption gets over looked due to their style of football, messi and their historical political stance.

I don't like real madrid either (historical political ties and constant cheating). But at least they don't pretend to have morals. 

Being that I pulled Union Berlin out of a hat as my German team yesterday... I suppose hertha Berlin now as well.... especially as its Derby day this Friday 👊.

Wir sind Unioner!
Wir sind die Kranken!

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 17/05/2020 at 09:53, ballwinningcentrehalf said:

This is generally the opinion I value most whenever this discussion comes up.

I can fully understand neutrals leaning towards one side of Glasgow to match their own political leanings, but it should at least come with an understanding that ultimately they are two sides of the same coin and as bad as each other. Both clubs have elements it’s easy to detest and both have supporters that are extremely toxic.

Absolutely. The truth of the matter is, with no disrespect intended to anyone who served in Northern Ireland or had family members who did, the situation in Ireland across the 20th Century was a horrific, sad and tragic mess from which no faction from either side or either country emerges with a great deal of credit. I

It is a huge relief that a sustained peace has so far been possible but none of us should take that for granted or absolve either "side" of guilt. It is sad that it persists to this day and neither Rangers nor Celtic come out of it with any credit at all. Both have been way too tolerant of obnoxious factions within their support. 

  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Miah Dennehy said:

AKA The Champions (again) :)

I know your post is in jest Miah,but how depressing must it be to be a Scottish football supporter?Celtic win the annual one horse race until I assume Rangers eventually manage to issue a serious challenge, however long that takes.Football in general is rapidly going down the pan but I do genuinely feel for Scottish fans.Embarrassing watching Lennon talking about a tenth consecutive title.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 15/05/2020 at 19:49, Jim Davey said:

that cant be real?

It is.

I'd forgotten about it when I made my point about the Wests but I remember it now.

I spent a few months after it happened living in Midland Road in Gloucester which is where they lived before moving to Cromwell Street which is only a couple of streets away. 

I didn't know either of those things when I moved there.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Slacker said:

I know your post is in jest Miah,but how depressing must it be to be a Scottish football supporter?Celtic win the annual one horse race until I assume Rangers eventually manage to issue a serious challenge, however long that takes.Football in general is rapidly going down the pan but I do genuinely feel for Scottish fans.Embarrassing watching Lennon talking about a tenth consecutive title.

I think the league there is just a microcosm of other leagues around the world. If Rangers hadn't been quite so naughty, you would see a two horse race which is pretty much what it is in Spain every year and Bayern Munich seem to win the league every year in Germany as do Juve in Italy.

I suppose these days the English Premier league is a bit more open  , but even that (with the possible exception of Leicester) seems to hinge on whoever has the biggest wallet that year. I'd like Celtic to get 10 in a row, but after that , I think it would be great to see someone else (bar Rangers of course!) win it.  I really enjoy watching Scottish football, including the lower league and junior stuff, where there still seems to be a connection between the fans, players and clubs. Some lovely old school grounds as well (with a few god awful new ones like Clyde and Dumbarton as well unfortunately)

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...