IGNORED

Sol Campbell insinuates Covid-19 is racist

Unan

3 hours ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

By using the term ‘a deliberate mistake’ his tweet suggests the virus was deliberately released to target people with a certain blood type - that sort of racist paranoia is surely worthy of comment

Very often when right wing people on Twitter make similar comments suggestive of prejudice against certain ethnic groups, their defenders weigh in pointing out they were "only asking questions" and that they "haven't stated an opinion - just started a debate". In that disingenuous spirit, it's worth pointing out he asks the question rather than explicitly says that is what he thinks. 

But my opinion still remains that he has made himself look silly and suggested a fringe theory nobody is going to take seriously but there is no reason for this to have attracted the rage and vitriol it has, especially when far more widely believed conspiracy theories around the virus that might actually kill people pass by without comment. 

17 hours ago, archie andrews said:

The virus hasn't hit there yet fully so I wouldn't get too cocky

So when will it hit there fully then ?

Not cocky in the slightest

WHO don't appear to know their arse from elbow with regard to Africa but perhaps you are better informed.

If he’d made a point about BAME people being more likely to be in low paid, manual jobs, being more likely to use public transport and being more likely to live in overcrowded housing then I’d have a lot more time for him. That is the reason it is affecting these groups at a disproportionately higher rate

On 10/05/2020 at 20:27, Bar BS3 said:

Yes Sol. Someone manufactured Covid 19, just to kill off a few more black people. You've sussed them out. Well done. 

Now tell us more about why shit managers don't get offered many jobs, because they are black....! 

That’s his thing tho. I can’t imagine the guy has an original thought about anything that’s not related racism.

1 hour ago, cheese said:

Umh, correct me if I'm wrong but BAME people have the same blood types as everyone else don't they?  Surely it would racist to suggest otherwise too?

Isn't it clinically proven that BAME people are 4 times more likely to die of Covid 19, if contracted..? 

I believe this is more down to vitamin D definiency, than blood type issues though. 

It's not racist to state scientific fact. 

29 minutes ago, Bar BS3 said:

Isn't it clinically proven that BAME people are 4 times more likely to die of Covid 19, if contracted..? 

I believe this is more down to vitamin D definiency, than blood type issues though. 

It's not racist to state scientific fact. 

It is also a fact that the vast majority of sickle cell victims are of African origin. As Campbell is suggesting Covid 19 may be designed to target that section of society perhaps he should be looking at sickle cell anaemia also.

I think its an absolute disgrace that the man has a platform for spouting such crap.

5 hours ago, Murraysrightplum said:

If he’d made a point about BAME people being more likely to be in low paid, manual jobs, being more likely to use public transport and being more likely to live in overcrowded housing then I’d have a lot more time for him. That is the reason it is affecting these groups at a disproportionately higher rate

Take the BAME out of this and just say, low paid, manual jobs, making use of public transport, over crowded housing AND with an underlying health condition, just how does the colour argument look then?

And then, take all of these factors AND only take into account the underlying health conditions, and how does this look?
Want to find bias for a city and rovers fan, rich and poor, city dweller and countryside, etc., you can cut and dice things as you like.

Catch covid and it does not discriminate.
The discriminators are avoiding it in the first place and that probably comes down to how well you can 'self-isolate' and then how much money you have?

If you have bias, you will find what you are looking for.

1 hour ago, Natchfever said:

It is also a fact that the vast majority of sickle cell victims are of African origin. As Campbell is suggesting Covid 19 may be designed to target that section of society perhaps he should be looking at sickle cell anaemia also.

I think its an absolute disgrace that the man has a platform for spouting such crap.

I think it's important that everyone has a platform to spout crap. 

What's OTIB for??

Thing is if he has a platform then so do others who can politely but firmly let him know why he's spouting crap.

On 11/05/2020 at 06:42, Taz said:

It would also account for why London had such a huge spike in the numbers early on. It is a hugely diverse City, add to the fact that people are so close together and in some cases living with older and extended families as well.

It's simple when you think about it. It's gotten to the point where I turn the channel over when someone starts out with something along the lines of "Covid-19 is racist". I'm all for equality and people having their say, but there are some right melts getting airtime at the moment "demanding that government look into this".

I should imagine covid-19 May also hit black people harder due to the higher proportion of black people in deprived areas/living in poverty. Potentially Less healthy, less able to seek help etc.

so while I have no belief this virus was manufactured as  ‘racist’ (or that it was manufactured at all) if there’s any truth in the logic of my above statement, then you could argue racism plays its part in it affecting people of different skin colour. 

Archived