IGNORED

10 years ago today - Steve Coppell's first day in BS3

CyderInACan

1 minute ago, Dolman_Stand said:

Just goes to show what happens when we get our Johnson out...

And when people get the high profile "big name" that so many seem to crave, rather than someone who actually gives a damn about us & the job. 

8 minutes ago, CyderInACan said:

What a disastrous few months that was eh. Took us a long time to recover from it, too. 

Still, at least he signed some great players - David James, Damion Stewart, Nicky Hunt . . . 

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2010/aug/12/steve-coppell-resigns-bristol-city

... or maybe it happened because of the way the club was been run at the time.

(This thread should be fun. Well done).

24 minutes ago, Bar BS3 said:

And when people get the high profile "big name" that so many seem to crave, rather than someone who actually gives a damn about us & the job. 

I thought he was ideal; big name maybe but not a big head like Mourinho.

He had a great track record of strongly improving average teams to be consistently good and was very astute tactically.

He looked like a great appointment and someone who could take us up to the top league and keep us there without spending a fortune.

David James was a great signing and had Steve stayed I'm sure that he would have brought in the decent defence that would have benefited from sitting in front of an England quality keeper rather than the one we had that left him as our first line of defence rather than the last one.

I have heard several versions as to why he left so quickly and don't know which to believe.

It was a great appointment that didn't work out.

Ten years eh? Wow.

From what I remember, it was SL who wanted to sign David James against Coppell's wishes that may have been the straw that broke the camels back for SC.  I rather got the impression that he didn't want that kind of interference from upstairs even though  the reasoning may have been sound.

That said, I was really excited when Coppell was appointed and was shocked at the way it turned out.

I also felt that David James would have saved us a goal a game and compared him to the cost of a goal a game striker.  Shame that he didn't take his performances seriously with us.

14 minutes ago, CyderInACan said:

Not sure I have heard too many conspiracy theories about it TBH - care to elaborate? 

Not really because they're either slandering Steve C or Steve L when the reason could genuinely have been the prosaic one given by SC: lost his ambition for the game.

41 minutes ago, Eddie Hitler said:

He had a great track record of strongly improving average teams to be consistently good and was very astute tactically.

He looked like a great appointment and someone who could take us up to the top league and keep us there without spending a fortune.

David James was a great signing and had Steve stayed I'm sure that he would have brought in the decent defence that would have benefited from sitting in front of an England quality keeper rather than the one we had that left him as our first line of defence rather than the last one.

I have heard several versions as to why he left so quickly and don't know which to believe.

Ten years eh? Wow.

Coppell's first & only league game had Hunt and Stewart in defence, both his signings, both a total disaster 

1 hour ago, Eddie Hitler said:

Ten years eh? Wow.

I agree, it was exciting at the time and seemed a great appointment. 

The problem, largely, was that he though that HE was doing us a favour, rather than wanting to be part of our longer term plans. 

It's also possible that he actually had mental health issues and couldn't handle the (any) challenge. 

There were also (rumoured) clouds hanging over the reasons of previous departures from another club. 

49 minutes ago, Eddie Hitler said:

Not really because they're either slandering Steve C or Steve L when the reason could genuinely have been the prosaic one given by SC: lost his ambition for the game.

Thinking about the loss of ambition for the game reason, thought I'd have a look at where he'd been since. Only ever spent a year anywhere, two DoF jobs in the Football League and then management at teams in India. Genuinely could have got fed up with the limelight, scrutiny etc. of being a Championship manager.

Also...Coppel and James meet again....

image.thumb.png.a22d24634850979adc36534b5bc878ae.png

24 minutes ago, Bar BS3 said:

I agree, it was exciting at the time and seemed a great appointment. 

The problem, largely, was that he though that HE was doing us a favour, rather than wanting to be part of our longer term plans. 

It's also possible that he actually had mental health issues and couldn't handle the (any) challenge. 

There were also (rumoured) clouds hanging over the reasons of previous departures from another club. 

Yes, it was probably the most universally popular managerial appointment at the club ever. Which should give us all cause for thought every time we debate managers! 

Some poor signings (though I'm in the camp that thinks David James was a good one) but let's not forget he brought Albert to us. 

1 hour ago, wendyredredrobin said:

From what I remember, it was SL who wanted to sign David James against Coppell's wishes that may have been the straw that broke the camels back for SC.  I rather got the impression that he didn't want that kind of interference from upstairs even though  the reasoning may have been sound.

That said, I was really excited when Coppell was appointed and was shocked at the way it turned out.

I also felt that David James would have saved us a goal a game and compared him to the cost of a goal a game striker.  Shame that he didn't take his performances seriously with us.

This is pretty much what happened - piecing it all together - there was a Reading fan who came on here when SC was appointed and one of the things he said that Coppell was hypersensitive to any boardroom interference and wanted to run the football side his way, he only reported through the DOF Nicky Hammond (ex player who he trusted). SC would have a drink with Madjeski in the boardroom after each game but only spoke generally (we played well today etc).  In fairness to Sc he had won promotion twice to the PL so had probably earned the right to run the football side without interference.

Fast forward to Bristol City and he arrived in a very low key way - remember he couldn't start straightaway as he was sorting out family stuff and then when we had a  pre season friendly at AG he was pictured attending a friendly in the Directors box at Brentford. So maybe the warning signs were there.

He then set about recruiting and allegedly wanted to sign 2 players he trusted and had played for him before  Ivar Ingimarsson and Dave Kitson. SL vetoed both signings as they were on top wages and getting to the end of their careers and would have no residual value when any BCFC contract ended. Coppell accepted this but within a couple of weeks SL proposed the signing of David James - who was even more expensive than the 2 ex Reading players and similarly would have no contract /sell on value at the end of the contract period. DJ wasn't a player SC would have signed from choice.  I think he just decided if he couldn't do it his way he didn't want to do it......and walked.

A couple of years later SC did a Q & A at a Berkshire School charity function and he was asked about his departure from ?city and just said something about the job not being what was indicated to him at interview and he just said the stuff about losing his passion for the game to smooth his way out without press scrutiny as he was - as we know - a very introverted private individual.   He's continued to work, mainly overseas notably in India, so is still very much involved with the game so this does seem to bear out what he said at the Q & A.

Sorry for the long reply but not doing much else at the moment!!

20 minutes ago, italian dave said:

Yes, it was probably the most universally popular managerial appointment at the club ever. Which should give us all cause for thought every time we debate managers! 

Some poor signings (though I'm in the camp that thinks David James was a good one) but let's not forget he brought Albert to us. 

Always baffles me when people ridicule the David James signing. 

I've never been so excited as when it became apparent that we were actually about to sign the (then) current England number 1! And people forget that he was fantastic for the majority of the first season here. 

Granted, he did decline during the 2nd season. 

43 minutes ago, Bar BS3 said:

Always baffles me when people ridicule the David James signing. 

I've never been so excited as when it became apparent that we were actually about to sign the (then) current England number 1! And people forget that he was fantastic for the majority of the first season here. 

Granted, he did decline during the 2nd season. 

Big time Billy Big Bollux who was right his own backside.  Signed by SL as a trophy signing and SL wanted him to promote the club and make the most of the England Player staus to sell the club,   unfortunately to David James it was just another contract, probably his last, and as soon as training was over he was straight back to his Devon home and never did any of the things SL envisaged.  And he certainly lived up to the Calamity tag.  And he was crap on Strictly  according to my Mrs !

50 minutes ago, CodeRed said:

Big time Billy Big Bollux who was right his own backside.  Signed by SL as a trophy signing and SL wanted him to promote the club and make the most of the England Player staus to sell the club,   unfortunately to David James it was just another contract, probably his last, and as soon as training was over he was straight back to his Devon home and never did any of the things SL envisaged.  And he certainly lived up to the Calamity tag.  And he was crap on Strictly  according to my Mrs !

You obviously met him far more times than I did. 

On the several occasions I got to meet him, he did a very good imitation of being humble, intelligent & happy to chat about the experiences throughout his career and was happy to self mock his calamity tag. 

James was too old. 40 at a decent level just is, was.

Hunt was a notable disappointment. His track record as a PL regular in a top half team looked good, on paper I'd suggest..

Stewart. Didn't he get into a Championship side of the year not long before joining us?

Cisse was a good player. One less out of Baldock and Davies, we keep him and things may have been different in 2012-13. Did the simple things well.

Capable of protecting defence, but reasonable technically. When I say reasonable technically, I mean in a safe passing, fairly basic type way. 

The James thing though seemed fairly typical. Like when we signed Bridges and Stewart under Tinnion. Great on paper but too old in reality.

EDIT: Bridges was only 27 at that time!! Dunno if he'd had injuries or what.

We weren't terribly well run at that time however, when Coppell was hired.

2 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Hunt was a notable disappointment. His track record as a PL regular in a top half team looked good, on paper I'd suggest..

Stewart. Didn't he get into a Championship side of the year not long before joining us?

Cisse was a good player. One less out of Baldock and Davies, we keep him and things may have been different in 2012-13. Did the simple things well.

Capable of protecting defence, but reasonable technically. When I say reasonable technically, I mean in a safe passing, fairly basic type way. 

The James thing though seemed fairly typical. Like when we signed Bridges and Stewart under Tinnion. Great on paper but too old in reality.

Hindsight is great, but you don't go from one of the top English goalscorers (Stewart) or the keeper in England's previous fixture (James) to bring crap over night. 

Both were very exciting signings. Probably just shown up by not having the same quality around them as they'd had before. 

1 minute ago, CyderInACan said:

I thought Cisse was a fantastic player. Nothing fancy but a great player. 

Arguably the player we've never been able to replace properly in modern times. 

Great player. 

36 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

EDIT: Bridges was only 27 at that time!! Dunno if he'd had injuries or what.

We weren't terribly well run at that time however, when Coppell was hired.

Bridges has just featured on one of the ‘undr the cosh’ podcasts. Bristol City was briefly bought up, he slaughtered Gary Johnson for being a bully. He seemed a real good bloke.

6 minutes ago, Portland Bill said:

Bridges has just featured on one of the ‘undr the cosh’ podcasts. Bristol City was briefly bought up, he slaughtered Gary Johnson for being a bully. He seemed a real good bloke.

I remember being told back in the day that Bridges was constantly out on the piss in (what was) Colonel Jaspers in Clifton so maybe any "bullying" was just GJ trying to get him fit! 

26 minutes ago, CyderInACan said:

I remember being told back in the day that Bridges was constantly out on the piss in (what was) Colonel Jaspers in Clifton so maybe any "bullying" was just GJ trying to get him fit! 

There were plenty of stories going around at the time re bullying, especially regarding the younger players being bullied.

3 hours ago, CodeRed said:

True he commuted to training from near Exeter but I heard he was great whilst he was here in terms of an influence in the dressing room and by all accounts one of the most competitive players you'll ever see in training and in the gym. Carried out his off-field obligations too. 

7 hours ago, CyderInACan said:

What a disastrous few months that was eh. Took us a long time to recover from it, too. 

Still, at least he signed some great players - David James, Damion Stewart, Nicky Hunt . . . 

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2010/aug/12/steve-coppell-resigns-bristol-city

David James - great? Nothing great about him unless there’s a “tit” in the sentence!

Did he actually get paid to contribute to relegation?

Archived