IGNORED

10 years ago today - Steve Coppell's first day in BS3

CyderInACan

2 hours ago, paul_fox said:

Did he sign Adomah? 

Remember that Millwall game. Their fans were giving James so much abuse after England getting thrashed by Germany blaming him 

Adomah signed for us whilst Coppell was officially our manager but it was already a done deal with Barnet by GJ from well before he was ever appointed.

Coppell was a very strange man, he made SOD seem like a stand up comedian & his reasons for not taking over for the final two months of the previous season were downright bizarre & a definite indication that his heart wasn’t really in it.

The rumour that James was signed by the owner, not the manager (hardly a first in BS3, Tony Thorpe was another) but despite his off the record briefings that he wasn’t backed Coppell was allowed to give Hunt, Stewart & Cisse very lucrative contracts they never earned again in their careers.

A disaster.

I recall that Coppell, while giving his excuses why he wasn't taking up the job immediately, endeavoured to pacify any criticism by stating that he was watching the DVDs of all City's matches home and away that season. Each further update before he took up residence in the manager's office at BS3, brought a progress report on his viewing of these DVDs. "I've now watched 29 of them." 

He got to about 37 when they went on a preseason tour and he took up the reigns and was hoping to see all 46 by the season's commencement plus the extra cup matches (I think these were thrown in as a freebie as an enticement to buy the full season's worth).

Nothing more was said about his viewing every single minute of the previous season, but my reckoning is that he finished the 46 plus added extras a couple of hours before kick-off in that Millwall home game. The first of the 2010-11 season. Mr Coppell was reported as looking 'Haunted' and 'vacant' by witnesses who seen him around the ground before kick off. He was even described as being Zombie like by others as if his body was present at the ground but his mind was in a shock fuelled parallel world. This sort of behaviour was observed in many survivors of the trenches in WWI and those returning from Vietnam to civilian life.

As City fans we need to keep in mind that we watched all, most or some of the 2009-10 season over a period of 10 months. Coppell seen it ALL in less than half that time, giving him no time to fully process and get over what he had seen in the previous 90 minutes.

Admitting a loss of interest in football and in being motivated to do well is one if the most recognised signs of someone who is suffering from shellshock. 

50 minutes ago, handsofclay said:

I recall that Coppell, while giving his excuses why he wasn't taking up the job immediately, endeavoured to pacify any criticism by stating that he was watching the DVDs of all City's matches home and away that season. Each further update before he took up residence in the manager's office at BS3, brought a progress report on his viewing of these DVDs. "I've now watched 29 of them." 

He got to about 37 when they went on a preseason tour and he took up the reigns and was hoping to see all 46 by the season's commencement plus the extra cup matches (I think these were thrown in as a freebie as an enticement to buy the full season's worth).

Nothing more was said about his viewing every single minute of the previous season, but my reckoning is that he finished the 46 plus added extras a couple of hours before kick-off in that Millwall home game. The first of the 2010-11 season. Mr Coppell was reported as looking 'Haunted' and 'vacant' by witnesses who seen him around the ground before kick off. He was even described as being Zombie like by others as if his body was present at the ground but his mind was in a shock fuelled parallel world. This sort of behaviour was observed in many survivors of the trenches in WWI and those returning from Vietnam to civilian life.

As City fans we need to keep in mind that we watched all, most or some of the 2009-10 season over a period of 10 months. Coppell seen it ALL in less than half that time, giving him no time to fully process and get over what he had seen in the previous 90 minutes.

Admitting a loss of interest in football and in being motivated to do well is one if the most recognised signs of someone who is suffering from shellshock. 

Maybe he's spent some time in Thailand prior and something happened there, sure there's rumours of him going there for the young Thai men or ladyboys haha 

7 hours ago, Bar BS3 said:

Always baffles me when people ridicule the David James signing. 

I've never been so excited as when it became apparent that we were actually about to sign the (then) current England number 1! And people forget that he was fantastic for the majority of the first season here. 

Granted, he did decline during the 2nd season. 

Great shot stopping, but his kicking was horrendous. Remember him mentioning how bad the balls were in the Championship if I remember correctly. COYR 

21 minutes ago, paul_fox said:

Maybe he's spent some time in Thailand prior and something happened there, sure there's rumours of him going there for the young Thai men or ladyboys haha 

You may say that....I couldn't possibly comment!

11 hours ago, CyderInACan said:

What a disastrous few months that was eh. Took us a long time to recover from it, too. 

Still, at least he signed some great players - David James, Damion Stewart, Nicky Hunt . . . 

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2010/aug/12/steve-coppell-resigns-bristol-city

Although in the interest of balance he also signed Albert Adomah and Kalifa Cisse

8 hours ago, Bar BS3 said:

I've never been so excited as when it became apparent that we were actually about to sign the (then) current England number 1! And people forget that he was fantastic for the majority of the first season here. 

Absolutely - and he’d just returned from representing his country in the World Cup - it seemed a phenomenal bit of business at the time ...

26 minutes ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

Although in the interest of balance he also signed Albert Adomah and Kalifa Cisse

Ciise was a great player. Did all the simple stuff 10/10.

If he was about now he would be first name on the team sheet in centre midfield . Hoping massengo is benefitting from him still being involved at the club 

Yet didn't take charge until the following season. First league game in charge was Millwall at home on the 7th August 2010, the day I got married (lost 3-0). Went to Rome on the Monday morning, came back a week later. Picked up a paper from the seat in the departure lounge at Rome Airport, and read that Millen had taken over as caretaker manager.

Thought they were being stupid and doing the normal "lower league reporting". 

Writing was on the wall from the beginning really looking back.

23 hours ago, wendyredredrobin said:

From what I remember, it was SL who wanted to sign David James against Coppell's wishes that may have been the straw that broke the camels back for SC.  I rather got the impression that he didn't want that kind of interference from upstairs even though  the reasoning may have been sound.

That said, I was really excited when Coppell was appointed and was shocked at the way it turned out.

I also felt that David James would have saved us a goal a game and compared him to the cost of a goal a game striker.  Shame that he didn't take his performances seriously with us.

Coppell wanted Stead and Pitman, SL wouldn’t sanction it. I think you’re right about James also playing a large role but can’t remember.

Why we ended up signing both players under Millen shortly after, heaven only knows.

2 minutes ago, RonWalker said:

Coppell wanted Stead and Pitman, SL wouldn’t sanction it. I think you’re right about James also playing a large role but can’t remember.

Why we ended up signing both players under Millen shortly after, heaven only knows.

Bizarre! 

5 hours ago, RonWalker said:

So if Cotts had done the decent thing and cleared off summer 2015 when the board poked their oar in, we'd probably've signed Gray, Maguire, Lingard and .... we're bloody jinxed .....

4 hours ago, exAtyeoMax said:

Found this on YT, perhaps some peeps here, were there…

Certainly a different style to that we get from Lee Johnson and Mark Ashton! Definitely didn’t mince what he thought the issues  were at the club. 

22 hours ago, The Humble Realist said:

Ciise was a great player. Did all the simple stuff 10/10.

If he was about now he would be first name on the team sheet in centre midfield . Hoping massengo is benefitting from him still being involved at the club 

Cisse was a player that you hardly noticed when he played but boy did you notice when he didn`t.

On 11/05/2020 at 12:05, Bar BS3 said:

Aged 40, too old IMO. 

Keepers can play longer but the number of times we conceded 3 goals in a game early season was ridiculous.

On 11/05/2020 at 17:00, GrahamC said:

Adomah signed for us whilst Coppell was officially our manager but it was already a done deal with Barnet by GJ from well before he was ever appointed.

Coppell was a very strange man, he made SOD seem like a stand up comedian & his reasons for not taking over for the final two months of the previous season were downright bizarre & a definite indication that his heart wasn’t really in it.

The rumour that James was signed by the owner, not the manager (hardly a first in BS3, Tony Thorpe was another) but despite his off the record briefings that he wasn’t backed Coppell was allowed to give Hunt, Stewart & Cisse very lucrative contracts they never earned again in their careers.

A disaster.

Was a period in which we were ran like crap, it's like turning water into wine except in reverse. 

Hunt had proved an experienced and competent PL RB with Bolton. Had he lost his edge? 

Stewart IIRC had won an award of some kind. 

Cisse was a player we missed in front of the back 4 in 2012-13.

Correct me if wrong but Cisse had won promotion with Reading? 

We were a bit of a joke. Managers came and went. Our wage bill rose as our League position and performance level dropped.

Had a midtableish wage bill in 2012/13 yet finished bottom by a country mile! 

Seemingly decent or good managers well in a couple of cases anyway joined us and went to shit- taking us down with them!

That was the last time SL excited me with an appointment. Steve soon realized it was not going to work with SL in charge instead of him being managing the club.A few weeks ago when the names came in who were interested in the job i foolishly got excited again.Today i feel they a just dreaming up some spine on why we went for this up and coming manager.Just put me out of this haze and tell us.

One theory I heard is that Coppell and James were brought in to boost flagging season ticket sales - in Coppell’s case once the hype had been and gone he was never going to stick around and the Lansdowns knew this, therefore Coppell’s appointment was merely to boost the coffers through season ticket sales and James was brought in because a). He was skint and b). it was a good commercial investment for the club and the kids who follow city to have England’s No. 1 at the time at the club

Archived