IGNORED

Mansfield away 2002

Milton Red

I was there, it still makes me giggle thinking of the Mansfield fans singing “can we play you every week” when they were 4-2 up! I was facing the wrong way after celebrating Lita’s equaliser when I turned round to see Christian Roberts smash in the winner. The Sags got hammered that day at home, and I heard a story the muppet on the PA system said “never mind, at least City lost today”, a sag mate of mine confirmed that was true. A little bit shocked to realise it was 18 years ago this November!

Can't believe that is 18 years ago.....where does all this time go?  Mental scenes in the away end, proper scenes!  Still in my top 5 games.  Never did I think with the birth of my daughter that I would be visiting Mansfield every weekend to visit and every time we drive past or see the ground, always brings a wry smile to my face and a reminder of that day!

(talking of time marching on, watched docu 'Ashes 2005' last night - where has that time gone? Pietersen, Flintoff, Strauss, Harmison, Hoggard, Geraint & Simon Jones etc, great team! Good insight into the fragility of the mind of a cricketer too, Ashley Giles & Simon Jones esp).

2 hours ago, Loco Rojo said:

Still got it in VHS somewhere - bought it from the City Shop. Those were the days when they sold the games.

Same, shelving out the cupboard under the stairs the other week, and there it is - sat on top of the pile of videos I still have right at the base of the stairs.

If memory serves me correctly, the camera angle throughout that game is abysmal isn't it?

7 hours ago, Taz said:

Same, shelving out the cupboard under the stairs the other week, and there it is - sat on top of the pile of videos I still have right at the base of the stairs.

If memory serves me correctly, the camera angle throughout that game is abysmal isn't it?

Yeah it’s an awful camera angle, I had it on dvd I thought but maybe it was vhs!  

30 minutes ago, 77 punk said:

i never knew the players were fighting in the tunnel  and i heard there was fighting outside , any stories on these ?

I nearly got lamped by a couple of Mansfield fans walking to car. They were proper fuming and called us cheating bastards! Funny as I recall it was their fans at 4-4 who threw the ball back of stand to waste time. The ref probably played an extra 30 secs because of it and as result.. 

Annoys me that this game hardly gets a mention when ‘the greatest comebacks of all time’ are discussed in various publications and on websites. We were 4-2 down with 3 minutes left - but that ain’t impressive enough apparently.

The last list I saw was published in a national rag and they had the greatest ever comeback as Man U 2 Bayern Munich 1 in 1999 - typical premier league bias - there have been better comebacks than ours at Mansfield too, weren’t Swindon once 4-1 down at Brum and they won 4-6? Or did I dream that one??! @Shaun Taylor ?

1 hour ago, Never to the dark side said:
  •  

Loco Rojo

East end old boy

and Taz

Wany those videos transferred to DVD? FREE OF CHARGE

contact me e-mail johngreatwestern@aol.com

Thanks for the offer John, but I do actually have a vhs-dvdrw, just haven't gotten around to finishing converting all the stuff I have on VHS.

May get around to finishing it all at some point ?

Archived