IGNORED

Mansfield away 2002

Milton Red

17 minutes ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

Annoys me that this game hardly gets a mention when ‘the greatest comebacks of all time’ are discussed in various publications and on websites. We were 4-2 down with 3 minutes left - but that ain’t impressive enough apparently.

The last list I saw was published in a national rag and they had the greatest ever comeback as Man U 2 Bayern Munich 1 in 1999 - typical premier league bias - there have been better comebacks than ours at Mansfield too, weren’t Swindon once 4-1 down at Brum and they won 4-6? Or did I dream that one??! @Shaun Taylor ?

Yes you're tight BS4 in 1993 Swindon were 4-1 down against Birmingham and ended up winning 6-4 in the playnoff season. Also great memories away at Mansfield in 86 when we clinched promotion there.

I was only young

before game was in Pizza Hut I think with my dad when a large mob of city got marched down the road by police

we left at 4-2 and couldn’t get out the car park as car was blocked in, we were stood outside car while my dad had a few fags (he was fuming!) we heard a faint cheer and assumed nothing 

will always remember my mum calling all excited, we had no idea what happened and assumed we had lost maybe 4-3 then she told was what happened, gutted didn’t even come close

was also lively outside whilst game was still going on so we weren’t the only ones to miss it!

4 hours ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

Annoys me that this game hardly gets a mention when ‘the greatest comebacks of all time’ are discussed in various publications and on websites. We were 4-2 down with 3 minutes left - but that ain’t impressive enough apparently.

The last list I saw was published in a national rag and they had the greatest ever comeback as Man U 2 Bayern Munich 1 in 1999 - typical premier league bias - there have been better comebacks than ours at Mansfield too, weren’t Swindon once 4-1 down at Brum and they won 4-6? Or did I dream that one??! @Shaun Taylor ?

I rememeber a televised game - Port Vale v QPR that was 4-1 with maybe ten mins left and ended 4-4?

The only comeback that compares to that 5-4 in my mind are Man City’s v Qpr 3-2 to win title but even then that was only 2 goals not 3

11 hours ago, weepywall said:

I got thrown out by the stewards at half time but got back in when the gates opened. ??

Were you by any chance on crutches at the time?

I seem to remember a lad being ejected for waving his crutches in the air, probably near the end of the game thinking about it.

7 hours ago, TomF said:

I nearly got lamped by a couple of Mansfield fans walking to car. They were proper fuming and called us cheating bastards! Funny as I recall it was their fans at 4-4 who threw the ball back of stand to waste time. The ref probably played an extra 30 secs because of it and as result.. 

Yeah, quite right.  The ball went out into the side terrace, came back down towards the pitch (I think it was Mickey Bell waiting for the ball to take the throw in) and it was then chucked right back up into the terrace, to  huge cheers and laughter from the home fans.  Totally boiled my p1ss, that did.  Along with the "Can we play you every week" songs when we'd buggered it up from 2-1 up and then 4-2 down.  Karma is a wonderful thing.  As usual, I'd taken my 13 year old lad that day and he wanted his mate to come as well - first away game for his mate.  What great choice!!  It took nearly an hour to get out of their car park after the game but I spent all of that time just muttering "Unbelievable........unbelievable".  Those two lads still remember the game as if it was yesterday.  If you were there and stayed to the end, it's a day that will stay with you forever.  If you were following the game via Jeff on Sky Sports News (big ask...but has anyone got SSN footage from that day????), I guess it was a really good bit of television.  And if you left the ground with 10 minutes to go...........sorry!

1 hour ago, Sixtyseconds said:

Left at 4-2 to through the stone throwing contest in the car park.

Stopped at Ashby de la zouche en route home to find our chaps had won 5-4.

Thought people were on about the car park.

Ashby de la zouche used to be a regular stop off on the way back from away games until we had a bit of a “run in” with a few Forest geezers one night. We weren’t welcome after that.

The OB were rather slow to turn up and the pub was ready for a full refit afterwards!

42 minutes ago, JackofromSanJavier said:

Yeah, quite right.  The ball went out into the side terrace, came back down towards the pitch (I think it was Mickey Bell waiting for the ball to take the throw in) and it was then chucked right back up into the terrace, to  huge cheers and laughter from the home fans.  Totally boiled my p1ss, that did.  Along with the "Can we play you every week" songs when we'd buggered it up from 2-1 up and then 4-2 down.  Karma is a wonderful thing.  As usual, I'd taken my 13 year old lad that day and he wanted his mate to come as well - first away game for his mate.  What great choice!!  It took nearly an hour to get out of their car park after the game but I spent all of that time just muttering "Unbelievable........unbelievable".  Those two lads still remember the game as if it was yesterday.  If you were there and stayed to the end, it's a day that will stay with you forever.  If you were following the game via Jeff on Sky Sports News (big ask...but has anyone got SSN footage from that day????), I guess it was a really good bit of television.  And if you left the ground with 10 minutes to go...........sorry!

Was my first City away game too. I told my old man I wanted to go home at 4-2 down...

So I’m glad he told me to do one! 

1 hour ago, Countryfile said:

Were you by any chance on crutches at the time?

I seem to remember a lad being ejected for waving his crutches in the air, probably near the end of the game thinking about it.

No not me on the crutches but the lad on the crutches had some stick from the stewards before halftime and he was knocked to the floor, I intervened so to speak to help him out and they threw me out...you have a good memory !!!!

16 minutes ago, weepywall said:

No not me on the crutches but the lad on the crutches had some stick from the stewards before halftime and he was knocked to the floor, I intervened so to speak to help him out and they threw me out...you have a good memory !!!!

Just stuck in my mind, unlike everything else I should remember?

14 minutes ago, Countryfile said:

Just stuck in my mind, unlike everything else I should remember?

Nah I remember the stewards going in hard when we made it 1-1. See the pic below! 

1 hour ago, TomF said:

I must have some very blury photos of the game somewhere 

109-0904_IMG.jpg109-0935_IMG.jpg109-0933_IMG.jpg109-0930_IMG.jpg109-0928_IMG.jpg109-0924_IMG.jpg109-0919_IMG.jpg109-0918_IMG.jpg109-0914_IMG.jpg109-0912_IMG.jpg109-0911_IMG.jpg109-0908_IMG.jpgAA

1 hour ago, JackofromSanJavier said:

Can remember at the time the Sky outside reporter saying it was the greatest comeback and one of the most incredible games he had ever witnessed, when we scored the 5th and winner Jeff said something like Bristol city fans you won't believe what's just happened, which immediately made me think we had blown it, the commentator at the game was literally speechless and could hardly speak.

6 hours ago, Shaun Taylor said:

Yes you're tight BS4 in 1993 Swindon were 4-1 down against Birmingham and ended up winning 6-4 in the playnoff season. Also great memories away at Mansfield in 86 when we clinched promotion there.

I’m not ‘tight’ - always first to the bar to get the ciders in! ?

2 hours ago, TomF said:

I rememeber a televised game - Port Vale v QPR that was 4-1 with maybe ten mins left and ended 4-4?

The only comeback that compares to that 5-4 in my mind are Man City’s v Qpr 3-2 to win title but even then that was only 2 goals not 3

I remember that Port Vale game - it was ‘live’ on tv for some reason, on a Sunday? I just checked and QPR were 4-1 down with five minutes left. 

I also remember (the original and more likeable) Man City were 0-3 down in the cup at Spurs at half time and won 3-4?

8 hours ago, Never to the dark side said:
  •  

Loco Rojo

East end old boy

and Taz

Wany those videos transferred to DVD? FREE OF CHARGE

contact me e-mail johngreatwestern@aol.com

Hi John. That's very kind of you to offer. I may take you up on that. I'll dig out and drop you a mail when I've found it.

13 minutes ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

I remember that Port Vale game - it was ‘live’ on tv for some reason, on a Sunday? I just checked and QPR were 4-1 down with five minutes left. 

I also remember (the original and more likeable) Man City were 0-3 down in the cup at Spurs at half time and won 3-4?

Yeah that Man City FA Cup game defo should be noted as one of best - with reb men too as Barton was sent off at half time wasn’t he? 

Archived