IGNORED

Gianfranco Zola management style - discussion

Lrrr

Given there's not much non coronavirus sport discussion found this quite interesting on sky earlier. It was Zola talking about his time in England and how his philosophy used to be that he didn't need to spend as much time working on defensive aspects if you focused on being better in possession and attacking, the logic being the more you have the ball the less defending you need to do. Perhaps born out of being Watford manager and having such a good attacking team and winning the play offs. But in an interview he said he's reflected on how he used to coach and if/when he gets his next job defensive/out of possession work will take much higher priority, he also talked about pressing and how important he believes it to be. 

By no means advocating he should be our next manager etc after his time at Birmingham, but if he gets another job in the championship I think his team could be one to watch out for depending on who it were.

Attacking is a, relatively small, amount of the game.

When you don't have the ball, you're defending. When you have the ball, half of the time you're defending.

I'm not advocating we employ Simeone tactics, but I think defending is more important than attacking.

1 hour ago, Seneca the Younger said:

Attacking is a, relatively small, amount of the game.

When you don't have the ball, you're defending. When you have the ball, half of the time you're defending.

I'm not advocating we employ Simeone tactics, but I think defending is more important than attacking.

Goals win games. Defences win trophies. 

Archived