IGNORED

Who is your favourite overseas team?

CyderInACan

8 minutes ago, Red-Robbo said:

Lucky they moved from the Wankdorf as well!  ;)

It does seem like a wind up doesn't it? I have to admit that I childishly took a picture of the huge Wankdorf Centre sign the first time I was there. Everyone still calls it that, it's named after the area of Bern. Fortunately they are changing the name back for next season anyway.

I'm not Bernese but even I slightly resented it being called the Stade de Suisse when most people here speak German as a first language and we very rarely get national team matches anyway.

10 hours ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Atalanta in Italy- check their net spend and check that they rose off the back of selling academy prospects- similar to us and Brentford- and prosper with 3 at the back- similar to Wolves and Sheffield United. Pretty attack minded too, often plenty of goals- can easily be at either end!

They are a fantastic team to watch and had just reached the quarter finals of the Champions League, even after losing their first 3 games, before football came to a stop. Ideally located in Bergamo too with cheap flights from Bristol.

3 hours ago, oldstandrobin said:

Ditto. My overseas team is Malaga. Me and Liz used to have season tickets at La Roselada when we lived there. Fantastic ground and team.

That's at least three of us in here then, with @Barry Sheene as well.

Hope to move to Andalucía sometime in the future, and will definitely be getting a season ticket when I do.

13 minutes ago, elhombrecito said:

That's at least three of us in here then, with @Barry Sheene as well.

Hope to move to Andalucía sometime in the future, and will definitely be getting a season ticket when I do.

We went down there in Feb, just before this crap started, and looked at somewhere in Murcia. Decided it was too far so when it's all over will go back and look at a site near Alhaurin De La Torre where we used to live before. Problem is with this crap going on, if Doris pushes through brexit under the radar, our likelihood of getting residencia might not look so good. Will have to be patient and wait and see.

Been to see the Vancouver Whitecaps a few times.  Even saw them play away  v  Sounders in Seattle.

It ain't the same by a long margin.  The pitch at BC place is too big, and it becomes a non contact sport, add the standard of referring in the MLS and its just about ok too watch.  I can usually round up around 30 expats here in Victoria, and we go across on a dayer.  It includes ferries and buses and trains just to get there.  Its more of anyway day travelling to Vancouver from Victoria :laugh:.  Its more about the lads than the football anyway.   There are supporters groups in Vancouver, but they just try too hard to get an "atmosphere going".  It feels forced rather than just an organic and natural way of supporting your team.

One thing that baffles me, is that you will be drinking in the bars, and about 2 hours before kick off they will down their beers, congregate and at location 1km from the ground.  Sing songs, and walk in 90 mins before kick off.  Its almost $15 for a pint in the stadium. Still, its then very easy to get served in the pubs.  Must be the North American way.... just not for me.

Stevo

9 minutes ago, Bobby Bollax said:

Barcelona for me.

Bobby Robson, Gary Lineker and Mark Hughes Was the initial  interest

Seen Barcelona at the Nou camp with my girlfriend  (now wife).... When Ronaldinho was there amongst many other greats....

Also watched Sparta Prague once while on a romantic weekend away with another girl... didn't last that relationship! 

So I support Nice.

Parma In Italy, I used to love football Italia and despite the fact I am half Sicilian and technically should follow Palermo, that Parma team in the 90’s was superb.

Zola, asprilla, brolin and Melli initially, then  later followed by Buffon, cannavaro, Thurman and crespo.

Their kits were always superb home and away, and I even loved their shitty little stadium.

Won two European trophies, fabulous story which was probably illegally funded, but hey that’s Italians for you.

also have admiration for 

Barca, Celtic and Boca

On 13/05/2020 at 18:39, CyderInACan said:

As it says. Or if not favourite then certainly the ones who’s results/position in the table you look out for?

i must say I keep an eye out for how Cracovia are getting on (saw them play at home 2yrs ago whilst there on a stag) and also having been to the old San Mamés (la Catedral) I always follow how Athletic Bilbao are doing. 

Also Chicago Fire having seen them play the San José Earthquakes at Soldier Field 15yrs ago. 

Never been fortunate or adventurous enough to have lived abroad (yet!) but know plenty of people who have and followed their local club etc etc and continue to do so 

Willem ii. Antwerp. Dortmund

Archived