IGNORED

Who is our German equivelant?

Unan

With the German league back today, I need a proper german team. Big city that's never achieved anything, friendly people with an ever present sense of dread yet an incredibly laid back attitude, progressive club with the right morals, etc. 

What club is this in Germany?

18 minutes ago, Seneca the Younger said:

With the German league back today, I need a proper german team. Big city that's never achieved anything, friendly people with an ever present sense of dread yet an incredibly laid back attitude, progressive club with the right morals, etc. 

What club is this in Germany?

FC Koln are going to be mine. Mainly for two reasons, it`s one of the most beautiful cities I`ve ever visited and I used to love watching Pierre Littbarski back in the day.

34 minutes ago, Lanterne Rouge said:

FC Koln are going to be mine. Mainly for two reasons, it`s one of the most beautiful cities I`ve ever visited and I used to love watching Pierre Littbarski back in the day.

I have a few Koln shirts. They're my choice for a German team. Plus they play in red and white and have their mascot, Hennes the goat on their badge which also incorporates Cologne Cathedral.  Rather like our old robin badge with the Suspension Bridge. Hennes attends every home game and stays on the touchline. He's currently Hennes VIII.

20200516_115731.jpg

24 minutes ago, handsofclay said:

I have a few Koln shirts. They're my choice for a German team. Plus they play in red and white and have their mascot, Hennes the goat on their badge which also incorporates Cologne Cathedral.  Rather like our old robin badge with the Suspension Bridge. Hennes attends every home game and stays on the touchline. He's currently Hennes VIII.

20200516_115731.jpg

Whats the goat doing??... 

1 hour ago, Lanterne Rouge said:

I was going to say Cologne. They've had a mostly poor last twenty years stuck in Div 2 with occasional short-lived forays into the top division.

Plus they had Tony Woodcock who was one of the first, or maybe even the first, regular England picks that was playing for a foreign team.

1 hour ago, magunn said:

How about Hannover 96. Currently in German 2nd Division not won anything for best part of 70 years. Similar population to Bristol

Good pick as Bristol is twinned with Hannover. I was going to go for Dynamo Dresden, as it is the only German city I have visited.  The good news is that they were due to play each other tomorrow, the bad news is that the game has been postponed as 2 of the Dresden team have tested positive for Covid 19!

1 minute ago, New Dazzler said:

Good pick as Bristol is twinned with Hannover. I was going to go for Dynamo Dresden, as it is the only German city I have visited.  The good news is that they were due to play each other tomorrow, the bad news is that the game has been postponed as 2 of the Dresden team have tested positive for Covid 19!

Dresden has a bit of a naughty vibe to it though being ex DDR, they’re more along the Millwall side of things 

27 minutes ago, Eastside Moonwalker said:

Dresden has a bit of a naughty vibe to it though being ex DDR, they’re more along the Millwall side of things 

Worked there a few times, still not too fond of the Brits. The church that was left standing is a sight to behold though and they've got some wicked micro breweries there. 

Spent a few lovely evenings in a restaurant with its' own brewery, on the banks of the Elbe.

Isn't the church pretty much the only building we didn't level during the war?

13 minutes ago, Eddie Hitler said:

I take your word for it; as I've not heard the name before he has to pre-date Woodcock.

As of course would Keegan at Hamburg per the other post.

He played for Villa late 50's early 60's, went to Inter around the same time as Greaves and Law went seeking fortune abroad.

3 minutes ago, slartibartfast said:

He played for Villa late 50's early 60's, went to Inter around the same time as Greaves and Law went seeking fortune abroad.

There isn't much history in football beyond living memory.

A Derby fan struggled to disbelieve that I was winding him up when I said I hadn't heard of Kevin Hector.

He was a Derby striker who won two England caps in 1973 and was this chap's childhood hero.

He wasn't that much older than me, maybe six or eight years, but that was enough for me to genuinely not know who he was.

2 hours ago, Bar BS3 said:

Bremen is a lovely place. Went there on my school exchange (many years ago!) 

Only got to go past the ground, rather than in it, but always kept an eye for them since then. 

I Love Bremen, lived there on and off for a few years. Lots of similarities to Bristol too, inland port, it was bombed the heck out of in 2nd World War because of its industry (planes and U boats) and if you walk through the city by the riverside it is so looks so very similar to Bristol with its mixture and style of architecture, I felt at home the first day I was there. 

11 minutes ago, cider hoss rules said:

I was wondering if there was a city in Germany that had 2 teams, one being average the other being a car crash of a club to make some sort of comparison.

I was going to google it, but couldn't be arsed in the end....... sorry.

Berlin is a good example of teams that haven’t really proved they can win loads, surprising really given the city, I guess dividing the city in 2 halves didn’t really help but Hertha are permanent underachievers and Union aren’t too bad but are more the people’s club. Both have still achieved more than Rovers ever will though 

1 hour ago, slartibartfast said:

Before Hitchens there was a Stoke defender called Neil Franklin, I think, who played in the Columbian League for more dosh in the early fifties. He was also an Englan international and was subsequently banned  iirc.

4 minutes ago, handsofclay said:

Before Hitchens there was a Stoke defender called Neil Franklin, I think, who played in the Columbian League for more dosh in the early fifties. He was also an Englan international and was subsequently banned  iirc.

I could be wrong here, but didn't he once manage Colchester ?

And of course John Charles sort of started the footballing "brain-drain ".

2 hours ago, Ska Junkie said:

Worked there a few times, still not too fond of the Brits. The church that was left standing is a sight to behold though and they've got some wicked micro breweries there. 

Spent a few lovely evenings in a restaurant with its' own brewery, on the banks of the Elbe.

Isn't the church pretty much the only building we didn't level during the war?

I believe I may have dined in the same restaurant sjust a few years ago - upstairs on the first floor with wonderful views of the soon, i.e. hours, to be flooded Elbe!

Fortunately, the Opera House was also saved (from bombing).

[Translate to Englisch:] Die beleuchtete Semperoper bei Nacht

4 hours ago, handsofclay said:

20200516_115731.jpg

I would go for Koln. Watched them a few years back. Superb stadium and atmosphere and very friendly supporters. We have cider and they have kolsch the local brew. A few of those before the game sets you up nicely! They have a more illustrious history than City but also a feeling of generally never fulfilling their potential which sounds familiar. 

645FEEB0-10F6-46FA-BA51-F8792CFDC250.jpeg

1 hour ago, hollydog said:

I would go for Koln. Watched them a few years back. Superb stadium and atmosphere and very friendly supporters. We have cider and they have kolsch the local brew. A few of those before the game sets you up nicely! They have a more illustrious history than City but also a feeling of generally never fulfilling their potential which sounds familiar. 

645FEEB0-10F6-46FA-BA51-F8792CFDC250.jpeg

Spooky, that was almost the same seat I had for a Rolling Stones concert in Cologne circa 98/99.

Really enjoyed Dortmund vs Schalke this afternoon.....some cracking goals.

Archived