IGNORED

Who is our German equivelant?

Unan

6 hours ago, handsofclay said:

I have a few Koln shirts. They're my choice for a German team. Plus they play in red and white and have their mascot, Hennes the goat on their badge which also incorporates Cologne Cathedral.  Rather like our old robin badge with the Suspension Bridge. Hennes attends every home game and stays on the touchline. He's currently Hennes VIII.

20200516_115731.jpg

Had a few wives, or so I heard.

7 hours ago, Lanterne Rouge said:

FC Koln are going to be mine. Mainly for two reasons, it`s one of the most beautiful cities I`ve ever visited and I used to love watching Pierre Littbarski back in the day.

You beat me to it. Koln is a lovely city. Similar to Bristol in that it is not in a heavy industrial area from the past like clubs in the Ruhr.

1 hour ago, RED4LIFE said:

I would say Fortuna Dusseldorf is a similar club to City. 

Both cities populations are similar, they play in red and white and have won very little throughout their history.

Dusseldorf is a very nice city too.

Similar music legacies too - they have Kraftwerk, we have The Wurzels.

2 hours ago, RED4LIFE said:

Both cities populations are similar, they play in red and white and have won very little throughout their history.

Fortuna for me all day.  I got engaged to a German sort in '75 when we both worked in London and she was a bit of a fan.  When she went back to West Germany we kept in almost daily touch by letter!  She invited me out to meet her parents so I took trains across Europe using my InterRail ticket, cheap as chips travel for the under 26's at the time.  I eventually arrived in Dusseldorf and was met by Regina and her Dad.  Driven out of the city to their gaff, which turned out to be a bloody huge castle.  After the first night where I'd been accommodated in a separate wing from their daughter, the Dad took me for a walk round the grounds whilst Regina was shopping with her Mum, told me I wouldn't be getting anywhere near marrying his daughter and pushed almost two grand in Duetsch Marks into my sweaty hand.  

I was earning about 40 quid a week then, so packing the bags straight away and getting driven to the airport, being bought an early lunch and a plane ticket to Heathrow was an easy decision.  I know that I might sound a bit mercenary, but I have a strong suspicion that had I not taken up that kind offer from her old man, he would surely have 'known people'.  And their place had two big lakes.

Come on 'Die Flingeraner'  Come on Die Flingeraner..........come on (oh, you know the rest).

Have often looked out for their disappointing results ever since!

18 teams in the bundesliga. 

Get a dice. Roll it 3 times. Whatever the total number comes out as, support the team in that position. So if you roll a 1, 3 and 5, support the team in 9th place. At the moment, that would be hoffeinheim. 

By doing this, it means you cannot follow bayern and dortmund which is fine as it would be dull supporting them as they're far too good. Granted they're not too far ahead but either way, they'll finish 1st and 2nd, we all know it. 

In the late 80s I never missed an away game with City. I remember a City fan who always wore a white German bomber jacket with the German flag across the chest. He seemed to attend every game and always had that coat on. I wonder if he still goes down the gate? I'd guess he'd be late 50s now.

5 hours ago, JamesBCFC said:

Had a few wives, or so I heard.

Actually, since I ditched BTSport a couple of years back in favour of Sky with the red button I have since discovered that they're on Hennes IX now. Poor old Hennes VIII all those wives draining him must have contributed to his early demise.

1 hour ago, Welcome To The Jungle said:

Cheap tickets, passionate fans, community spirit, not fleecing children and disabled people, no narcissistic owners...don't think we're like any German club

Don’t agree with all that - kids tickets are pretty good value - but apart from that your views mirror mine. Fan (not customer) experience in Germany compared to here is light years ahead.  

4 hours ago, Welcome To The Jungle said:

Cheap tickets, passionate fans, community spirit, not fleecing children and disabled people, no narcissistic owners...don't think we're like any German club

It's a strange comparison by the OP tbh.

On the pitch there maybe some similarities, off it- English and German football have big differences.

Hannover seems a good shout though, just checked their honours- very little, big city club, but not much.

3 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Werder Bremen have won some Bundesliga titles so that's a questionable equivalent @Bar BS3

Fortuna have won a number of Cups.

Koln have played in Europe. Probably won trophies too?

Should pick a fairly big city club who haven't won a major trophy, for a start..

Not much though for a club their size,  a couple of league titles forty or fifty years ago, a few cups but nothing since 1983 and a UEFA Cup final appearance in 1986. They`ve been up and down from the Bundesliga half a dozen times in the last twenty or so years.

I`d probably equate them with someone like Newcastle over here.

6 hours ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Werder Bremen have won some Bundesliga titles so that's a questionable equivalent @Bar BS3

Fortuna have won a number of Cups.

Koln have played in Europe. Probably won trophies too?

Should pick a fairly big city club who haven't won a major trophy, for a start..

I didn't claim they were our equivalent. I explained why, if any, I kept an eye on their results. 

Bremen however, as a city, does have similarities to Bristol. 

I think anyone looking for a close match to a team in the top tier of German football is probably being optimistic, for now. 

On 16/05/2020 at 20:20, RED4LIFE said:

It also has the longest bar in the world - actually, that's not strictly true, but the bars in the old town are sort of inter-connected and the locals claim it is all one big bar. They also have their own local beer, Altbier, which is more like a traditional English beer, rather than the ubiquitous 'lager' type beers found throughout Germany.

18 hours ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Hannover seems a good shout though, just checked their honours- very little, big city club, but not much.

I think this would flatter us somewhat, considering the number of seasons Hannover have to their name in the top division of der Bundesliga.

I think we are looking for the name of a German club where most on here go: never heard of them before ....

16 hours ago, PHILINFRANCE said:

It also has the longest bar in the world - actually, that's not strictly true, but the bars in the old town are sort of inter-connected and the locals claim it is all one big bar. They also have their own local beer, Altbier, which is more like a traditional English beer, rather than the ubiquitous 'lager' type beers found throughout Germany.

Had a couple of cracking nights out in a fair few of those that make up that big bar in the Old Town. 

On 17/05/2020 at 16:44, Bar BS3 said:

I didn't claim they were our equivalent. I explained why, if any, I kept an eye on their results. 

Bremen however, as a city, does have similarities to Bristol. 

I think anyone looking for a close match to a team in the top tier of German football is probably being optimistic, for now. 

Agree Bristol and Bremen are very similar, same destruction in WWII, same historic industries, inland port, shitty postwar rebuilds amongst beautiful old buildings, river running through the city. I felt really at home when I lived there

On 16/05/2020 at 11:02, Seneca the Younger said:

With the German league back today, I need a proper german team. Big city that's never achieved anything, friendly people with an ever present sense of dread yet an incredibly laid back attitude, progressive club with the right morals, etc. 

What club is this in Germany?

Twin city is Hanover  went to Bayern Munich for my 60th but im told Dortmond has a city following have watched Man city in champions league versus Monchengladbach  couple of years back.

Archived