IGNORED

Continental football thread

mozo

1 hour ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Erm Chelsea lost £100m in 2018/19.

Id be interested to see their FFP compliance or otherwise. Regardless of Covid.

In the summer they sold Hazard, Aina, Luiz, Kalas, Hector, Bakayoko's loan fee was almost £3m etc probably goes a long way to keep them good

4 minutes ago, hodge said:

In the summer they sold Hazard, Aina, Luiz, Kalas, Hector, Bakayoko's loan fee was almost £3m etc probably goes a long way to keep them good

True but I'm thinking more of the UEFA limits of £25m plus allowables over 3 seasons. 

From memory, that £100m loss included at least and maybe more £60m in profit on transfers. As in without it, £160m and more.

Not looked at Chelsea finances in depth though, not for a while. Return to CL will have helped too.

3 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

True but I'm thinking more of the UEFA limits of £25m plus allowables over 3 seasons. 

From memory, that £100m loss included at least and maybe more £60m in profit on transfers. As in without it, £160m and more.

Not looked at Chelsea finances in depth though, not for a while. Return to CL will have helped too.

Haven't looked at which accounts the transfers above would have gone into. Then got to account as to who will likely leave this summer, Lampard wants Kepa gone, if Werner joins probably again limits Hudson-Odoi's chances with Werner able to play wide as well if needed so he could be off as well. Rumour Jorginho wants to go to Juve to join Sarri again, Giroud going to be happy with another striker? Another £8m or so there potentially even with 1 year left.

2 minutes ago, hodge said:

Haven't looked at which accounts the transfers above would have gone into. Then got to account as to who will likely leave this summer, Lampard wants Kepa gone, if Werner joins probably again limits Hudson-Odoi's chances with Werner able to play wide as well if needed so he could be off as well. Rumour Jorginho wants to go to Juve to join Sarri again, Giroud going to be happy with another striker? Another £8m or so there potentially even with 1 year left.

Good points, yeah after what you say think they'll be fine but potentially one to keep half an eye on. Lot of saleable assets there as you say!

Yeah seems strange that Chelsea could swoop, when Liverpool, with their huge recent income, are tentative.

For Chelsea, an attacking quartet of Mount, Pulisic, Werner and Ziyech (with Tammy off the bench) does have a lot of potential. 

Rumours abound that Havertz speaking with Liverpool and Man U.

50 minutes ago, Lanterne Rouge said:

I was just thinking that myself - it really does change the atmosphere, so much better.

I think its superb. Almost forgot there are no fans. Surely we will have it.

Yeah Johnson has said they're looking at it. I think it helps the viewer more than the player.

When Leverkusen went ahead (and were playing well) I thought the title race was still alive, but you may as well give Bayern the title now. They deserve it.

2 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Seen only decent chunks of 2nd half but feels like Bayer Leverkusen not played that badly yet still 3-1 down!

There was a 20 minute period in the 1st half where they capitulated. I think they really miss Havertz for that class up front.

In other news, Mario Balotelli has been sacked from Brescia for repeatedly failing to turn up to training, despite Balotelli repeatedly citing COVID fears as a reason.

On the one hand, Balotelli.

On the other hand, Massimo Cellino. The disastermind behind Leeds becoming a gibbering wreck of a club, who also wants to buy Birmingham City.

37 minutes ago, ballwinningcentrehalf said:

I didn’t realise this initially, but I believe the crowd noises are only added for television audiences, rather than piped through into the stadium.

In which case it would certainly only help the viewer!

See, I told you! ?

1 hour ago, sephjnr said:

In other news, Mario Balotelli has been sacked from Brescia for repeatedly failing to turn up to training, despite Balotelli repeatedly citing COVID fears as a reason.

On the one hand, Balotelli.

On the other hand, Massimo Cellino. The disastermind behind Leeds becoming a gibbering wreck of a club, who also wants to buy Birmingham City.

If I was Balotelli I’d be looking forward to a potential lawsuit he’d be bringing against the club 

6 minutes ago, hodge said:

If I was Balotelli I’d be looking forward to a potential lawsuit he’d be bringing against the club 

He's a curious chap. Without doubt he came from a difficult start in life, but was also blessed with phenomenal talent. He's played for some of the biggest clubs in England, Italy and France and scored against England in a world cup. And yet it seems like his career has just been one self-imposed disappointment after another. 

He never really had a prime. It would be nice for him just to find a spiritual home and enjoy football before his career comes to an end.

21 hours ago, Super said:

Pretty good watch. Obviously prefer our leagues though.

The standard of the last couple of games I've watched has been excellent.  Dortmund are a great watch. Masterclass in playing 3 4 3.  If they kept their players together for 2 years they would overhaul Bayern but it won't happen.  Not just Sancho and Haaland but a number of their other younger players look top class.

I always thought we could have gone 3 4 3 this season to accomodate both Eliasson and Palmer in the side but he only ever tried it at West Brom which was a disaster.

45 minutes ago, mozo said:

He's a curious chap. Without doubt he came from a difficult start in life, but was also blessed with phenomenal talent. He's played for some of the biggest clubs in England, Italy and France and scored against England in a world cup. And yet it seems like his career has just been one self-imposed disappointment after another. 

He never really had a prime. It would be nice for him just to find a spiritual home and enjoy football before his career comes to an end.

He's a kid who never grew up.

La Liga starts tomorrow with the Seville derby. And there is a game every single day for the next 40 days. 

Don't forget that La Liga TV is free for a month. It's then £5.99 a month, but you can cancel any time. Just sign up here: https://www.premiersports.com/subscribenow

Apparently, the games will all be shown with fake crowd noise, as well as having a crowd superimposed into the stadium, so that should be interesting! 

And for those of us interested in La Liga 2, all games are still free on YouTube. 

5 hours ago, elhombrecito said:

La Liga starts tomorrow with the Seville derby. And there is a game every single day for the next 40 days. 

Don't forget that La Liga TV is free for a month. It's then £5.99 a month, but you can cancel any time. Just sign up here: https://www.premiersports.com/subscribenow

Apparently, the games will all be shown with fake crowd noise, as well as having a crowd superimposed into the stadium, so that should be interesting! 

And for those of us interested in La Liga 2, all games are still free on YouTube. 

Massive derby this one, I’m reading a book atm all about the two teams from Seville. The writer likens the two clubs to having Newcastle and Sunderland in the same city, the passion for football is immense.

Interesting fact, after Barca, Real Madrid and Atletico Madrid, Real Betis are the 4th best supported club in Spain, over 50k season ticket holders?

5 hours ago, Portland Bill said:

Massive derby this one, I’m reading a book atm all about the two teams from Seville. The writer likens the two clubs to having Newcastle and Sunderland in the same city, the passion for football is immense.

Interesting fact, after Barca, Real Madrid and Atletico Madrid, Real Betis are the 4th best supported club in Spain, over 50k season ticket holders?

Had no idea that Real Betis had such support or even a ground big enough to hold 50k people (let alone 60k!)

4 hours ago, JamesBCFC said:

Had no idea that Real Betis had such support or even a ground big enough to hold 50k people (let alone 60k!)

Literally the only thing I have ever known Real Betis for is Joaquin who in the early 00s was heralded as a wing wizard. He went to Valencia and he didn't ever became that world class superstar that people expected. I think he went back to Betis and might even still be there.

10 hours ago, Portland Bill said:

5 hours ago, JamesBCFC said:

Stayed in Seville last year, and this was the view from my hotel room...

EFFECTS.jpg

It's a huge stadium!

Unfortunately, due to redevelopment work at Sevilla's stadium, I managed to visit in the one week of the season where both teams were away, so didn't get to watch a game! ?

Archived