IGNORED

One for the old uns.

redysteadygo1

Came across this photo on Steve Sutor's Facebook page " Old Football Photographs". Think it must be 1955/56 season after promotion the season before from the old 3rd Division South. We only had to wait another 20 years!

How many players from this squad did you see play.

Here's my list ;

Cyril Williams,  Ernie Peacock,. Jackie Bailey,  Alec Eisenstrager,. Mike Thresher,  Jackie White,  Jimmy Rogers,  Arnold Rodgers,  Johnny Watkins,  Ivor Guy,  Bob Anderson,  John Atyeo,  Tony Cook and  Terry Compton.

Screenshot_2020-05-17-18-56-37.png

13 minutes ago, redysteadygo1 said:

Came across this photo on Steve Sutor's Facebook page " Old Football Photographs". Think it must be 1955/56 season after promotion the season before from the old 3rd Division South. We only had to wait another 20 years!

Here's my list ;

Cyril Williams,  Ernie Peacock,. Jackie Bailey,  Alec Eisenstrager,. Mike Thresher,  Jackie White,  Jimmy Rogers,  Arnold Rodgers,  Johnny Watkins,  Ivor Guy,  Bob Anderson,  John Atyeo,  Tony Cook and  Terry Compton.

I saw John Atyeo and Tony Cook play (when I was very young), and I saw Johnny Watkins play cricket for Stoke Bishop!

I can remember John Atyeo, Mike Thresher and Tony Cook playing for City. There may be others in the picture I saw play,  but can’t remember. For some obscure reason I can recall Tony Cook saying he  was retiring  from playing part time Western League football after leaving City because he was fed up with the cold showers! As he subsequently played a few matches in the Downs League he must have overcome his dislike of cold water 

It's easier to list those who I do not recall seeing them play. Although, I may have done for the Reserves.

M Smith / Knight / Rawlings / Wilshire / Nelson / Woodfield.

All the others seen in the first team. Syd Morgan was in goal at my first game on 7 April 1950. And I even saw him and Ginger Peacock playing cricket for Southville Wayfarers. And Ginger after he retired when he came into the insurance company that I worked at in Broad Street.

Tony Cook lived a couple of streets away in Filton.

There is reference to the first match back in Division Two against Swansea Town and I was there.

Missing from the photo is Tommy Burden who worked at Clark's Shoes in Street and trained part time.

25 minutes ago, cidered abroad said:

It's easier to list those who I do not recall seeing them play. Although, I may have done for the Reserves.

M Smith / Knight / Rawlings / Wilshire / Nelson / Woodfield.

All the others seen in the first team. Syd Morgan was in goal at my first game on 7 April 1950. And I even saw him and Ginger Peacock playing cricket for Southville Wayfarers. And Ginger after he retired when he came into the insurance company that I worked at in Broad Street.

Tony Cook lived a couple of streets away in Filton.

There is reference to the first match back in Division Two against Swansea Town and I was there.

Missing from the photo is Tommy Burden who worked at Clark's Shoes in Street and trained part time.

Nat West?

4 hours ago, pongo88 said:

I can remember John Atyeo, Mike Thresher and Tony Cook playing for City. There may be others in the picture I saw play,  but can’t remember. For some obscure reason I can recall Tony Cook saying he  was retiring  from playing part time Western League football after leaving City because he was fed up with the cold showers! As he subsequently played a few matches in the Downs League he must have overcome his dislike of cold water 

I will ask my auntie if that is true about the cold showers (he was her uncle).

As a youngster in my early teens, I had to be taken to the chiropodists just below the Rex cinema. As I awaited my turn, the previous patient came out and it was Ernie "Ginger" Peacock, who, seeing the look on my face, smiled at me. Ginger Peacock was my favourite City player at the time, after the incomparable John Atyeo of course and he had smiled at me!

When I told the chiropodist this, he said that he was under contract to deal with all the City players'' feet. Wow, I was having my feet dealt with by the Chiropodist to the Stars

1 hour ago, jayjay said:

As a youngster in my early teens, I had to be taken to the chiropodists just below the Rex cinema. As I awaited my turn, the previous patient came out and it was Ernie "Ginger" Peacock, who, seeing the look on my face, smiled at me. Ginger Peacock was my favourite City player at the time, after the incomparable John Atyeo of course and he had smiled at me!

When I told the chiropodist this, he said that he was under contract to deal with all the City players'' feet. Wow, I was having my feet dealt with by the Chiropodist to the Stars

But did it make you play any better ?

1955/56 was the year i first started following City, so i remember seeing.

Cyril Williams,  Ernie Peacock,. Jackie Bailey, ,. Mike Thresher,  Jackie White,  Jimmy Rogers,  Arnold Rodgers,  Johnny Watkins,  Ivor Guy,  Bob Anderson,  John Atyeo,  Tony Cook, Terry Compton. Michlewright and D Regan.

Alec Eisenstrager and Dick Steel i played with when playing for Clevedon Town.

2 hours ago, jayjay said:

1 hour ago, BigTone said:

But did it make you play any better ?

I had my knee treated by City physio Les Bardsley. It didn’t improve my football skills but that was probably because he didn’t use his magic sponge 

5 hours ago, cidered abroad said:

I don't understand. If you mean Nat West in Broad Street, no.

NFU MUTUAL Insurance.

Yes, I did mean NW in Broad St as I used to maintain their telephone systems. I also maintained NFU but that was when they were in the building behind the bus station.

1 hour ago, pongo88 said:

I had my knee treated by City physio Les Bardsley. It didn’t improve my football skills but that was probably because he didn’t use his magic sponge 

Met Les and his wife at my local in Shaldon a few years ago. A truly lovely couple. 

My only disappointment was my own performance - you know when someone looks really familiar and you can’t quite put a name to the person? Well we got talking about City - think I was wearing some form of City t shirt which he had spotted - he had (unsurprisingly) a detailed knowledge of City history, managers and players. Every story I came out with to try and impress him he trumped by a factor of 5!

Wasn't until a couple of days later the penny dropped and I realised who I was speaking to.

A true gent, humble and warm. 

Shame on me! 

Ohhh...Memory Lane :-).  I was a 16 year-old teenager in 1955 and I remember every one of them......and I do have to admit that I have much clearer and happier memories of all of them than I have of many of the players who have passed through Ashton Gate over the past 65 years.  Thanks for the memories !

8 hours ago, jayjay said:

That's quite a feat.

5 hours ago, Shireman said:

Ohhh...Memory Lane :-).  I was a 16 year-old teenager in 1955 and I remember every one of them......and I do have to admit that I have much clearer and happier memories of all of them than I have of many of the players who have passed through Ashton Gate over the past 65 years.  Thanks for the memories !

Likewise. For me it was a great time. Twelve years of age when we were still boys, wearing short trousers.

On 17/05/2020 at 19:45, redysteadygo1 said:

Here's my list ;

Thresher Atyeo an Tony cook

On 17/05/2020 at 19:45, redysteadygo1 said:

Here's my list ;

Watched all those plus Dennis Roberts, Captain and he finished in 1954.

Archived