IGNORED

Lycra Clad Cycling Menace

Markman

Oooh - these cyclist drive me mad - especially down here on the Levels- ignorant, arrogant and think they rule the world - is it only me?

I do not mean normal people cycling I mean the enthusiasts with Cameras on their heads etc

The other day I had to deliver medicines to my dear old Mum - wide road - there is a bend but it has perfect visibility ahead and around the corner

I was not exceeding the speed limit - I did not leave my side of the road (quite wide) and I had a cyclist in front who I accelerated safely around 

I looked back and saw them "gesturing" and so I replied in kind 

Today I get a letter saying that someone has been sent footage of my dangerous impolite driving and they consider it falls short of standards expected

It was safe, legal and the cyclist was the one abusing me - GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

3 hours ago, Markman said:

Oooh - these cyclist drive me mad - especially down here on the Levels- ignorant, arrogant and think they rule the world - is it only me?

I do not mean normal people cycling I mean the enthusiasts with Cameras on their heads etc

The other day I had to deliver medicines to my dear old Mum - wide road - there is a bend but it has perfect visibility ahead and around the corner

I was not exceeding the speed limit - I did not leave my side of the road (quite wide) and I had a cyclist in front who I accelerated safely around 

I looked back and saw them "gesturing" and so I replied in kind 

Today I get a letter saying that someone has been sent footage of my dangerous impolite driving and they consider it falls short of standards expected

It was safe, legal and the cyclist was the one abusing me - GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

Are you sure this isn't the point?  When overtaking a cyclist you should give them the same room you would car in case they fall.  This generally means going fully into the next (oncoming) lane.  If you can't see enough to do that you should wait until you can?

41 minutes ago, Nibor said:

Are you sure this isn't the point?  When overtaking a cyclist you should give them the same room you would car in case they fall.  This generally means going fully into the next (oncoming) lane.  If you can't see enough to do that you should wait until you can?

he had loads of space it is the only wide road in the area - sadly many riders down here or that ride down here look for issues - it annoys me as I don't even get the chance to explain that visibility and space was fine

I cycle as well as drive and will be the first to admit there are idiot cyclists just like there are idiot drivers.

Generally, the more expensive the get-up they are wearing the bigger entitled bellends they are.

Do give us as much space as you can though, especially on droves. It isn't always possible to pull over, which is what I prefer to do if I have a motor vehicle up my ass.

If you see a beardy bloke cycling in t-shirt and jeans (too big for Lycra) on the Moors give us a cheery wave and I'll give 'ee one back. I cycle to escape stress, not to create it.

58 minutes ago, Red-Robbo said:

I cycle as well as drive and will be the first to admit there are idiot cyclists just like there are idiot drivers.

Generally, the more expensive the get-up they are wearing the bigger entitled bellends they are.

Do give us as much space as you can though, especially on droves. It isn't always possible to pull over, which is what I prefer to do if I have a motor vehicle up my ass.

If you see a beardy bloke cycling in t-shirt and jeans (too big for Lycra) on the Moors give us a cheery wave and I'll give 'ee one back. I cycle to escape stress, not to create it.

:laugh: - I will - I do ride a bike myself (t shirt and jeans no Lycra) and likewise on the droves and lanes if I have a car behind or approaching I just pull over and let them through - many of the semi-professionals just wont move at all and just stay in the way, I am not sure if it is pig-headiness or they are "timing themselves" and cannot stop for fear of not breaking their private time records

I enjoy cycling myself but unless you’re a pro cyclist what is the point of wearing Lycra to shave off a second or two from your times! I just usually wear one of my collection of City shirts and football shorts as I do get fairly sweaty with any form of exercise.

48 minutes ago, Ronnie Sinclair said:

I can just hear John Peel saying "and now a new release from 'Lycra Clad Cycling Menace"

I think I had better patent this - my once every 5 years attempt at music came back last year as Lenin and the Bolsheviks (not my decision - just the name of the band given by the gaffer) I shall suggest the LCCM for our next get together. 

59 minutes ago, grifty said:

Whats the rules when you get two of them cycling alongside each other taking up the whole lane just having a chat going pretty slowly?

You pull fully into the oncoming/next lane to overtake them when it is safe, like you should be anyway when there's only one?

Drivers shouldn't be trying to squeeze past cyclists at all, and cyclists shouldn't be sneaking up on the left hand side of stopped traffic.

43 minutes ago, Nibor said:

You pull fully into the oncoming/next lane to overtake them when it is safe, like you should be anyway when there's only one?

Drivers shouldn't be trying to squeeze past cyclists at all, and cyclists shouldn't be sneaking up on the left hand side of stopped traffic.

Ah so I can't side swipe the one on the outside to assert my dominance on the road?

No wonder he was so mad!

I don't mind the ones in Lycra who go 20-30mph as I quite enjoy pretending to be like a support car from the Tour de France.

The ones that are clearly not paying attention and swerving across the road to avoid a pothole or because they aren't going quick enough are a menace.

1 hour ago, Nibor said:

Equally cyclists should not ride and cause an obstruction - if they are riding slowly two abreast on single lanes they should be alert to other traffic and let cars etc past - sadly on the levels they feel they are omnipotent and will just hold others up for ages ignoring options and chances to kindly move out of the way (as I do when I ride) - really they are more ignorant than any other road user that I encounter on the levels

1 minute ago, Markman said:

Equally cyclists should not ride and cause an obstruction - if they are riding slowly two abreast on single lanes they should be alert to other traffic and let cars etc past - sadly on the levels they feel they are omnipotent and will just hold others up for ages ignoring options and chances to kindly move out of the way (as I do when I ride) - really they are more ignorant than any other road user that I encounter on the levels

Cyclists riding two abreast in a single lane aren't causing an obstruction unless you're trying to squeeze past them without pulling fully into the next lane.

12 minutes ago, Nibor said:

Cyclists riding two abreast in a single lane aren't causing an obstruction unless you're trying to squeeze past them without pulling fully into the next lane.

if they are riding appox 10 mph on a single lane with clear vision with a limit of 30mph - must normal people would move into a gateway and let people past in cars - these idiots just carry on for miles clearly causing an obstruction and showing no road sense at all - they are idiots frankly - it would be easier to defend Cummings than these selfish people

2 hours ago, grifty said:

Whats the rules when you get two of them cycling alongside each other taking up the whole lane just having a chat going pretty slowly?

Bump them a few times to tell them to get a move on....

5 minutes ago, Markman said:

if they are riding appox 10 mph on a single lane with clear vision with a limit of 30mph - must normal people would move into a gateway and let people past in cars - these idiots just carry on for miles clearly causing an obstruction and showing no road sense at all - they are idiots frankly - it would be easier to defend Cummings than these selfish people

It would be courteous of them to pull in just like a farmer driving a tractor might on a single lane road, but if you squeeze past them you're in the wrong - no two ways about it you cannot put other people in danger just to save a minute.

3 minutes ago, Nibor said:

It would be courteous of them to pull in just like a farmer driving a tractor might on a single lane road, but if you squeeze past them you're in the wrong - no two ways about it you cannot put other people in danger just to save a minute.

not a question of courtesy - they act like idiots down here and they are inconsiderate road users showing no sense or common decency  - I perfectly understand why some drivers wish to squeeze past them when many act as selfishly as this, I think it is called using your "instinct" - when I patent my cycling snow shovel attachment I shall just press a button and shove them in the rhyne

6 minutes ago, Markman said:

not a question of courtesy - they act like idiots down here and they are inconsiderate road users showing no sense or common decency  - I perfectly understand why some drivers wish to squeeze past them when many act as selfishly as this, I think it is called using your "instinct" - when I patent my cycling snow shovel attachment I shall just press a button and shove them in the rhyne

You seem to think that because you can go faster in a car other people must get out of your way or suffer you putting them at risk.  You are entirely wrong and if that really is your attitude (I hope you're not serious) I'm afraid it is you that is the menace.  As angry as it might make you, cyclists have every right to be on the road pootling along at whatever speed they like, and you do not have the right to squeeze past them unsafely because you want to go faster. 

I will never understand why some people are so impatient when it comes to cyclists, i was hit off my bike last year by a van, the **** left me on the side of the road and drive off, hopefully he will go to prison and he will have time to reflect on weather that 10 secs he saved on his journey was worth it. I also love it when i get told i don’t pay road tax..... i find that argument particularly entertaining to watch how angry people get!!

friday i was stopped at a red traffic light to go under backwell station and couldnt believe a woman and 2 very young children passed me on the inside and cycled straight through. it is barely wide enough for buses to get through the single lane under there, sheer lunacy

On 28/05/2020 at 14:15, Nibor said:

Rule 66 needs to be adhered to by all cyclists. It is quite clear regarding both busy and narrow roads.

Archived