IGNORED

Lycra Clad Cycling Menace

Markman

On 28/05/2020 at 22:19, Rob k said:

I will never understand why some people are so impatient when it comes to cyclists, i was hit off my bike last year by a van, the **** left me on the side of the road and drive off, hopefully he will go to prison and he will have time to reflect on weather that 10 secs he saved on his journey was worth it. I also love it when i get told i don’t pay road tax..... i find that argument particularly entertaining to watch how angry people get!!

And yet it works 2 ways. I was on York Way in Camden when a lady came out of a shop, stopped and looked up the correct direction of a one way street to see what was coming and was hit by a cyclist riding the wrong way. She suffered multiple fractures and said cyclist was happy to just cycle off. That was until myself and 2 others apprehended him so he could explain his actions to the police. The appalling thing was he thought he was in the right and gave not a toss about his victim.

On 28/05/2020 at 16:11, Nibor said:

You seem to think that because you can go faster in a car other people must get out of your way or suffer you putting them at risk.  You are entirely wrong and if that really is your attitude (I hope you're not serious) I'm afraid it is you that is the menace.  As angry as it might make you, cyclists have every right to be on the road pootling along at whatever speed they like, and you do not have the right to squeeze past them unsafely because you want to go faster. 

Not really what he said now was it

13 minutes ago, BigTone said:

Rule 66 needs to be adhered to by all cyclists. It is quite clear regarding both busy and narrow roads.

If there isn't enough room for one car to pass another, there isn't enough room to safely overtake a cyclist.  Try reading the rest of the rules in particular 212 and 163.

5 minutes ago, BigTone said:

Not really what he said now was it

Well, it was really.

9 minutes ago, Nibor said:

If there isn't enough room for one car to pass another, there isn't enough room to safely overtake a cyclist.  Try reading the rest of the rules in particular 212 and 163.

Well, it was really.

I have and it wasn't.

10 minutes ago, Nibor said:

So are you agreeing with that on a single lane road where there isn't enough room for two cars to pass it's ok for a driver to try and squeeze past a cyclist?

As you are well aware I never said that. Rule 66 gives guidelines that are quite clear. Let's not try and distort the rules in a Dominic Cummings manner.

3 minutes ago, BigTone said:

As you are well aware I never said that. Rule 66 gives guidelines that are quite clear. Let's not try and distort the rules in a Dominic Cummings manner.

Well you seem to be trying to have an argument about what I'm saying which is the exact opposite of that.

If you're not willing to answer the question I would suggest you read the posts again and figure out what it is you're disagreeing with.

In particular the first post that I responded to where it says "I did not leave my side of the road".

2 minutes ago, Nibor said:

Well you seem to be trying to have an argument about what I'm saying which is the exact opposite of that.

If you're not willing to answer the question I would suggest you read the posts again and figure out what it is you're disagreeing with.

In particular the first post that I responded to where it says "I did not leave my side of the road".

I understand exactly the argument and the previous posts and have answered accordingly.  On a road as narrow as you suggest cyclists should be single file. With all due respect you know this to be the case.

Just now, BigTone said:

I understand exactly the argument and the previous posts and have answered accordingly.  On a road as narrow as you suggest cyclists should be single file. With all due respect you know this to be the case.

The purpose of that is not to allow idiot drivers to dangerously overtake you, it is to prevent cyclists from having to manouevre to allow oncoming traffic to pass.

What exactly is it that I have posted you disagree with? 

10 minutes ago, Nibor said:

The purpose of that is not to allow idiot drivers to dangerously overtake you, it is to prevent cyclists from having to manouevre to allow oncoming traffic to pass.

What exactly is it that I have posted you disagree with? 

Nibor, please read your own posts. I have simply stated that there is a rule / protocol to how cyclists should behave. It is you in disagreement, not me !!  I don't make the rules, I just abide by them as should everyone else. As a qualified driver I would never put a cyclist (or anyone else) in any kind of danger and they too should reciprocate the courtesy. Regrettably many seem to think the world revolves around them and stuff everyone else.

Let's remember the idiot who hit and killed a woman in Shoreditch on his bike. His defence was " I didn't realise it was a requirement to have brakes on a bike". Was he for real ? Would you drive your car in that condition. My point (as an earlier post pointed out) is that this is very much a 2 way street (pardon the pun). Why is it then that cyclists are so defensive and think that our roads owe them more than anyone else. Their attitude and with respect yours points to this being the case. 

1 minute ago, BigTone said:

Nibor, please read your own posts. I have simply stated that there is a rule / protocol to how cyclists should behave. It is you in disagreement, not me !!  I don't make the rules, I just abide by them as should everyone else. As a qualified driver I would put a cyclist in any kind of danger and they too should reciprocate the courtesy. Regrettably many seem to think the world revolves around them and stuff everyone else.

The most likely reason that the cyclist mentioned by the original poster was angry was because there was nowhere near as much room as the driver thought.  It's indicated by the idea that it's ok to overtake a cyclist without leaving a lane.  That is always unsafe and it's done all the time. 

The reason I responded was to point that out because many drivers do not seem to know that this is unsafe because they don't consider what happens if the startled cyclist falls off.  There was no rule breaking on the part of the cyclist there nor did I advocate any.  I'm really left bemused about what your point was but I'll leave it there.

3 minutes ago, Nibor said:

The most likely reason that the cyclist mentioned by the original poster was angry was because there was nowhere near as much room as the driver thought.  It's indicated by the idea that it's ok to overtake a cyclist without leaving a lane.  That is always unsafe and it's done all the time. 

The reason I responded was to point that out because many drivers do not seem to know that this is unsafe because they don't consider what happens if the startled cyclist falls off.  There was no rule breaking on the part of the cyclist there nor did I advocate any.  I'm really left bemused about what your point was but I'll leave it there.

My point is that cyclists do not always understand what is safe. Maybe there is a lot to be gained by them taking a proficiency test  getting a road worthy cert for their bikes and obtaining a licence to ride. Road tax and 3rd party insurance should maybe considered also.

7 minutes ago, BigTone said:

My point is that cyclists do not always understand what is safe. Maybe there is a lot to be gained by them taking a proficiency test  getting a road worthy cert for their bikes and obtaining a licence to ride. Road tax and 3rd party insurance should maybe considered also.

Nibor, with all due respect why any of this leaves you confused is frankly beyond belief. It is a 2 way street for all.

4 minutes ago, BigTone said:

Nibor, with all due respect why any of this leaves you confused is frankly beyond belief.

I'm confused why you've now done a 180 from violent agreement that the cyclist in this case was in the right and the driver in the wrong to thinking that cyclists should be taxed, insured and MOTed as though they were somehow equally responsible for accidents, deaths and road maintenance.  It's a very confusing change of position, and what it really says is that your motive all along was perhaps a bit different.

It's a bollocks idea btw as it will solve nothing, because the root of it is a false equivalency.

9 minutes ago, Nibor said:

I'm confused why you've now done a 180 from violent agreement that the cyclist in this case was in the right and the driver in the wrong to thinking that cyclists should be taxed, insured and MOTed as though they were somehow equally responsible for accidents, deaths and road maintenance.  It's a very confusing change of position, and what it really says is that your motive all along was perhaps a bit different.

It's a bollocks idea btw as it will solve nothing, because the root of it is a false equivalency.

I've not changed my position at all if you read what I've said.  You however, seem to want your cake and eat it.

Just now, BigTone said:

I've not changed my position at all if you read what I've. You however, let's let others decide

My point remains the same as it has been all the way along.

Don't overtake a cyclist unless you can pull fully into the next lane.

Christ alone knows what yours is.

11 minutes ago, Nibor said:

Mine is simply that is not always motorists who are in the wrong. You seem incapable of understanding this but hey ho we all have different opinions.

4 hours ago, BigTone said:

And yet it works 2 ways. I was on York Way in Camden when a lady came out of a shop, stopped and looked up the correct direction of a one way street to see what was coming and was hit by a cyclist riding the wrong way. She suffered multiple fractures and said cyclist was happy to just cycle off. That was until myself and 2 others apprehended him so he could explain his actions to the police. The appalling thing was he thought he was in the right and gave not a toss about his victim.

Without doubt 

3 hours ago, Nibor said:

You are missing the point entirely - it is quite funny - you do not know the road and you do not know how much space I left him - there was a clear car width of space - this is a weird old country road with a few bends but on the LEVELS and it is very flat and vision is perfect for a long way - I was easily able to pass him with more than cars width and STAY on my side of the road. You automatically put your own views and assumptions into my first comment and you continue to argue them most irately (accusing me of being a menace when I use some levity about a snow shovel) and assume I did everything wrong when my point was I did nothing wrong but down here many cyclists are totally unreasonable - that is a fact.

Try not to put your own assumptions into an argument without knowing the facts  - that is why I have laughed at some of your reactions as they are funny as you are getting quite hoity abut something where you are clearly mistaken 

someone mentioned the ones wobbling up hills at snails pace. try the bends at the foot of naish hill,you do 20mph into a blind bend to meet an almost a stationary obstruction in the road.there are a lot of very proficient cyclists out there but there are also a fair few complete and utter bell ends. i do take precautions there now because i know what could be round the corner but not everyone would expect that

What I don't get is the level of animosity shown to cyclists in this country. Just appears to be something else for this unhappy nation to get angry about.

I ride in France, Mainland Spain, Mallorca , Italy, Holland and the US, rarely an issue, motorists are courteous and frequently encouraging. I actually feel safer riding around Manhatten and Brooklyn than the back lanes of Glos and Wiltshire, where quite frankly some people genuinely try and run you off the road. I would point out that I take any opportunity to let cars pass on these lanes as I don't like them up my ass any more than they do. However on a road bike if you pull over and brake in a gravel/muddy/rutted area, you're off, as can often be the case with the potholes than some idiot moaned at us for avoiding earlier in this thread.Similarly with the complaint about us going slowly uphills. Most of us will be clipped into our pedals and if we stop it's near impossible to clip back in on a steep gradient. Believe me we'd often like to.

As for the lycra etc, well couldn't agree more. Completely ridiculous to wear appropriate kit for the sport you're involved in, which is why in my footballing days I'd just wear jeans and flip flops rather than the team kit. Dead embarrassing when everyone turns up in the same outfit.

Totally agree that cyclists can be their own worst enemies and when I'm driving I can get irritated by their behaviour but I'm trying to explain that there's an explanation for some of the riding that winds you up. Likewise I think most of us realise that if things turn nasty we lose so it's not in our best interest to annoy people. On the flip side you make an error of judgement catch my bike and drag me under your wheel , you're in deep shit, so it's in bot'h our interests you remain patient.

'

• Admin

I had that urge to nudge a couple of them into the rhynes going across Claverham moor on Saturday - self important idiots.  I saw three horse riders, I slowed and acknowledged them as I always do, a smile back and a thank you, especially as I stopped for one young horse that was a little skittish, never once had a nod of acknowledgement or a thanks from the multitude of cyclists I made way for or got trapped behind.

I drive, ride a motorbike and a pushbike, but I wouldn't dream of meandering down a narrow country road two abreast.......

On 03/06/2020 at 20:58, Maesknoll Red said:

I had that urge to nudge a couple of them into the rhynes going across Claverham moor on Saturday - self important idiots.  I saw three horse riders, I slowed and acknowledged them as I always do, a smile back and a thank you, especially as I stopped for one young horse that was a little skittish, never once had a nod of acknowledgement or a thanks from the multitude of cyclists I made way for or got trapped behind.

I drive, ride a motorbike and a pushbike, but I wouldn't dream of meandering down a narrow country road two abreast.......

Same here mate, I have retractable knives fitted to my Lamborghini and shred their tyre as I pass. Seriously, I have built up a hatred of the lycra brigade down here and yet riding my mod vespa I get nothing but respect from car drivers. So, cyclists, just fit 10 mirrors and 8 spotlights and you'll be fine.

11 hours ago, oldstandrobin said:

Same here mate, I have retractable knives fitted to my Lamborghini and shred their tyre as I pass. Seriously, I have built up a hatred of the lycra brigade down here and yet riding my mod vespa I get nothing but respect from car drivers. So, cyclists, just fit 10 mirrors and 8 spotlights and you'll be fine.

Let your anger go - you will feel better for it!!

On 02/06/2020 at 10:03, reddoc said:

On the flip side you make an error of judgement catch my bike and drag me under your wheel , you're in deep shit, so it's in bot'h our interests you remain patient.

'

Just hope I don't damage a tyre really.

Archived