IGNORED

Lycra Clad Cycling Menace

Markman

On 17/06/2020 at 18:11, BigTone said:

No you won't. Carry on as you are and rid the world of this menace.

Did a trip on Saturday, to Shepton Mallet. On return did Glasto, Wells then over moors to Meare then Highbridge. Every ******* 5 minutes came across slow traffic all trying to get past lycra pants, they were out in force, two abreast on these roads is bloody dangerous but they still do it, even worse when they come towards you slap bang in middle of the road

I walked halfway along the pill cyclepath saturday, mid morning.

When the lyrca people had to slow for me, they take it really personaly dont they.

Some even make noises, tutting etc.

Its a shared path, if they get like that go on the other side, under the bridge and cycle.

Nobody once in normal atire, acted surly when they had to slow down, most offered a smile.

happened 4 times.

What is wrong with them?

Is there any other road user apart from the lycra clad mob that use the roads purely for pleasure without any need to get anywhere?

Strikes me as a very selfish exercise choice when they could quite easily make a slightly different bike choice and go off-road, as most of the people I know that are into their cycling do.

There should most definitely be an insurance requirement for people riding on the roads.

1 hour ago, richwwtk said:

Is there any other road user apart from the lycra clad mob that use the roads purely for pleasure without any need to get anywhere?

Strikes me as a very selfish exercise choice when they could quite easily make a slightly different bike choice and go off-road, as most of the people I know that are into their cycling do.

There should most definitely be an insurance requirement for people riding on the roads.

Tbh I would actually say bikes need small registration plates on the back as well, make a short course in cycling on the roads a requirement after passing which you get a plate. Not to punish cyclists etc but we're talking about safety on roads and everyone should be educated regardless of transportation method. cyclists can also cause accidents which means people can grab license plate numbers same way as cars if they do just try and leave the scene. Also I've seen plenty of cyclists go through red lights which would be unpunished as well.

I almost killed one of the ********* on a very foggy B road in North Cornwall this morning. I`m indicating and turning right when this bellend comes rocketing out of the fog, all dressed in black, and with no lights. I just managed to stop in time fortunately but guess who`s fault it would have been if I hit him?

12 minutes ago, Lanterne Rouge said:

I almost killed one of the ********* on a very foggy B road in North Cornwall this morning. I`m indicating and turning right when this bellend comes rocketing out of the fog, all dressed in black, and with no lights. I just managed to stop in time fortunately but guess who`s fault it would have been if I hit him?

Trouble is LR this weather brings the ****ing idiots out en masse. Bridge near me with traffic lights and cycle lane either side. Lights were Red, idiot just carried on over the hump back bridge, anything coming other way would have crushed him.

I'd ask the people on here complaining about cyclists how often do you see another car driver do something stupid? Not indicate. Cut you up. Pull out in front of you. Speed. Undertake. Overtake. The list goes on. I would say some incident happens pretty much every time I drive my car.

And how often are slowed down by a cyclist? Once a week, once a month? And you're frustrated because they've slowed you down for all of 10 seconds by trying to cycle safely and visibly in the road (which they are equally entitled to be on)? How often are you endangered in your car by a cyclist? Once a year, once ever, never?

I'd ask myself more who are the bigger menaces on the road? Of course there are idiot cyclists (who are no doubt also idiot drivers), but let's keep it in perspective here.

If you live in an area popular with cyclists, you're most likely in the countryside, so need to rag it around as the roads aren't safe for that in a car anyway. Just wait, 9 times out of 10 you'll be held up for less than a minute. 

Seems it still comes down to a, sorry, but ignorant, attitude from some still, that cyclists should not be on the roads, are less important and that 'your' time is more valuable than their safety.

For the record, cycling 2 abreast is not against the law. It is in fact encouraged as it makes cyclists more visible. And given it IS the law to pass a car widths apart, 1 or 2 cyclists make no difference to safely passing.

2 hours ago, Alessandro said:

I'd ask the people on here complaining about cyclists how often do you see another car driver do something stupid? Not indicate. Cut you up. Pull out in front of you. Speed. Undertake. Overtake. The list goes on. I would say some incident happens pretty much every time I drive my car.

And how often are slowed down by a cyclist? Once a week, once a month? And you're frustrated because they've slowed you down for all of 10 seconds by trying to cycle safely and visibly in the road (which they are equally entitled to be on)? How often are you endangered in your car by a cyclist? Once a year, once ever, never?

I'd ask myself more who are the bigger menaces on the road? Of course there are idiot cyclists (who are no doubt also idiot drivers), but let's keep it in perspective here.

If you live in an area popular with cyclists, you're most likely in the countryside, so need to rag it around as the roads aren't safe for that in a car anyway. Just wait, 9 times out of 10 you'll be held up for less than a minute. 

Seems it still comes down to a, sorry, but ignorant, attitude from some still, that cyclists should not be on the roads, are less important and that 'your' time is more valuable than their safety.

For the record, cycling 2 abreast is not against the law. It is in fact encouraged as it makes cyclists more visible. And given it IS the law to pass a car widths apart, 1 or 2 cyclists make no difference to safely passing.

So what`s your take on a cyclist travelling at breakneck speed on a foggy narrow road dressed in black and with no lights?

32 minutes ago, Lanterne Rouge said:

So what`s your take on a cyclist travelling at breakneck speed on a foggy narrow road dressed in black and with no lights?

Well as I said, there are idiot cyclists just as there are idiot drivers. Of course, high vis or at least lighting should be used.

I have no idea about your specific incident however, or your recollection of that incident.

But firstly I'd ask you to define "breakneck speed" or "rocketing"? Bear in mind whatever your perceived guess of what that speed was, it was more than likely slower than a car would be coming at you than the cyclist was. So given as you've already stated, it was foggy, I'd expect you, as a responsible safe driver to be driving according to the conditions.

You also stated it was a narrow road, so i'd imagine if you were intending on crossing it, you'd be extra vigilant.

A car may have lights, but if it was that foggy, even they may be difficult to see approaching - so i'd imagine if you'd pulled out in front of a car, the greater speed on a narrow road as you say, may have caused an accident. 

Either way, i'm not sure what your point is - you didn't hit him and you saw him, right? So are you annoyed that you didn't see them earlier or that had you gone for a dangerous manoeuvre across the road in fog, you would have hit them on their side of the road, therefore making what they were wearing irrelevant regardless. 

23 minutes ago, Alessandro said:

Well as I said, there are idiot cyclists just as there are idiot drivers. Of course, high vis or at least lighting should be used.

I have no idea about your specific incident however, or your recollection of that incident.

But firstly I'd ask you to define "breakneck speed" or "rocketing"? Bear in mind whatever your perceived guess of what that speed was, it was more than likely slower than a car would be coming at you than the cyclist was. So given as you've already stated, it was foggy, I'd expect you, as a responsible safe driver to be driving according to the conditions.

You also stated it was a narrow road, so i'd imagine if you were intending on crossing it, you'd be extra vigilant.

A car may have lights, but if it was that foggy, even they may be difficult to see approaching - so i'd imagine if you'd pulled out in front of a car, the greater speed on a narrow road as you say, may have caused an accident. 

Either way, i'm not sure what your point is - you didn't hit him and you saw him, right? So are you annoyed that you didn't see them earlier or that had you gone for a dangerous manoeuvre across the road in fog, you would have hit them on their side of the road, therefore making what they were wearing irrelevant regardless. 

I was stopped and indicating right (even though there was no traffic) and the road, although a B road was two lane with a white line in the middle. He was on a flat road, on a racing bike hunched down over the handlebars so I would estimate he was doing 20-30mph.

My point is that, if I had hit (and possibly killed) him it would be my fault in the eyes of the law (and something I would have to live with for the rest of my life) and not down to his rank stupidity and inconsiderate behaviour towards other road users.

I returned from holiday in North Cornwall this morning and can confirm that the Fog/Mist was very dense. I'm a cyclist and anyone without lights and visible clothing would have been mad, in those conditions. Waring black is asking for trouble in any conditions!!

12 hours ago, Lanterne Rouge said:

I was stopped and indicating right (even though there was no traffic) and the road, although a B road was two lane with a white line in the middle. He was on a flat road, on a racing bike hunched down over the handlebars so I would estimate he was doing 20-30mph.

My point is that, if I had hit (and possibly killed) him it would be my fault in the eyes of the law (and something I would have to live with for the rest of my life) and not down to his rank stupidity and inconsiderate behaviour towards other road users.

I think bike owners should be made to pay some kind of road tax and if you have a “sports bike” that is capable of you gong 30 miles an hour then you should wear adequate protective gear or get fined if you are not wearing it. Third party insurance is something else that should be considered.

On 22/06/2020 at 19:21, Oh Louie louie said:

I walked halfway along the pill cyclepath saturday, mid morning.

When the lyrca people had to slow for me, they take it really personaly dont they.

Some even make noises, tutting etc.

Its a shared path, if they get like that go on the other side, under the bridge and cycle.

Nobody once in normal atire, acted surly when they had to slow down, most offered a smile.

happened 4 times.

What is wrong with them?

Throw some little tack nails around. Punctures will slow em down. ?

15 hours ago, City oz said:

I think bike owners should be made to pay some kind of road tax and if you have a “sports bike” that is capable of you gong 30 miles an hour then you should wear adequate protective gear or get fined if you are not wearing it. Third party insurance is something else that should be considered.

I agree (I am a cyclist by the way) bike owners should have insurance and it should be compulsory. But if I were to be made to pay road tax which of course we don't have, the roads better damn well be fit for purpose when riding a bike on them... of course they are not and can be a death trap.  

Now if that road duty went to making proper cycle lanes.. not the effing gutter on a main road, but proper cycle lane with kerbs stopping cars going anywhere near it, then again yes i would be willing to pay.. and i think it probably should be added to the purchase price of the bike rather than a yearly thing to ensure it gets paid.

46 minutes ago, TRL said:

I agree (I am a cyclist by the way) bike owners should have insurance and it should be compulsory. But if I were to be made to pay road tax which of course we don't have, the roads better damn well be fit for purpose when riding a bike on them... of course they are not and can be a death trap.  

Now if that road duty went to making proper cycle lanes.. not the effing gutter on a main road, but proper cycle lane with kerbs stopping cars going anywhere near it, then again yes i would be willing to pay.. and i think it probably should be added to the purchase price of the bike rather than a yearly thing to ensure it gets paid.

And take a test?

45 minutes ago, TRL said:

I love reading these angry motorist threads!! So cross because their journey took a little bit longer! And then the good old ‘road tax’ comment when there is no such thing ???

4 minutes ago, The Dolman Pragmatist said:

And take a test?

Have they stopped that, when i was a nipper it was compulsory and given at school.  That said it proves nothing giving the number of fucktards on the road who have past a driving test :laugh:

5 minutes ago, Rob k said:

I love reading these angry motorist threads!! So cross because their journey took a little bit longer! And then the good old ‘road tax’ comment when there is no such thing ???

Well quite we haven't had road tax for years!  But don't let that get in the way of a good rant :)

1 minute ago, TRL said:

Have they stopped that, when i was a nipper it was compulsory and given at school.  That said it proves nothing giving the number of fucktards on the road who have past a driving test :laugh:

Well quite we haven't had road tax for years!  But don't let that get in the way of a good rant :)

Also, have you been on a designated cycle path recently? You can’t actually cycle on it due the amount of people walking - usually with dogs they have no control over!! I will stick to the road, it’s safer 

4 minutes ago, Rob k said:

Also, have you been on a designated cycle path recently? You can’t actually cycle on it due the amount of people walking - usually with dogs they have no control over!! I will stick to the road, it’s safer 

oh I use them all the time with my gravel Bike.  Dog does less damage than a car! :)  unless it ha you in its jaws.  Most Designaed cycle paths have been turned into dual use for pedestrians as well.

The biggest problem,  as I see it, is, pedestrians, car drivers and bike rides do not understand one another (taking  poor car drivers, poor cyclists and ignorant pedestrians out of the equation) They all think they are right, and comment purely from their own perspective.... Being someone that walks/runs 5-8 miles most days, Drives around  20k a year  and cycles maybe 60-80 miles a week,  most arguments have some validity, but more understanding of each mode of travel is needed by all to appreciate it nuances, unfortunately there ain't nothing like road/cycle lane/pavement rage for boiling someones piss

On 18/05/2020 at 11:35, Markman said:

Oooh - these cyclist drive me mad - especially down here on the Levels- ignorant, arrogant and think they rule the world - is it only me?

I do not mean normal people cycling I mean the enthusiasts with Cameras on their heads etc

The other day I had to deliver medicines to my dear old Mum - wide road - there is a bend but it has perfect visibility ahead and around the corner

I was not exceeding the speed limit - I did not leave my side of the road (quite wide) and I had a cyclist in front who I accelerated safely around 

I looked back and saw them "gesturing" and so I replied in kind 

Today I get a letter saying that someone has been sent footage of my dangerous impolite driving and they consider it falls short of standards expected

It was safe, legal and the cyclist was the one abusing me - GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

I have the same sort of thing but with a horse rider. I overtook her gently on a wide part of a country road and she yelled at me “you ******* moron”........I slammed on the brakes and got out of the car and confronted her. What a bitch!

4 minutes ago, Robbored said:

I have the same sort of thing but with a horse rider. I overtook her gently on a wide part of a country road and she yelled at me “you ******* moron”........I slammed on the brakes and got out of the car and confronted her. What a bitch!

She Must know your reg No Rob! ;)

1 hour ago, TRL said:

To be fair some of the roads aren't fit for a car to use it, with all the bloody potholes over them!! The times I've had to get my tracking done because I've hit a pothole which I've not been able to avoid is stupid!

Just now, Taz said:

To be fair some of the roads aren't fit for a car to use it, with all the bloody potholes over them!! The times I've had to get my tracking done because I've hit a pothole which I've not been able to avoid is stupid!

indeed, me too, punctures and tracking.  For a cyclist its off your bike and potential to be run over, its why bikes tend to be seen weaving leading to road rage incidents where in reality they are trying not to get themselves killed.  Poor reinvestment in the roads, and piss poor contractors re-tarmacing after roadworks is to blame, they should be getting hefty fines for the state the leave the roads in after getting paid to patch them up

Not a cyclist but managed to get annoyed by a different two wheeler instead yesterday, someone had what looked like a motorised scooter (on the basis I didn't see them use their feet at all) on a country lane and was only doing 15 mph, followed by a cyclist so couldn't overtake for a long time.

On 08/08/2020 at 14:14, Alessandro said:

I'm an equal opportunities grump when I am driving. I hate pedestrians, cyclists, cars, buses, lorries, vans, taxis, motorbikes and animals.

If everyone and everything buggered off, I'd be a much happier road user. ;) 

I don't get the hatred, but cyclists seem to be the fashionable target at the moment. If it wasn't them it would be someone else. I'm sure there have been plenty of psychological studies about the human need to to be annoyed/frustrated/dislike something and it has always been there - but the modern media and social media appear to work everyone up into a frenzy. "The Daily Mail says cyclists are a scourge, some guy off Talksport says they're all inconsiderate tax dodgers, Jeremy Clarkson thinks they get in the way of cars - they can't all be wrong, lets jump on the bandwagon...".

There are inconsiderate people using every mode of transport, taking part in all activities, crossing your path every single day - why pick on a specific user group and threaten them with retribution, sometimes violence (how can that ever even just be a joke) and sanctions to keep them out of your sight? You do realise that even if you license, tax and insure every day people, using bicycles for utility or leisure purposes you will still get the annoying minority that don't bother and still ride the wrong way down a one way street, go through red lights, cycle along pavements.

I ride a bike to work every day (in normal shorts), I cycle out in the countryside all day on a weekend sometimes (yes in lycra shorts - its just more comfortable if cycling for a number of hours - you don't go for a run in jeans), I drive a car, I walk with my child and dog along the National Cycle Network. I get the different perspectives and how each can be annoying sometimes, but I don't get how there is such hatred for any single group.

When I do cycle (and this is also true of most other people I know that cycle) I always obey the rules of the road, don't cycle on pavements, ride single file on country roads if someone is struggling to overtake, ring my bell (to warn people I am there, not to tell them to get out of the way - people get much more of a shock if you just appear alongside them) and slow down (ready to stop if necessary) when I come up behind a pedestrian on a cycle path. Why should I and others have to feel such irrational hated. And no, I'm not a snowflake, its water off a ducks back - I just don't get it.

On 06/09/2020 at 20:29, BS2 Red said:

I'm an equal opportunities grump when I am driving. I hate pedestrians, cyclists, cars, buses, lorries, vans, taxis, motorbikes and animals.

If everyone and everything buggered off, I'd be a much happier road user. ;) 

Is it true the Lycra guys riding bikes also shave their legs. I did google it once and they claim it makes them more streamlined and can peddle faster.

1 minute ago, City oz said:

Is it true the Lycra guys riding bikes also shave their legs. I did google it once and they claim it makes them more streamlined and can peddle faster.

Some do, that race (or pretend to race). Its more about their post race massage and being easy to put dressings on/off when they quite regularly crash. No I never have - shaving my face is too much trouble most of the time.

4 hours ago, Middlesbrough Robin said:

I don't get the hatred, but cyclists seem to be the fashionable target at the moment. If it wasn't them it would be someone else. I'm sure there have been plenty of psychological studies about the human need to to be annoyed/frustrated/dislike something and it has always been there - but the modern media and social media appear to work everyone up into a frenzy. "The Daily Mail says cyclists are a scourge, some guy off Talksport says they're all inconsiderate tax dodgers, Jeremy Clarkson thinks they get in the way of cars - they can't all be wrong, lets jump on the bandwagon...".

There are inconsiderate people using every mode of transport, taking part in all activities, crossing your path every single day - why pick on a specific user group and threaten them with retribution, sometimes violence (how can that ever even just be a joke) and sanctions to keep them out of your sight? You do realise that even if you license, tax and insure every day people, using bicycles for utility or leisure purposes you will still get the annoying minority that don't bother and still ride the wrong way down a one way street, go through red lights, cycle along pavements.

I ride a bike to work every day (in normal shorts), I cycle out in the countryside all day on a weekend sometimes (yes in lycra shorts - its just more comfortable if cycling for a number of hours - you don't go for a run in jeans), I drive a car, I walk with my child and dog along the National Cycle Network. I get the different perspectives and how each can be annoying sometimes, but I don't get how there is such hatred for any single group.

When I do cycle (and this is also true of most other people I know that cycle) I always obey the rules of the road, don't cycle on pavements, ride single file on country roads if someone is struggling to overtake, ring my bell (to warn people I am there, not to tell them to get out of the way - people get much more of a shock if you just appear alongside them) and slow down (ready to stop if necessary) when I come up behind a pedestrian on a cycle path. Why should I and others have to feel such irrational hated. And no, I'm not a snowflake, its water off a ducks back - I just don't get it.

Do you wear a Ferrari racing suit when you drive your car ?

The other day here in France I was driving down a one way street when 2 cyclists came in the wrong direction and then ride across a pedestrian crossing directly in front of me. I must admit I offered a few expletives out of the window to get a response from 2 English tourists who made complete knobs out of themselves. Ride your bike where you want, obey the rules of the road, insure yourselves and even pay towards the upkeep of the roads that you all seem to criticise. If you can't do this then just piss off !!

Archived