IGNORED

Lycra Clad Cycling Menace

Markman

1 hour ago, BigTone said:

Do you wear a Ferrari racing suit when you drive your car ?

The other day here in France I was driving down a one way street when 2 cyclists came in the wrong direction and then ride across a pedestrian crossing directly in front of me. I must admit I offered a few expletives out of the window to get a response from 2 English tourists who made complete knobs out of themselves. Ride your bike where you want, obey the rules of the road, insure yourselves and even pay towards the upkeep of the roads that you all seem to criticise. If you can't do this then just piss off !!

There you go, I'm getting told to piss off because of someone's actions in another country now. I ride my bike where it's legal, I'm insured, obey the laws of the road and pay plenty of forms of the taxes that actually pay for the upkeep of the roads, but why let that get in the way of an irrational hatred.

I don't see why what I choose to wear causes such offence. I don't do it for fashion, fanboy reasons or because it might make me look fast. I do it to avoid chafing if you must know. 

17 minutes ago, Middlesbrough Robin said:

There you go, I'm getting told to piss off because of someone's actions in another country now. I ride my bike where it's legal, I'm insured, obey the laws of the road and pay plenty of forms of the taxes that actually pay for the upkeep of the roads, but why let that get in the way of an irrational hatred.

I don't see why what I choose to wear causes such offence. I don't do it for fashion, fanboy reasons or because it might make me look fast. I do it to avoid chafing if you must know. 

I didn't tell you to piss off. If you are doing all you say then quite the opposite applies in my mind. Unfortunately though, the irresponsible outweigh the responsible like yourself.

Still don't understand the lycra bit though. I could always ride my bike in jeans and a t-shirt over a long distance. Each to their own though. 

Never saw the need to dress like Florence Giffith Joyner when I went for a run though. But as I say, each to their own.

45 minutes ago, BigTone said:

I didn't tell you to piss off. If you are doing all you say then quite the opposite applies in my mind. Unfortunately though, the irresponsible outweigh the responsible like yourself.

Fair enough, although you'd probably be surprised about the proportions. Granted there are a small number of absolute idiots that sometimes ride bikes, a fair few who are inconsiderate but harmless (humans eh), but the majority like me you probably wouldn't even notice apart for the rare occasion that you might have to wait more than a couple of seconds to overtake. 

Most British Cycling or Cycling UK memberships include public liability insurance, some people have it on their home insurance and some get separate specific insurance. You will also probably find most people pay general taxation or council tax which covers the cost of road maintenance. If anything I feel that I don't get my money's worth because I cause a lot less damage than your average car and require a lot less capacity to be built. 

Like you say, each to their own on the clothing, but I'd hate to ride in jeans for more than a couple of miles, especially if it rained. 

2 hours ago, BigTone said:

Still don't understand the lycra bit though. I could always ride my bike in jeans and a t-shirt over a long distance. Each to their own though. 

Never saw the need to dress like Florence Giffith Joyner when I went for a run though. But as I say, each to their own.

absolute nonsense that the irresponsible cyclists outweigh the good -

also, go and ride a road bike for 50 miles or so without padding and let us know how your Feeling 

2 hours ago, BigTone said:

If you're playing football, it's apparently acceptable to wear a football kit (even though you're not playing in the World Cup or Premier League).

If you're going for a run, it's apparently acceptable to wear running kit (even though you're not running in the Olympics). 

But for some reason, if a cyclist wants to wear the most appropriate clothing for the activity, then that's wrong? :dunno:

And as mentioned above, it's absolute nonsense to suggest that the majority of cyclists are irresponsible.

Oh and don't get me started on the whole "cyclists don't pay road tax" thing :grr:

Archived