IGNORED

nigel clough leaves burton

I’d expect he must have been on fairly high wages for a club of Burton’s size with him having previously been at Derby. So with the current situation it does make financial sense. I’m sure Clough will get another position at another club in the not too distant future.

1 hour ago, Clevedon_Red said:

That's a surprise. This means there are just 5 managers ahead of LJ in the longest serving ranks. 1) Gareth Ainsworth 2) Eddie Howe 3) Sean Dyche 4) John Coleman 5) Jurgen Klopp.

1 hour ago, Lanterne Rouge said:

Yes, LJ up to third in the EFL behind Ainsworth & Coleman.

The longest serving with no promotions or managerial "honours" (ie, a Champions League win) to his name.

59 minutes ago, Moments of Pleasure said:

The longest serving with no promotions or managerial "honours" (ie, a Champions League win) to his name.

Yes LJ's a lucky man , all the 5 long serving managers have delivered at least one promotion in their careers.

Meanwhile in BS3............

Clough did wonders at Burton and has had to live up to the expectations of having that surname. I would imagine he didn't have too many options regarding his position at Burton and they've let the other two members of his coaching staff go. 

I don't think he'll be out of work for long. 

1 hour ago, gornagain said:

Care to recall the performance Clough was responsible for last time Burton played here?

You’ve got to cut your coat to suit your cloth 

8 hours ago, shelts said:

Always like the lad . Clever player but lacked pace . Decent enough manager 

great player at Forest, I'm pretty sure I wasn't the only one who thought he would be a perfect fit for Liverpool - didn't work out like that and his career seemed to progressively sink deeper with each year. Hard to fathom why as he was such a tidy player with a great football brain. 

As a manager I'm sure we're still to see the best of him.

On 18/05/2020 at 19:44, Fordy62 said:

I’d take Clough. 

Won't move far form the East Midlands. Look at where he's managed (Burton; Derby; Sheffield Utd). He's a family man who likes hos family to stay put. Bristol likely to be to far away for a daily commute.

On 19/05/2020 at 11:20, Midlands Robin said:

Clough did wonders at Burton and has had to live up to the expectations of having that surname. I would imagine he didn't have too many options regarding his position at Burton and they've let the other two members of his coaching staff go. 

I don't think he'll be out of work for long. 

Personally don’t think he’s that good, he did a good job at Burton no doubt but struggled at Derby iirc. Also he’s one of those managers who constantly likes to moan about everything and how his teams are always hard done by and never his sides fault following a defeat.

On 18/05/2020 at 19:29, CodeRed said:

Yes LJ's a lucky man , all the 5 long serving managers have delivered at least one promotion in their careers.

Meanwhile in BS3............

Meanwhile in BS3.... LJ has turned us from near relegation certainties, to consistent play off challengers, in arguably the toughest division in world football, whilst keeping within the restraints of FFP (unlike Howe) and without Premier League revenue/parachute payments. Whilst, at the same time, having his star players sold each season, in order to fund the whole clubs progression, and responded by delivering a higher placed finish, year on year. 

No doubt that Dyche worked wonders in getting Burnley to that position, initially. 

21 hours ago, Bar BS3 said:

Meanwhile in BS3.... LJ has turned us from near relegation certainties, to consistent play off challengers, in arguably the toughest division in world football, whilst keeping within the restraints of FFP (unlike Howe) and without Premier League revenue/parachute payments. Whilst, at the same time, having his star players sold each season, in order to fund the whole clubs progression, and responded by delivering a higher placed finish, year on year. 

No doubt that Dyche worked wonders in getting Burnley to that position, initially. 

That statement doesn't stand up.

1.  We were not relegation certainties when he took over at all. 

2. 'Consistent play off challengers' - not really.  We've flirted with them before but fallen away.  Hopefully things will be different this year.

3.  It's not the toughest league in world football.  That's marketing nonsense.

Basically we've improved from about 20th place to 8th place in an extremely competitve league.  And it's taken 4 years.  In that time we have had some decent players and have been run sensibly and have established ourselves in the Championship.

Archived