IGNORED

Harry's Heroes

Super

That was a great watch, and a great insight into how footballers deal with life after the game.  At times I couldn't stop laughing, like the first night of "training" in the Taj Mahal curry house in the French town, but the incident with Merse and Razor at the end was very emotional. Looking forward to the rest of the series.

7 hours ago, New Dazzler said:

That was a great watch, and a great insight into how footballers deal with life after the game.  At times I couldn't stop laughing, like the first night of "training" in the Taj Mahal curry house in the French town, but the incident with Merse and Razor at the end was very emotional. Looking forward to the rest of the series.

You cant help but like Merse. The guy obviously has his problems.

It was a great, although the nude footballers was a hard watch. Seems like the players that were picked enjoyed a drink not only now but in the past playing days. Makes you wonder that was the reason England never repeated the 66 exploits. Yes the Razor Merc thing was very emotional and very telling on how men ignore the bleedin' obvious. 

Interesting when Michael Owen was asked about that goal at France 98 by Merson and he said that was his peak at 18 and that he couldn’t do what any of the other players could do at 28 as he was shot by then.  I love that goal though, one of my fave World Cup memories, watched the game in the then Bohemia top of Whiteladies, was absolutely packed, an amazing atmosphere, a great summer!

1 hour ago, Super said:

You cant help but like Merse. The guy obviously has his problems.

I have had a fondness for him since the game at Walsall when I think he was Player/Manager? Our crowd tried to take the piss about his alleged cocaine habit when he was taking a corner in front of us. He handled it so well and got a laugh followed by a mutual round of applause. I am so pleased he has got a handle on his issues at the moment, and I think that his own issues clearly influenced his reaction to Razor's attitude. "He's a tomorrow person" was very insightful.

1 hour ago, Tinmans Love Child said:

I love that goal though, one of my fave World Cup memories, watched the game in the then Bohemia top of Whiteladies, was absolutely packed, an amazing atmosphere, a great summer!

That used to be a top boozer - great starting point for a crawl down Whiteladies! 

2 hours ago, Tinmans Love Child said:

Interesting when Michael Owen was asked about that goal at France 98 by Merson and he said that was his peak at 18 and that he couldn’t do what any of the other players could do at 28 as he was shot by then.  I love that goal though, one of my fave World Cup memories, watched the game in the then Bohemia top of Whiteladies, was absolutely packed, an amazing atmosphere, a great summer!

He recently said that he was basically playing with one hamstring when one went I think around the time he moved to Madrid 

2 hours ago, Tinmans Love Child said:

Pretty sure I watched the 5-1 against Germany in there. Is that the one which has about 3 floors?

Merse came across very well, seems to be in a great place now which is good to see. 

Ruddock will never change, and his wife isn't any help going over there and drinking with him. Unfortunately it's his daughters lives he's affecting too. 

Paul Wash, Steve Howey and some other ex pros all played too, but it's a shame we didn't see them. 

1 minute ago, Selred said:

Merse came across very well, seems to be in a great place now which is good to see. 

Ruddock will never change, and his wife isn't any help going over there and drinking with him. Unfortunately it's his daughters lives he's affecting too. 

Paul Wash, Steve Howey and some other ex pros all played too, but it's a shame we didn't see them. 

Needs to clean up his act that lad.

2 hours ago, ITK..... said:

Fair play David seaman when asked to play in goal against french nudist team. 

Don't understand why he thinks he's better than that. All the others played. Its less degrading than dancing on ice. 

2 hours ago, Selred said:

Could be that Steve Howey etc want to play/enjoy being with the other former players but just cba with having a camera in their face and having to do interviews.

2 hours ago, Selred said:

Ruddock is a complete idiot. Embarassing he had a cap for our national team in all honesty.

2 hours ago, ITK..... said:

Fair play David seaman when asked to play in goal against french nudist team. 

It is a bit unusual to refuse to play against a team that your team-mates failed to beat,  because you thought you were too good to play against them.

36 minutes ago, Selred said:

Don't understand why he thinks he's better than that. All the others played. Its less degrading than dancing on ice. 

Also much less dangerous, especially for his  professional partner, who always seemed to be getting injured as he was unable to hold on to her for more than a couple of seconds before crashing her on to the ice! 

6 hours ago, Tinmans Love Child said:

Was a great day. Watched most of the 98 world cup in there as well

1 hour ago, WiltshireReds said:

Ruddock is a complete idiot. Embarassing he had a cap for our national team in all honesty.

Incredible that a one time professional footballer could let himself go so far.

He was a big lad as a player; at a guess I would have said he was around 15 stone while at Liverpool. Therefore he has gained 10 stone since then, which is ridiculous.

All the other lads have gained weight, as you would expect after finishing the game, but 10 stone ?!

Merse looked in very good shape, finally cutting out the booze looks to have done him wonders both physically and mentally.

15 minutes ago, The Gasbuster said:

Incredible that a one time professional footballer could let himself go so far.

He was a big lad as a player; at a guess I would have said he was around 15 stone while at Liverpool. Therefore he has gained 10 stone since then, which is ridiculous.

All the other lads have gained weight, as you would expect after finishing the game, but 10 stone ?!

Merse looked in very good shape, finally cutting out the booze looks to have done him wonders both physically and mentally.

He does seem to have 'filled out' quite a bit since his playing days (although looking at this he was starting to look a bit podgy in his Swindon days).  He is heading for a coronary at the rate he's going.

image.thumb.png.1a65cdca156fc65448526e530ed37ad6.png

5 minutes ago, Ronnie Sinclair said:

He does seem to have 'filled out' quite a bit since his playing days (although looking at this he was starting to look a bit podgy in his Swindon days).  He is heading for a coronary at the rate he's going.

Didn't know he played for Swindon!

2 hours ago, Buster Footman's T shirt said:

Was a great day. Watched most of the 98 world cup in there as well

Blimey.  I can remember watching the final in there certainly..  The landlord was well into his footie.  Set up a Downs league club that had at least 2 sides I seem to remember.  Sure he used to play

3 hours ago, WiltshireReds said:

In his defense (accepting it won't win any court case!!), when we beat them at Anfield, I think he was the Liverpool player who came onto Citys coach after the game as they were loading up, gave our boys a couple of crates of beers and said well played etc.... a pretty decent sporting gesture for sure... but clearly he is a bit brain dead with regard to his drinking etc... walking heart attack waiting to happen now.

1 hour ago, brady bunch said:

In his defense (accepting it won't win any court case!!), when we beat them at Anfield, I think he was the Liverpool player who came onto Citys coach after the game as they were loading up, gave our boys a couple of crates of beers and said well played etc.... a pretty decent sporting gesture for sure... but clearly he is a bit brain dead with regard to his drinking etc... walking heart attack waiting to happen now.

Along with many who post on here I suspect........ including myself

4 hours ago, Ronnie Sinclair said:

When he played for Swindon they had to order in non standard shorts as his waste was so big.

5 hours ago, New Dazzler said:

It is a bit unusual to refuse to play against a team that your team-mates failed to beat,  because you thought you were too good to play against them.

Also much less dangerous, especially for his  professional partner, who always seemed to be getting injured as he was unable to hold on to her for more than a couple of seconds before crashing her on to the ice! 

Not unusual....it's called pride and he's not selling his sole to make crap TV. 

Archived