IGNORED

"I love this solo.."

AppyDAZE

Great guitar solos on SINGLES (only)

Even if you're not particularly into a certain band or record

Records (singles only) where you go.. shut up a sec, I love this solo

I'm Mandy Fly Me

Come up and see me

are two that spring to mind but I know there are thousands out there.

1 hour ago, AppyDAZE said:

As much as i love punk and new wave, trying to kill off the guitar solo? Not a prayer, boys.

True, but then the punx joined in, some of them anyway. OK he was no Carlos Santana, but John Perry's solos on The Only Ones 'Another Girl Another Planet' were special at the time.

And Jake Burns' lead break on 'Johnny Was' from SLF's first album blew me away. Who knew you could do that? I needed to practise more!! It's at 3:22 on this, if you can be arsed. 

1 hour ago, The Dolman Pragmatist said:

You could pick any number of solos by Mark Knopfler.  I was never a great Dire Straits fan, but whenever I’ve seen film of Knopfler playing solo I’m always astonished by his technique and lyricism.

Truly one of the greatest guitarist (certainly the greatest finger picker?) of recent times from these shores. 

Sultans of Swing, I mean which live version is best.  Alchemy, Live Aid or Nelson Mandella when he's got Clapton playing as Rhythm. Might edge for Live Aid

56 minutes ago, One Team In Keynsham said:

Must admit, I don't actually have a favourite guitar solo from any of my favourite songs. 

That said, I do realise Prince was pretty special in this clip, from about 3'30 in. The man was an absolute genius.

I think he's the most underrated guitarist.  Absolutely one of the best ever but rarely mentioned in the same breath as people like SRV, Hendrix, Satch etc.

15 minutes ago, Nibor said:

I think he's the most underrated guitarist.  Absolutely one of the best ever but rarely mentioned in the same breath as people like SRV, Hendrix, Satch etc.

Brilliant musician but a shame he was such a ****

1 hour ago, kevinmabbuttshair said:

Prince purple rain

Slash sweet child of mine. 

Hard to argue with those

1 hour ago, City Rocker said:

True, but then the punx joined in, some of them anyway. OK he was no Carlos Santana, but John Perry's solos on The Only Ones 'Another Girl Another Planet' were special at the time.

And Jake Burns' lead break on 'Johnny Was' from SLF's first album blew me away. Who knew you could do that? I needed to practise more!! It's at 3:22 on this, if you can be arsed. 

Very true. And if you listen to Venus de Milo - Television... the whole song is pretty much a solo. Brilliant track.

Shoe horning this one in as the intro to Van Halens cover of "You really got me" but Eruption totally blew me away when I first heard it at the Colston Hall when VH were supporting Black Sabbath, I can still remember the "WTF is this!" had no idea who this band were at the time, loved them from that moment on, well, when Diamond Dave were in them, not so much the Van Hagar stuff

Archived