IGNORED

"I love this solo.."

AppyDAZE

2 hours ago, Bob Turnip said:

Lenny Kravitz "Sister". And "Believe" from the same album.

Ah forgot, singles only - think Believe was released.

:laugh: No cheating now... otherwise i can add my favourite ever solo Since I've Been Loving You

3 hours ago, The Gasbuster said:

Southern Rock at it's best. Molly Hatchet from Florida, rivals (in some ways) to the great Lynrd Skynrd.

'Gator country 2.50 mins until end.

I thought I was the only Molly Hatchet fan!

Boogie No More and their superb note for note cover of Feeebird Live well worth checking out!

Won't you give it to me one more time!

6 hours ago, Norn Iron said:

If you've never heard of this band , please listen anyway and comment afterwards.

Oh man, I’ve seen Camel live twice in the last three or four years and I can confirm that Andy Latimer has truly still got it!  A fantastic guitarist and one of the great gurners of contemporary music.  I love Camel, though to be honest they remain one long guitar solo interrupted by the occasional bout of singing,

45 minutes ago, The Dolman Pragmatist said:

Oh man, I’ve seen Camel live twice in the last three or four years and I can confirm that Andy Latimer has truly still got it!  A fantastic guitarist and one of the great gurners of contemporary music.  I love Camel, though to be honest they remain one long guitar solo interrupted by the occasional bout of singing,

I saw them circa 72-3 at the Hippodrome ,supporting (of all bands) Stackridge !

• Admin
6 hours ago, Med/MadHatter said:

Shoe horning this one in as the intro to Van Halens cover of "You really got me" but Eruption totally blew me away when I first heard it at the Colston Hall when VH were supporting Black Sabbath, I can still remember the "WTF is this!" had no idea who this band were at the time, loved them from that moment on, well, when Diamond Dave were in them, not so much the Van Hagar stuff

Slightly off topic, but I was at that gig, the bar emptied and I’ve never seen such an enthusiastic crowd for a support act, that tour was a huge break through for Van Halen and I was convinced Sabbath weren’t too happy with it and flounced off at the end.

37 minutes ago, Maesknoll Red said:

Slightly off topic, but I was at that gig, the bar emptied and I’ve never seen such an enthusiastic crowd for a support act, that tour was a huge break through for Van Halen and I was convinced Sabbath weren’t too happy with it and flounced off at the end.

Exactly how me and my mates saw it, VH stole the show

14 hours ago, Norn Iron said:

I thought I was the only Molly Hatchet fan!

Boogie No More and their superb note for note cover of Feeebird Live well worth checking out!

Won't you give it to me one more time!

Yep.

They played a small venue in Cardiff about 18 months ago. Their cover of Freebird was the encore - superb.

Just a shame they didn't play a bigger venue, as the sound was simply too big, and often distorted.

1 hour ago, The Gasbuster said:

Yep.

They played a small venue in Cardiff about 18 months ago. Their cover of Freebird was the encore - superb.

Just a shame they didn't play a bigger venue, as the sound was simply too big, and often distorted.

Noooooo!

You could've at least told them to come to Norn Iron on their way home!

I know what you mean about distorted sounds. The sound engineer should've known better.

I saw the Black Crowes at Manchester Apollo just before they split up. Same issue as you experienced and the Apollo is supposed to have excellent acoustics!

As an amusing counter to the thread here is Neil Innes' solo from The Canyons of Your Mind.

He could actually play well!

Viv Stanshall, lead singer, had a Bristol connection:

The Stanshalls lived and worked on The Thekla, a Baltic Trader, which Ki sailed 732 nautical miles (1,356 km) from Sunderland to be moored in the Bristol Docks. Ki had bought the vessel and converted her into a floating theatre called 'The Old Profanity Showboat'. Stanshall joined her on it in 1983, when they opened the doors of the theatre. By this time, he was already suffering from alcohol and drug abuse, having become addicted to Valium while trying to control his anxiety.

2 hours ago, Eddie Hitler said:

As an amusing counter to the thread here is Neil Innes' solo from The Canyons of Your Mind.

He could actually play well!

Viv Stanshall, lead singer, had a Bristol connection:

The Stanshalls lived and worked on The Thekla, a Baltic Trader, which Ki sailed 732 nautical miles (1,356 km) from Sunderland to be moored in the Bristol Docks. Ki had bought the vessel and converted her into a floating theatre called 'The Old Profanity Showboat'. Stanshall joined her on it in 1983, when they opened the doors of the theatre. By this time, he was already suffering from alcohol and drug abuse, having become addicted to Valium while trying to control his anxiety.

You have to be a good player to play badly !

This one is a bit of a blast from the past, but the first thing I thought of when seeing this thread.  Who .remembers Juicy Lucy? If you owned their eponymous album as a schoolboy, you would certainly remember the cover!  This is a steel guitar solo from Glenn Ross Campbell, the single (which was a bit of a surprise hit) is called "Who Do You Love?", previously released by Bo Diddly.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QDNqxDdt0vU

Also honourable mentions for Frank Zappa on "Willie the Pimp" and Eric Clapton guesting on George Harrison's brilliant "While My Guitar Gently Weeps" from the Beatles White Album.

1 hour ago, New Dazzler said:

This one is a bit of a blast from the past, but the first thing I thought of when seeing this thread.  Who .remembers Juicy Lucy? If you owned their eponymous album as a schoolboy, you would certainly remember the cover!  This is a steel guitar solo from Glenn Ross Campbell, the single (which was a bit of a surprise hit) is called "Who Do You Love?", previously released by Bo Diddly.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QDNqxDdt0vU

Also honourable mentions for Frank Zappa on "Willie the Pimp" and Eric Clapton guesting on George Harrison's brilliant "While My Guitar Gently Weeps" from the Beatles White Album.

Love Willie The Pimp guitar. The solo goes on and on and on...

Although never a 7" single, as far as I know.... tut tut

57 minutes ago, The Gasbuster said:

Got that on blu ray - Mexico City, I believe ?

The best that I have ever heard Samba Pa Ti played.

Saw Santana many years ago at Bournemouth Winter Gardens. Carlos played Samba pa tI of course but the highlight for me was their rendition of Peter Greens Black magic woman - it went on for ages and ages and was truly brilliant. The guy on the tomtoms was absolutely knackered!

2 hours ago, AppyDAZE said:

Love Willie The Pimp guitar. The solo goes on and on and on...

Although never a 7" single, as far as I know.... tut tut

Sorry about that, forgot about the singles only bit ?(and then mentioned 2 album tracks!).  The Juicy Lucy song was a single though, so 1 out of 3 ain't bad!

So will substitute the album tracks with 2 singles:- Derek and the Dominoes "Layla" and Fleetwood Mac's "Oh Well".  Whatever happened to "Derek"?

Archived