IGNORED

Swindon in financial trouble?

Bristol Rob

12 minutes ago, Natchfever said:

Why such a large amount of Swindon fans in Trowbridge ? Is it a Wiltshire thing, or a legacy from the Premier League season ?

Trowbridge is actually a bit closer to Bristol whichever way you go, and in reasonable striking range of Southampton if you fancy a spot of Prem .

I think City have more of a hardcore following in West Wilts than Swindon do. Swindon has its fair share of part time fans that like Man Utd or Liverpool and also Swindon around here whereas I know quite a few City and Rovers fans actually who go home and away for their sides

48 minutes ago, 2015 said:

I think City have more of a hardcore following in West Wilts than Swindon do. Swindon has its fair share of part time fans that like Man Utd or Liverpool and also Swindon around here whereas I know quite a few City and Rovers fans actually who go home and away for their sides

There's a lot of Swindon in Corsham, Chippenham , Melksham and Devizes but I'm guessing there must be quite a few City in those places too but not sure about Rovers as they very rarely get a mention

27 minutes ago, Shaun Taylor said:

There's a lot of Swindon in Corsham, Chippenham , Melksham and Devizes but I'm guessing there must be quite a few City in those places too but not sure about Rovers as they very rarely get a mention

I would say in Corsham and Chippenham there are. Melksham has a big Swindon following as does Devizes

31 minutes ago, Shaun Taylor said:

You would have though the Gas might have picked up some curious newbies from the county when they were at Twerton and were doing reasonably well.

18 minutes ago, 2015 said:

I would say in Corsham and Chippenham there are. Melksham has a big Swindon following as does Devizes

What I can make out City have a big fanbase south of Bristol, in Weston, Bridgewater and across into Somerset but I don't know about Bath which is just down the road as it's not really a football place 

10 minutes ago, Shaun Taylor said:

What I can make out City have a big fanbase south of Bristol, in Weston, Bridgewater and across into Somerset but I don't know about Bath which is just down the road as it's not really a football place 

Definitely a following across West Wilts, Frome and Bath from when I used to play Football , City were the most popular local side.

19 hours ago, phantom said:

I don't see them as a rival, they are just another team in the coutry

Losing a football club is a massive thing

I think we all want them to lose football matches but I certainly don't want Swindon or any other football team to go bust at any time.

4 minutes ago, Super said:

I think we all want them to lose football matches but I certainly don't want Swindon or any other football team to go bust at any time.

Hopefully at our end there's all the scare mongering without knowing the facts will come to nothing as Wellens has come out and said the chairman has always been transparent with him and he knew about the current story months ago and if he had any doubts he wouldn't have signed a new three contract recently and could have doubled his money elsewhere.

I think we have less fans in Bath as its, obviously, primarily a rugby city, and most fans there have a disliking/rivalry with Bristol Rugby.

Therefore they wouldn't dream of supporting a Bristol club, even if its in a different sport. 

I'd imagine if Swindon Town fans wanted to follow the best Cricket team around and it was Oxford CC, although not at all linked to Oxford United, they would never do it. 

7 minutes ago, Seneca the Younger said:

I think we have less fans in Bath as its, obviously, primarily a rugby city, and most fans there have a disliking/rivalry with Bristol Rugby.

Therefore they wouldn't dream of supporting a Bristol club, even if its in a different sport. 

I'd imagine if Swindon Town fans wanted to follow the best Cricket team around and it was Oxford CC, although not at all linked to Oxford United, they would never do it. 

Good point and I often wonder how many gas fans have to eat humble pie and go to Ashton gate to watch rugby as they must have had a decent following when the memorial was used 

2 hours ago, Seneca the Younger said:

I was born and brought up in Bath, but although readers are welcome to my view, I certainly wouldnt speak for the whole City

Both City and Rovers have a following in Bath. The Gas more so when they played at Twerton but I feel thats ebbed away. Popular teams in Bath are Liverpool, Man United, Chelsea, Manchester City (mostly because of the legacy of Tony Book), Tottenham and Arsenal and then some Argyle and Pompey fans (probably as a direct result of the MOD). Ive even seen some Saints shirts. Bath Citizens have a consistently good Rugby Club to follow and that attracts a decent attendance on a regular basis. As a kid you look for local hero's.... and Bath's hero's tend to wear hoops and play with an egg shaped ball. I trained with Bath Rugby as a kid....a good number did. It was easy to feel "involved" 

4 hours ago, Shaun Taylor said:

Hopefully at our end there's all the scare mongering without knowing the facts will come to nothing as Wellens has come out and said the chairman has always been transparent with him and he knew about the current story months ago and if he had any doubts he wouldn't have signed a new three contract recently and could have doubled his money elsewhere.

Doesn't transparent mean you can see right through him !!

Used to be a handful of regulars from Devizes but Devizes is Swindon and Pompey. City lads from Melksham were generally from from the Forest part of the town. They used to run a coach or two to games and Wembley but as they put it the Melksham was more far more Swindon. Melksham and Trowbridge City fans didnt always get on with each other!!

On 21/05/2020 at 15:44, poland_exile said:

apparently genuinely very feisty is there rivalry with Gillingham, dates from a match in the 70s i think. Love a random, weird hatred! 

Notts county have on of those with Rovers apparently. My ex father in law is a massive County Fan. Something to do with unsporting behaviour over a throw in apparently.....not like Rovers to be unsporting?

11 minutes ago, Buster Footman's T shirt said:

Notts county have on of those with Rovers apparently. My ex father in law is a massive County Fan. Something to do with unsporting behaviour over a throw in apparently.....not like Rovers to be unsporting?

Or for them to win a throw in.

13 minutes ago, Buster Footman's T shirt said:

Remember reading about that game - the EP reported the controversy and also that an elderly Rovers fan had been arrested outside the ground after laying into numerous Notts County fans with his walking stick after the match.

23 hours ago, E.G.Red said:

I wouldn't say there is any rivalry now as when we played them a few years back they brought next to any fans but after it started in 1979 there was a bit of trouble at their place with their kids chucking stones & bottles over the away end but nothing down here. When we played them away in the play offs in 87 Swindon turned their main pub over (not condoning it) but there was nothing in the return match at the county ground then in the deciding match at Selhurst Park we had around 15k and they sold aeound 8k and no trouble to note. In 2011 Swindon clinched promotion under DiCanio at Gillingham but the police were concerned so only limited us to 800 tickets as well as making it an early kick off. Since then we've played them a couple of times without any issues.

i did read that their other rival is Millwall which I somehow can't see and would expect it to be Colchester & Southend 

5 minutes ago, Shaun Taylor said:

I wouldn't say there is any rivalry now as when we played them a few years back they brought next to any fans but after it started in 1979 there was a bit of trouble at their place with their kids chucking stones & bottles over the away end but nothing down here. When we played them away in the play offs in 87 Swindon turned their main pub over (not condoning it) but there was nothing in the return match at the county ground then in the deciding match at Selhurst Park we had around 15k and they sold aeound 8k and no trouble to note. In 2011 Swindon clinched promotion under DiCanio at Gillingham but the police were concerned so only limited us to 800 tickets as well as making it an early kick off. Since then we've played them a couple of times without any issues.

i did read that their other rival is Millwall which I somehow can't see and would expect it to be Colchester & Southend 

You`re not special in that respect, they used to do that to everyone!

24 minutes ago, Shaun Taylor said:

Living In Gillingham now. Their local rivalry with Maidstone is fairly strong. In terms of league rivalry Millwall and Charlton raise most ire. Millwall well just because and Charlton enmity seems to stem from Charlton running regular coaches from the Medway towns during the premier league stint and allegedly stealing fans . Was mostly stirred up by Paul Scally who is not particularly known for wasting good oil on troubled waters. Seems to be a bit of enmity between us and Gills at boardroom level. Certainly the Pulis connection doesn't help.

1 hour ago, Buster Footman's T shirt said:

Living In Gillingham now. Their local rivalry with Maidstone is fairly strong. In terms of league rivalry Millwall and Charlton raise most ire. Millwall well just because and Charlton enmity seems to stem from Charlton running regular coaches from the Medway towns during the premier league stint and allegedly stealing fans . Was mostly stirred up by Paul Scally who is not particularly known for wasting good oil on troubled waters. Seems to be a bit of enmity between us and Gills at boardroom level. Certainly the Pulis connection doesn't help.

Nice one Buster. I forgot there were other dodgy chairmen apart from our own and Mr Scally certainly likes controversy!

I didn't know about the Charlton rivalry and they would be better off not upsetting the Millwall lads as there's only winner there

3 minutes ago, Shaun Taylor said:

Nice one Buster. I forgot there were other dodgy chairmen apart from our own and Mr Scally certainly likes controversy!

I didn't know about the Charlton rivalry and they would be better off not upsetting the Millwall lads as there's only winner there

You are definitely right about Paul Scally. Quite an apt surname. Seems to revel in a bit of controversy. Similar to Barry Fry in that respect. Plumbed new depths in terms of non likeability when they employed Mr Evans as manager. I remember some particularly salty comments in the local press from Scally following us beating them in the JOT semi. Along the lines of it just wasnt fair that we had £2 million pound rated players in our squad and on loan and the while 'clubs like Bristol City' carry on spending like this at this level it makes a mockery of the competition. Seem to recall that he refused to sell Bradley Dack to us then let him go to Blackburn for less. Maybe mistaken on this last point.

Archived