IGNORED

Best Individual Display

Dolman_Stand

10 hours ago, marcofisher said:

There were so many from JET that I can remember the specific ones. 

Every time he got the ball you knew something was likely to happen. 

Although his best performance was probably playing against us for Doncaster, managed at the time by our very own SO'D.

For City, Jacki away at Leicester in the FA Cup, frozen pitch, skated around like Robin Cousins and owned the pitch.  Another one for City, slightly oddball I admit, but at the game that night and having seen the highlights many times, Junior Bent away at Liverpool in the FA Cup - if only his finishing was half as good as the positions he got in that night, he'd have won the game on his own.  How he missed from 6 or 7 yds when we were 1-0 nil up to kill the game off from Chief's right wing cross, still to this day, I don't know how......

Opposition wise, David Ginola for Newcastle at AG way back in the League Cup 1995, team full of stars but Ginola was majestic, head and shoulders above anything on the pitch, it was a pleasure to stand and applaud him at the end.  We got hammered 5-0, and quite frankly as the old saying goes, we were lucky to get nil.

5 hours ago, Elruliri said:

Keith Welch against Sunderland when Soren Anderson scored a last minute winner. Sunderland should of been 10-0 up and I remember Carl Shutt scoring four in a night game against Fulham in the late 80's.

I watched the Sunderland game in a boozer and there were a few saggies in there, we got absolutely battered - it was 1-1 though and not 0-1.

Full game here:

14 minutes ago, BanburyRed said:

For City, Jacki away at Leicester in the FA Cup, frozen pitch, skated around like Robin Cousins and owned the pitch.  Another one for City, slightly oddball I admit, but at the game that night and having seen the highlights many times, Junior Bent away at Liverpool in the FA Cup - if only his finishing was half as good as the positions he got in that night, he'd have won the game on his own.  How he missed from 6 or 7 yds when we were 1-0 nil up to kill the game off from Chief's right wing cross, still to this day, I don't know how......

Opposition wise, David Ginola for Newcastle at AG way back in the League Cup 1995, team full of stars but Ginola was majestic, head and shoulders above anything on the pitch, it was a pleasure to stand and applaud him at the end.  We got hammered 5-0, and quite frankly as the old saying goes, we were lucky to get nil.

Newcastle pretty much gave up didn't they in the second half as they felt embarrassed for us!! They really could have got double figures if they wanted to from what I can recall.

The mercurial Jacki Dziekanowski for City, Leicester away in the FA Cup at Filbert Street. City won it 2-1. Big following from Bristol that day. In fact it was a cracking atmosphere and day out. The game was on Match Of The Day. It was only Jacki’s 2nd game for us so noone really knew much about him, except that he was a Polish international.

Think there is a YouTube video of the highlights if you want to see a really good City team from 1992. He was an absolute genius on an icy pitch at Filbert Street when all others struggled.

Jacki & also Jet on there day, were what football is all about for me. Great entertainment.

1 hour ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

A couple of gasheads revealed their quarters that day in the away end, the Forest fans applauded them, did you see that?!

Remember that vividly, as I was walking past the Rising Sun a City fan pushed by me and hit the gashead as hard as I'd ever seen anyone hit. His Rovers shirt was covered up by then, but this City fan must have recognised him. He was sparked out on the ground. I went from pure hatred when I saw them celebrating in the away end to actually feeling a bit sorry for him sparked out on the concrete. His mate was sh*tting himself and kept saying 'we've got the message' repeatedly. Nobody put the boot in thankfully and his mate helped him up and they sheepishly walked off, but it was brutal.

1 hour ago, TomF said:

Greg Goodridge home debut v Luton?  Can’t be many, if any, debuts better than that. 

I remember one Greg Goodridge performance against Millwall in the cup when he tore them to shreds - it was an outstanding performance that goes forgotten. 

Andy Cole in the 5-1 against Cardiff in the cup was different class. Even blindfolded you could tell he was destined to become a huge name.

And what about this for a random choice: Junior against Liverpool at AG. Bloody hell he gave them absolute hell, from memory he absolutely blinded them with his pace. 

And the highest scoring game I've seen, the 9-2 against, admitedly, St. Albans, where I think Agostino banged four or five in. 

Opposition players - ooof :( Sheringham and Collymore get another vote from me, though I also remember David Kelly repeatedly roasting us! (he sucks a horse's ****!). 

On the subject of watching the reserves i miss that.

Used to be 25p to get in in the 1980s.

grandstand only, mrs fudge was always there, and i recall the first teamers tried to be incognito at the back of the stand.

They very rarely played leauge teams, bar local, it was the likes of odd down melksham etc.

Conversations like this always remind me of the game where the normally fairly ordinary Phil Jevons had the game of his life and just looked like an absolute world beater.  I think it was possibly against Gillingham and he scored a first half hat-trick?  Don't remember another performance that was so out of character.

14 hours ago, JonDolman said:

Kevin De Bruyne in the home leg.

For me he is the best midfielder to ever play in this country.

I have never seen football like that.

It's not often I enjoy watching opposition players, but he was absolutely superb. It's an old cliché that certain players seem to have more time on the ball, but De Bruyne seemed to have the pitch to himself at times.

The mists of time might have clouded my judgement, but I remember a league cup game in the promotion season ( i think) against First division Wham.

Although we lost, Cheesley ran them ragged up against a decent defence featuring Lampard, Bonds and Tommy Taylor. I think that was the night I realised that Cheesley was something special and would go on to achieve great things. Sad to reflect that within 12 months his career would be over.

1 hour ago, formerly known as ivan said:

From a defender against us at the gate, Sam Sodje was immense against us for Brentford one season. Literally nothing got past him and had a lot of fans urging us to sign him after his performance 

On the subject of defenders, Jonathan Woodgate for Boro at AG in about 2013 (?). He was outstanding, nothing got past him and he never broke sweat all day. Best player on the pitch by a country mile - it was a pleasure to watch him just make it all look so easy.

On 21/05/2020 at 20:12, archie andrews said:

stan collymore 93  1-4

graham rix 88  2-3

liam brady 78  1-3

best team performance at the gate Bournemouth 05  0-2

Great choices. I remember with Brady that I kept hearing what a talent he was but thought it was over hyped. We only seen highlights of other teams back then and from what I saw he seemed no better than the likes of Alan Hudson,  Hoddle, Brooking or a host of other creative or attacking midfielders in the top flight. But in that 3-1 defeat at home to Arsenal he was absolutely superb. Better than any player I seen during those four years of top flight football. Totally ran the show. Head and shoulders above anyone else on the pitch that day.

On my return home I pondered on what the Sunday People would rate for his performance. I had never seen them give a player ten out of ten. It just didn't seem to be done. I had seen a fair few 9 out of 10s given. The next morning there it was, Liam Brady 10.

Another visiting player who caught the eye in the top flight was Ricardo Villa for Spurs in a 0-0 at Ashton Gate. The turnstiles didn't open for a good 30 minutes after they were meant to that afternoon in, I think, January 1979. The pitch was iced up. Due to the shadows from the stand roofs the Sun couldn't thaw half the pitch so basically a good 50% of the surface was as hard as concrete. But the game went ahead. It was too treacherous to be a spectacle and Mark Kendall, the Spurs keeper, was actually knocked out as he slipped backwards collecting a high ball and banged the back of his head on the hard surface. If I recall correctly the Spurs medical staff, and players, feared for his life at one stage. Yet, in these treacherous conditions one player astonishingly stood out, showing great ball control and passing etc. It was Ricky Villa, quite a tall, robust player from ice free Argentina. 

9 hours ago, Lanterne Rouge said:

On the subject of defenders, Jonathan Woodgate for Boro at AG in about 2013 (?). He was outstanding, nothing got past him and he never broke sweat all day. Best player on the pitch by a country mile - it was a pleasure to watch him just make it all look so easy.

That reminds me of when we played Portsmouth in a pre season friendly a few years back and Glen Johnson absolutely bossed the game from right back. He was different gravy that day.

Anyone remember the Liverpool friendly at the Gate, early 90's? They had a forward that looked about 11 and we were supposed to be getting him on loan (rumour).

He then proceeded to tear us a new arse, enter Michael Owen. Jeez, he was good! 

On 21/05/2020 at 12:02, Bar BS3 said:

Stan Collymore (1-4 Vs Forest) 

Wonder as painful as it was, if there are any highlights anywhere of this one.  Certainly the standout performance I remember in my early years watching City.   Didn't he play against us for Southend the season previously - Jacki's home debut as well?

Edit found some short ones:

Couple of ones not mentioned -

Micky Hazard for Swindon - Andy Llewellyn tried to man mark him at one point

Jim Brennan - can't remember who it was against but he had just returned from Canada and he played a blinder whilst jet lagged, was in the middle of a purple patch for him and we sold him not long after

Archived