IGNORED

One way or another, promotion and relegation to happen this season.

BCFC Rich

Promotion and Relegation to remain even if the season is ended early. 

Playoffs to include a max of 4 clubs. 

"Play-offs will also be played, but with no more than four teams.

The EFL has confirmed that 51% of clubs in either the Championship, League One or League Two need to agree for a campaign to be curtailed." 

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/52758193

Anyone else reckon that’s probably the end of the season? Would think there are less than 51% of clubs who still have something to play for. Top two have no reason to play the season out as they will get their promotion, realistically maybe 7 clubs outside the playoffs will fancy their chances of sneaking in, and anyone near relegation bar the bottom 3 will happily see the season finished. 
So I would guess 10/24 vote to continue?

1 minute ago, Dredd said:

Anyone else reckon that’s probably the end of the season? Would think there are less than 51% of clubs who still have something to play for. Top two have no reason to play the season out as they will get their promotion, realistically maybe 7 clubs outside the playoffs will fancy their chances of sneaking in, and anyone near relegation bar the bottom 3 will happily see the season finished. 
So I would guess 10/24 vote to continue?

No.

IMO the PL and Championship will play the remainder of the season, L1, god knows what will happen here, could get very messy, DMac of P'boro threatening legal action if the season gets cut short, last i read was 11 teams are wanting to play the remaining games. It's a very open division with plenty of teams fighting for the Play-Offs hence why it's probably taking them so long to agree on what happens. L2 obviously finished already and they have pretty much agreed already what is happening with final standings.

Personally don't agree with 'it's all about the money' shouts on why the season should continue, you only have to listen to what some Owners, Managers, and players who still have something to play for are saying, whether their club are fighting at the top or at the bottom they all want to finish it in the correct and fairest way, when it is safe enough to do so. Leagues shouldn't IMO be finalised by the PPG scenario and should definitely not just be made void. If the latter happened to be the case then technically it 'never happened' so would I then be entitled to a full refund on my seasonticket? :fear:

18 minutes ago, Dredd said:

League one is messy for sure with 3 points between 2nd and 8th. They will all fancy a crack at that second automatic spot 

Agreed but 13 clubs in total need to vote to continue - they'll fall just short of that.

A shame because the cost of having to play approx a dozen matches behind closed doors might have been the straw that broke the Blue Few's back.      

I think League One will vote to end the season but don't see the Championship following suit. The difference is that it will cost a lot of clubs in League 1 money to play to empty stadiums, whereas in the Championship I think the clubs would be set to lose money (from TV deals) by not finishing the season. 

Amusing that Sunderland face another season in League One. Their parachute payments must be running out, no? Could be in trouble.

10 minutes ago, Merrick's Marvels said:

Agreed but 13 clubs in total need to vote to continue - they'll fall just short of that.

A shame because the cost of having to play approx a dozen matches behind closed doors might have been the straw that broke the Blue Few's back.      

You'd be shocked to find out that according to the BP that they are allegedly one of the 11 clubs who prefer to play the season out.

5 minutes ago, Robin101 said:

I think League One will vote to end the season but don't see the Championship following suit. The difference is that it will cost a lot of clubs in League 1 money to play to empty stadiums, whereas in the Championship I think the clubs would be set to lose money (from TV deals) by not finishing the season. 

Amusing that Sunderland face another season in League One. Their parachute payments must be running out, no? Could be in trouble.

Read somewhere yesterday that the Championship clubs did have a vote, with only 3 clubs not wanting to continue, presumably the rest want to get on and play or are not fussed either way. 

The reason why League 1 is split is financial.  The variance in size of clubs is unbelieveable.  Sunderland down to Accrington.  30,000 crowds down to 2,800.  

If you're smaller you just want the season ended so prize money can be divvied out and you can perhaps mothball the whole operation.  A bigger club cannot realistically do that. The gas are a bang average League 1 side in terms of crowds.

Sorry if it’s already been mentioned on other threads guys, however assuming the premier league and the championship resume say on 12th June, with 9 games left of each I would think it would take till at best estimate end of July to complete if they have some midweek fixtures...so what happens with next season, when would it start given it normally starts in August?

it is also complicated by the euros next summer so the season would need to finish early May!!

i guess there are a lot of Questions that need to be answered but not sure if anyone has seen any snippets of info on how things may play out structure and timeline wise next season?

1 minute ago, MC RISK77 said:

Sorry if it’s already been mentioned on other threads guys, however assuming the premier league and the championship resume say on 12th June, with 9 games left of each I would think it would take till at best estimate end of July to complete if they have some midweek fixtures...so what happens with next season, when would it start given it normally starts in August?

it is also complicated by the euros next summer so the season would need to finish early May!!

i guess there are a lot of Questions that need to be answered but not sure if anyone has seen any snippets of info on how things may play out structure and timeline wise next season?

Well, ditch the cups for a start.

2 hours ago, The Bard said:

The reason why League 1 is split is financial.  The variance in size of clubs is unbelieveable.  Sunderland down to Accrington.  30,000 crowds down to 2,800.  

If you're smaller you just want the season ended so prize money can be divvied out and you can perhaps mothball the whole operation.  A bigger club cannot realistically do that. The gas are a bang average League 1 side in terms of crowds.

Hey! I’ll have you know that the Blue Few claim their away following percentage based on their average home attendance is one of the best in L1.

They completely ignore the fact that their home crowds are absolutely shit mind. 

#gaslogic

39 minutes ago, MC RISK77 said:

If it ended the last week of July why would it be a problem to start the season a week later than usual say 15th August? don't you think 3 weeks off for fit men in their teens twenties and thirties will be enough rest personally think that is more than enough.   

16 minutes ago, Major Isewater said:

I’m sure the sponsors would be delighted .

They shouldn’t ‘ ditch the cups ‘ but change the format.

I could see the league cup being non-premier league, or at least non European cup teams only next season 

FA cup will surely be drastically different as amateur and probably even a lot of semi pro clubs won’t be back so may just be limited to football league and NL with north and south divs

Just now, pillred said:

If it ended the last week of July why would it be a problem to start the season a week later than usual say 15th August? don't you think 3 weeks of for fit men in their teens twenties and thirties will be enough rest personally think that is more than enough.   

Play offs will take another week, this batch of 9 games may also be physically demanding on the players with no intense pre- season to gear them up, to go from that straight into a season would be akin to getting to a World Cup final and straight into a season, you see international players not return until later after tournaments usually

4 hours ago, LondonBristolian said:

I support this. In particular, the idea that League Two would have promotion but restrict the opportunities for National League sides sat badly with me. 

Read an article about Harrogate. 

4 points behind first place Barrow and were due to play them a week or 2 after the games got cancelled. 

Their current ground isn't quite good enough for League 2, but they would be able to make the necessary improvements with the money gained from promotion. 

(Barrow being assured their spot as a result of Bury's situation).

Tough spot for their owner and what decision to make.

5 hours ago, LondonBristolian said:

I support this. In particular, the idea that League Two would have promotion but restrict the opportunities for National League sides sat badly with me. 

But National league sides have decided in no relegation from the NL and no promotion or relegation from North and South but want to have promotion to the football league. They can’t ask FL to relegate teams if they aren’t doing it themselves. 

1 hour ago, pillred said:

If it ended the last week of July why would it be a problem to start the season a week later than usual say 15th August? don't you think 3 weeks off for fit men in their teens twenties and thirties will be enough rest personally think that is more than enough.   

especially when you consider they have had the enforced 2 month break already, playing out this season will be like a pre season build up to fitness and match sharpness.

2 hours ago, hodge said:

Play offs will take another week, this batch of 9 games may also be physically demanding on the players with no intense pre- season to gear them up, to go from that straight into a season would be akin to getting to a World Cup final and straight into a season, you see international players not return until later after tournaments usually

Yes I forgot about the playoffs, maybe start the season end of August then.

Archived