IGNORED

External House Painting

Ronnie Sinclair

Like all decorating, good prep is the key to a good finish.  Cleaning, scraping and filling where needed. A pressure wash can give a good start.

Needs a couple of coats of course and I have always been a bit of a fan of Sandtex, though ordinary masonary paint is good on a decent surface.

Another thing I've learned over the years is that using cheap products is a false economy.

48 minutes ago, wendyredredrobin said:

Like all decorating, good prep is the key to a good finish.  Cleaning, scraping and filling where needed. A pressure wash can give a good start.

Needs a couple of coats of course and I have always been a bit of a fan of Sandtex, though ordinary masonary paint is good on a decent surface.

Another thing I've learned over the years is that using cheap products is a false economy.

I used Sandtex the last time I did it in 2004 - this time I'm using Johnstone's Stormshield Trade Paint and its like chalk and cheese (I think the Sandtex was straight off the shelf from B&Q, whereas I've had the Johnstone's specially mixed).  I'm getting an infinitely better finish this time even just off the first coat (although this hot weather is far from ideal for this job I have to say)

Most paint companies make two grades of paint, trade and retail. Trade paint will always have the word - Trade - underneath the manufacture name, ie Dulux Trade or Sandtex Trade. 

Trade paint is always better, full of better and more expensive ingredients and is made to add water if necessary. 

It can be a tad more expensive but worth it as you'll do the job quicker and with less paint.

B & Q, Homebase etc will sell retail (avoid) Brewers, Crown, Dulux centres will sell trade.

Archived