IGNORED

Arsenal v CITY august 1976 showing on the big match

3 minutes ago, Robbored said:

I’d completely forgotten just how many times  goalkeepers dropped kicked ball up the pitch back then. You very rarely see that these days. 

We just see keepers kick the ball on floor straight out of touch at Ashton gate. 

Another thing that's interesting is all those who say that the atmosphere has gone from modern day football, with seating etc. 

Well I'm sorry, but apart from a few renditions of "City clap, clap, clap", "Arrrsenaaaal" and "you'll never walk alone", it really wasn't as good as most games at the Gate, imo. Especially Co sidering the magnitude of the game and first game of the season. 

Not a criticism, at all. I just think it shows that nowadays compares pretty favorably, actually. 

2 hours ago, Reddrive said:

What a great team we had back then. Played some good stuff.

I think The Cheese got dressed in the dark after that game, and his knot on the tie wasn't big enough.?

In the post match interview he noted he was looking for 2 points at home to Stoke on Tuesday. What could possibly go wrong?

3 hours ago, phantom said:

Something odd I noticed.

Jimmy Rimmer didn't wear gloves during the game (as was back then) but as he walks off he's carrying gloves.....

20200523_145602.jpg

20200523_145513.jpg

Was the country in an extended lockdown during the summer of '76?  Just wondering what's going on with all the hair...

8 hours ago, Bar BS3 said:

Another thing that's interesting is all those who say that the atmosphere has gone from modern day football, with seating etc. 

Well I'm sorry, but apart from a few renditions of "City clap, clap, clap", "Arrrsenaaaal" and "you'll never walk alone", it really wasn't as good as most games at the Gate, imo. Especially Co sidering the magnitude of the game and first game of the season. 

Not a criticism, at all. I just think it shows that nowadays compares pretty favorably, actually. 

Were you there?

5 hours ago, Hampshire reds said:

we were on the clock end. fights breaking out all over the place. a battle after the game by some flats. welcome to the big time. city were fantastic.  A day never to be forgotten 

They ran at us after the game and then legged after realising we wern't for moving.I can still see their faces or at least one in particular?

10 hours ago, One Team In Keynsham said:

In the post match interview he noted he was looking for 2 points at home to Stoke on Tuesday. What could possibly go wrong?

Great to watch the Arsenal match again today. I remember sitting down with anticipation to watch that Big Match episode back in 76. However, with Cheesley’s great performance and his interview, it is bitter sweet watching it now because of what happened to him just 3 days later. I was at the Stoke game in the Dolman stand and I still vividly remember his injury after he went up for a ball with Shilton. Such a shame. 

It's was very strange watching the Arsenal City game all these years I had assumed we were the plucky underdogs who executed the perfect smash and grab but having watched it we completely outplayed them and thoroughly deserved to win. Brian Moore could not have been more complimentary even Alan Ball admitted we were the better team, it was the first time I had ever watched the match, they did themselves proud that day. what a player Paul Cheesely was, so sad that his career was cut short.

I was there ,just finished School ,had a job lined up and was allowed to sign on then as well .So long hot summer and money for nothing ,looking forward to the game and fxxk me we won as well .Bit dangerous getting away from the game ,natives werent happy :laugh:

What a great day .

Oddly enough was reading this result last night.     Looked up the 76/77 season as we finished third back then and lo and behold on the opening weekend City saw a victory at Highbury.   First thought was well done, seriously I was impressed.    I don't remember your club in the top flight, you'd be going back to what 1980 and had only just began with primary schooling.    Above posts made a valid point, it were the famous summer heatwave and still two points for a victory, how easy the memory fades.    Hope people are keeping well on here, not missing the game yet but there's a certain void where all the fans interaction should be.  

44 minutes ago, hollydog said:

In my experience the atmosphere of watching us in the top flight in the 70s was invariably brilliant. Doesn’t always come across on the TV. 

I'm sure it was better than it sounded on the TV, which I was comparing it to. 

However, even on a highlights coverage (best bits) it didn't sound notably different or better than most modern day games. 

Archived