IGNORED

Man Utd getting desperate

After announcing their losses yesterday they are now suing the makers of Football Manager for use of their trademark. This is despite the fact it has been used for many years on the game and many more years prior to this under the Championship Manager name.

This reeks of desperation to me and an embarrassing attempt to recoup some money where, even if there is an argument for them, the timing is appalling.

How the mighty have fallen!

I'm sure Man Utd were so outraged they've never requested data from FM directly (they have) or they've never advertised the game and gained PR though it and their players using it....

However Juventus are Zebre in the game for the same reason, Juve have an exclusive rights deal with the guys who make PES

What a sad state of affairs when one of, if not the worlds biggest clubs think it’ll be a good idea to sue the makers of a fantasy football game, over their badge and name etc. Greedy sad b4stards.

It’s a video game ffs!

31 minutes ago, BCFC11 said:

What a sad state of affairs when one of, if not the worlds biggest clubs think it’ll be a good idea to sue the makers of a fantasy football game, over their badge and name etc. Greedy sad b4stards.

It’s a video game ffs!

Agreed. If anything, that game over the years has probably helped to market the club to new, younger fans all over the world. Games that use fake generated badges etc (assume due to rights issues) just impacts a potential marketing avenue for clubs?

35 minutes ago, Loco Rojo said:

Agreed. If anything, that game over the years has probably helped to market the club to new, younger fans all over the world. Games that use fake generated badges etc (assume due to rights issues) just impacts a potential marketing avenue for clubs?

Apart from (not even sure they do) FM/Sega paying the clubs X amount to use official clubs badges etc on the game I’m not sure how it would affect their marketing? Not as though Man Utd have their own Simulation game to rival FM. I’ve got FM20 and have only seen the English Leagues and all the clubs below the PL have their correct badges. Could be that PL clubs ask for too much money to let them use it or may even be a PL rule not allowing it.

As you mention it is a great source of info, for various reasons.

Either way what a ridiculous and petty thing to do from such a wealthy club who don’t even need the money. Greed strikes again, even at times like the present.

2 hours ago, JamesBCFC said:

Can't imagine Manchester Red have a case, Football Manager doesn't have the proper names or badges of clubs that they don't have the license for.

The problem is that it's a very easy fix to get their proper name and badge in the game - one which they'll argue that Sports Interactive endorse. That's the part where they could have a case, and it could have a chilling effect on the game as a whole.

5 hours ago, formerly known as ivan said:

After announcing their losses yesterday they are now suing the makers of Football Manager for use of their trademark. This is despite the fact it has been used for many years on the game and many more years prior to this under the Championship Manager name.

This reeks of desperation to me and an embarrassing attempt to recoup some money where, even if there is an argument for them, the timing is appalling.

How the mighty have fallen!

Look forward to them spending hundreds of millions on new players as soon as the premier league kicks off again.

15 hours ago, archie andrews said:

been totally finished ever since sir alex went...…….fact

Aided by Fergie himself, removing the infrastructure of the club/team before he left. 

He ensured that no incoming manager would have the tools to come anywhere near his legacy. 

Stitched them up good & proper, doing his best to undo all the great work he'd put in place, so that it reflected favourably upon himself, after he'd retired. 

IF I were a Man Utd fan (which I most certainly am not!) I'd adore the guy for what he did, but have a very bitter taste in my mouth about the deliberate, calculated way he dismantled it before he left, just to preserve his own self serving God like status. 

Legend, but scum, in my opinion. 

Well done Fergie ;) ?

1 hour ago, Bar BS3 said:

Aided by Fergie himself, removing the infrastructure of the club/team before he left. 

He ensured that no incoming manager would have the tools to come anywhere near his legacy. 

Stitched them up good & proper, doing his best to undo all the great work he'd put in place, so that it reflected favourably upon himself, after he'd retired. 

IF I were a Man Utd fan (which I most certainly am not!) I'd adore the guy for what he did, but have a very bitter taste in my mouth about the deliberate, calculated way he dismantled it before he left, just to preserve his own self serving God like status. 

Well done Fergie ;) ?

Care to elaborate? Might make for an interesting read

2 hours ago, Bar BS3 said:

Well done Fergie ;) ?

Interesting take. 
Widely reported that the only advice Sir Alex gave was to keep the coaching/background staff which Moyes then went and dismantled for his yes men. 
Also turned down signings Sir Alex had lined up, one being Thiago who ended up at Bayern, to sign Fellaini... but yeah Sir Alex masterminded the downfall of United. 

3 hours ago, Bar BS3 said:

Well done Fergie ;) ?

What infrastructure is this?

45 minutes ago, winterbournered said:

He left them as champions by 12 points..

Do you also think Giggs and Scholes are overrated? 

An ageing Giggs & Scholes, finishing their careers. 

Was there much coming through to replace them..? 

6 hours ago, Bar BS3 said:

Well done Fergie ;) ?

I can't remember thinking this myself, other than they were due another squad rebuild that obviously Fergie would not be around to oversee? Perhaps this is when they should have created a DOF role and put Fergie in it?

Anyway, the real reason for replying was it reminded me I thought this way about Cloughie when he left Forest - weren't they relegated in his final season? I know he always had a 'thing' for chairmen so there might have been an F U going on, and his boozing might have been pretty bad at this stage which pickled his thinking...

14 minutes ago, ukneil said:

I can't remember thinking this myself, other than they were due another squad rebuild that obviously Fergie would not be around to oversee? Perhaps this is when they should have created a DOF role and put Fergie in it?

Anyway, the real reason for replying was it reminded me I thought this way about Cloughie when he left Forest - weren't they relegated in his final season? I know he always had a 'thing' for chairmen so there might have been an F U going on, and his boozing might have been pretty bad at this stage which pickled his thinking...

I think you're probably right, on several levels. 

Clough had the same arrogance (equally as brilliant) that effective sabotage, so nobody could fill his shoes, wouldn't be too hard to believe.

I think Clough was not far off deaths door by that point though and it was probably more neglect, that sabotage. 

1 hour ago, winterbournered said:

He left them as champions by 12 points..

Do you also think Giggs and Scholes are overrated? 

Yes he did. But be honest, I think that was an unexpected bonus. 

They weren't the United of old and the challengers handed it to them. 

Plus there were a lot of Fergies old guard, effectively in their twighlight, wanting to send Fergie out on a high. 

Don't get me wrong here... Fergie was a master. Arguably the best there's ever been. But imo, he did a job on them (or didn't, mores the point) to ensure that nobody could come in and carry on where he left them. 

Very little youth quality (comparitivly) coming through. A sub standard team for the following season. 

At best, he timed his departure wisely. At worst, he sabotaged them to protect his own legacy. 

Either way, whoever took over was destined to fail. 

I thought a club of their stature would recover quicker than they have (haven't!). 

Whatever the truth, I'm delighted..! They aren't the United that Fergie built, yet they should/could have been far better set than he left them. 

I think them getting rid of Van Gaal in 2016 was perhaps not the best move.

Yes they did miss out on the CL, on GD but he was starting to blood youth. When you are starting to do that, appointing Mourinho is one of the worst moves you can make in that respect- and a number of those young players inevitably fell by the wayside under him. Some went on to do quite nicely elsewhere- Depay- some did not and have just stalled entirely- Borthwick Jackson and Fosu Mensah and some are there but who knows if Mourinho helped or hindered them. Nonetheless, Mourinho and youth development- well he has many qualities but that ain't it!

People saying Fergie sabotaged Utd need their head checked. Since Ronaldo left he basically had to cobble together a bit part team of aging legends and hit and miss one season wonders. 

Ronaldo sold for £80m. His replacements? Valencia for £15m and Owen on a free...

Still managed to finish 2nd (by about 2 points), 1st, 2nd (goal difference) and 1st in his last 4 years. 

Blame the Glaziers for only opening the chequebook when Moyes and LVG joined and making some moronic buys.

On 23/05/2020 at 19:19, Bar BS3 said:

I think you're probably right, on several levels. 

Clough had the same arrogance (equally as brilliant) that effective sabotage, so nobody could fill his shoes, wouldn't be too hard to believe.

I think Clough was not far off deaths door by that point though and it was probably more neglect, that sabotage. 

A legion of Bristol City managers have done just the same

but without the previous success!  :)

Archived