IGNORED

Exeter city v Bristol City 14/08/1982

Simon01

49 minutes ago, Simon01 said:

Hi I am a Exeter city fan trying to find this Exeter programme 

Exeter city v Bristol City 14/08/1982 Football league Trophy 

does anyone have a spare copy 

We played you twice in 1982 - Feb and April - both games were in Div 3 - the football league trophy first came along in the 1984/84 season and we didn’t play you in that competition until 1986 and then again in 1988 and then again in 2000. Think you may be a bit confused?!

50 minutes ago, The Horse With No Name said:

The only cup match that would have been played in August would have been the League Cup. Would that be it? 

The season started much later in those days, usually not until near the end of August, so no way could this match, even if it was played, have been a competitive game.  Possibly a pre-season friendly?

I went to a league game at Exeter in 1982, to see Terry Cooper's newly assembled team of heroic youngsters lose 4-0.

Travelled on the CATS coach and remember we were singing Papa's Got A Brand New Pigbag, which was riding high in the charts at the time. The only other thing of note I recall is some of our lot steamed into the home 'end' (which was on the side to our right) and cleared it just before kick off.

I probably have the match programme in a box somewhere, but buggered if I know where.

11 hours ago, Simon01 said:

1982–83 Football League Trophy
we were in group f with Newport country and Torquay 

Newport won the group with Torquay as runners up 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1982–83_Football_League_Trophy

It's a strange one as there were only 32 teams in the goup stages which were only played in August then fast forward to the quarterfinals in December what happened to the other division 3&4 clubs did they not participate?

1985/1986
English FA Cup    Sa 07Dec 1985    
Bristol C    1 - 2    Exeter    
1981/1982
English Div 3 (old)    Sa 10Apr 1982    
Exeter    4 - 0    Bristol C    
English Div 3 (old)    Tu 23Feb 1982    
Bristol C    3 - 2    Exeter

This match on 14/08/1982 was the first for Terry Cooper as manager.

The team was : Shaw,  Stevens,  Llewellyn,  Newman,  Boyle,  Riley,  Economou,  Musker,  Chandler,  Ritchie & Bray with Terry himself and Thompson coming on as subs.  

I've been after this same programme for 4 years.  Haven't yet seen a copy come up on Ebay, and I've asked on this board before, but nobody seems to have a copy.

14.08.1982 Exeter City (A), Football League Trophy, Group Match.  City lost 2-1, after leading 1-0 at half-time.  Jon Economou was the scorer for City, on 44 minutes.  

11 minutes ago, FForbes said:

The team was : Shaw,  Stevens,  Llewellyn,  Newman,  Boyle,  Riley,  Economou,  Musker,  Chandler,  Ritchie & Bray with Terry himself and Thompson coming on as subs.  

Good research but it still dosen't explain why all the clubs weren't involved as locally Rovers and Swindon weren't involved 

1 hour ago, FForbes said:

And Jon Economou got our goal in a 1-2 defeat. 

We then played Torquay at home on the 17/8 winning 1-0 (Ritchie). Then Newport at home on the 21/8 losing 1-4 (Chandler).

These games were little more than pre-season friendlies, as we also played games on August 7, 10, 23 and 25.

The season started on the 28/8 when we beat Hull City 2-1 at home (Musker, Riley). Team: same as above except Gary Williams at Left Back and Coops wore the no.9 shirt!

The game on the 23/8 was against an 'All Star XI' and was a benefit Chris Garland.

1 hour ago, Shaun Taylor said:

Good research but it still dosen't explain why all the clubs weren't involved as locally Rovers and Swindon weren't involved 

You're right it doesn't, nor why City weren't involved the previous year. I can only assume the clubs weren't invited or declined to participate.

This competition ran for only 2 years - as the Football League Group Cup in 81/82 and the Football League Trophy in 82/83. It replaced the Anglo-Scottish Cup, which was also a pre-season tournament, when the Scottish clubs decided to withdraw from the competition.

After 82/83 it became the Associate Members Cup for one season, then the Freight Rover, Sherpa Van and so on... Johnstone Paint etc etc. These games were played during the season, rather than as pre-season kick-abouts to get fit. Significantly, the final was moved to Wembley which is perhaps why clubs started to take the competition a bit more seriously. 

3 minutes ago, Merrick's Marvels said:

And Jon Economou got our goal in a 1-2 defeat. 

We then played Torquay at home on the 17/8 winning 1-0 (Ritchie). Then Newport at home on the 21/8 losing 1-4 (Chandler).

These games were little more than pre-season friendlies, as we also played games on August 7, 10, 23 and 25.

The season started on the 28/8 when we beat Hull City 2-1 at home (Musker, Riley). Team: same as above except Gary Williams at Left Back and Coops wore the no.9 shirt!

The game on the 23/8 was against an 'All Star XI' and was a benefit Chris Garland.

You're right it doesn't, nor why City weren't involved the previous year. I can only assume the clubs weren't invited or declined to participate.

This competition ran for only 2 years - as the Football League Group Cup in 81/82 and the Football League Trophy in 82/83. It replaced the Anglo-Scottish Cup, which was also a pre-season tournament, when the Scottish clubs decided to withdraw from the competition.

After 82/83 it became the Associate Members Cup for one season, then the Freight Rover, Sherpa Van etc etc Johnstone Paint...and so on

These games were played during the season, rather than as pre-season kick-abouts to get fit. Significantly, the final was moved to Wembley which is perhaps why clubs started to take the competition a bit more seriously. 

Cheers, now that all makes sense and had no idea that the competition had been going that long 

6 hours ago, City Rocker said:

I went to a league game at Exeter in 1982, to see Terry Cooper's newly assembled team of heroic youngsters lose 4-0.

Travelled on the CATS coach and remember we were singing Papa's Got A Brand New Pigbag, which was riding high in the charts at the time. The only other thing of note I recall is some of our lot steamed into the home 'end' (which was on the side to our right) and cleared it just before kick off.

I probably have the match programme in a box somewhere, but buggered if I know where.

Try the loft, mate. Then the garage. Failing that, cupboard under the stairs?

On 22/05/2020 at 22:30, Simon01 said:

1982–83 Football League Trophy
we were in group f with Newport country and Torquay 

Newport won the group with Torquay as runners up 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1982–83_Football_League_Trophy

Ah, the old Football League Group Cup - fair play. It replaced the Anglo-Scottish Cup for English clubs (and welsh!) but didn’t last long and was replaced by The Football League Trophy for the 1983/84 season ...

Not really going to help the opening poster, but I’ve just dug out my copy.   4 pager.  Mainly pink with a Team picture on the cover, list of upcoming matches team line ups and a few adverts.  Match of the day is great on Grundig colour TV it seems!

Didn’t get much for 10p in those days!

B8497861-87E5-44CD-AF00-FB80FB9BBFF7.jpeg

13 hours ago, Wilf said:

Not really going to help the opening poster, but I’ve just dug out my copy.   4 pager.  Mainly pink with a Team picture on the cover, list of upcoming matches team line ups and a few adverts.  Match of the day is great on Grundig colour TV it seems!

Didn’t get much for 10p in those days!

B8497861-87E5-44CD-AF00-FB80FB9BBFF7.jpeg

Our own Len Bond there,  I see. 

And Tony Kellow was a fine striker for Exeter over many years.

But wait, who's that in the back row?

Yes, don't all laugh at once.... it's Frankie Prince! ???????????????

On 28/05/2020 at 11:13, Merrick's Marvels said:

Our own Len Bond there,  I see. 

And Tony Kellow was a fine striker for Exeter over many years.

But wait, who's that in the back row?

Yes, don't all laugh at once.... it's Frankie Prince! ???????????????

Plus another ex - gas Phil Roberts, and managed by yet another, Brian Godfrey.

At least ex City player Martyn Rogers, along with Len Bond, made supporting that team almost tolerable for the more discerning Exeter fans.

Archived