IGNORED

Hannover?

Unan

A short quote from the article.

‘The Friendship Cup’ celebrated the link during the 1966/67 campaign. There were home and away matches played with City losing out on both occasions!

On November 16th Danny Bartley and John Giles scored in a 3-2 defeat at Ashton Gate, witnessed by 4,599 supporters.

The away final was played in Germany, where 10,000 spectators witnessed the German side’s 2-1 win on May 23rd 1967. Fred Ford scored from the penalty spot.

I remember all three of those players highlighted, but wasn't the latter our manager at the time? I am not being pernickety, but should that not have been Tony Ford who scored the penalty?

1 hour ago, !james said:

Bit odd, must be some sort of sponsorship involved. Never mentioned them before and now social media can't stop 

Probably something (even somewhat) relative to be able to have on social media for content

1 hour ago, Roger Red Hat said:

There used to be, maybe still is, a Bristol-Hannover school exchange programme, just like the Bristol - Bordeaux programme, when I was at school in the 60's.

I  participated in the student exchange back in 1969. Saw Hannover 96 play Hamburg and everyone was cheering "Uwe" (for Uwe Seeler, the Hamburg player)... even the home fans. The guy was a national hero.  Also spent 6 months working in Hannover prior to starting college in '72 and saw a bunch of games at the old Niedersachsenstadion. That place had a lot of character before it was redeveloped. Many fond memories of the city and have followed the team's fortunes ever since.

3 hours ago, PHILINFRANCE said:

‘The Friendship Cup’ celebrated the link during the 1966/67 campaign. There were home and away matches played with City losing out on both occasions!

A few years later (69/70?) City played Bordeaux H & A.

3 hours ago, Natchfever said:

Nice pre season tourno between City, Porto Bordeaux and Hannover?

Never mind the tourno, just a pre season tour. A couple of days between games and we travelling fans could have a City related holiday.

6 minutes ago, wendyredredrobin said:

I always end up with a Hannover after too many bottles of Bordeaux.

Seriously though, a pre season tour or even a tournament with our twin towns would be a great idea.

Just as long as you don't throw up in a Porto loo 

:ph34r:

6 hours ago, PHILINFRANCE said:

On November 16th Danny Bartley and John Giles scored in a 3-2 defeat at Ashton Gate, witnessed by 4,599 supporters.

The away final was played in Germany, where 10,000 spectators witnessed the German side’s 2-1 win on May 23rd 1967. Fred Ford scored from the penalty spot.

I remember all three of those players highlighted, but wasn't the latter our manager at the time? I am not being pernickety, but should that not have been Tony Ford who scored the penalty?

Yeah, I think you're right, Fred Ford would have been 50 then

17 hours ago, Roger Red Hat said:

There used to be, maybe still is, a Bristol-Hannover school exchange programme, just like the Bristol - Bordeaux programme, when I was at school in the 60's.

School in the 60s , wow did you have a lap top ? I would of started school around 1966 the year we won the World Cup. Remember my dad taking me to school in an Austin Cambridge. Brings back many memories.

8 hours ago, Harry said:

Anyone for Guangzhou away? 

F8FA7C3D-3519-43A3-A584-BB3A0428DDFE.jpeg

Just looked up perth in Australia for twin cities. Most are in japan, china and Greece. Also perth in Scotland. With twin cities it is encouraged to interact on business, sharing opportunities, tourism and sharing of gifts. 

I bet there has to be some kind of good single malt coming out of Perth in Scotland some one can send me ?

30 minutes ago, City oz said:

Just looked up perth in Australia for twin cities. Most are in japan, china and Greece. Also perth in Scotland. With twin cities it is encouraged to interact on business, sharing opportunities, tourism and sharing of gifts. 

I bet there has to be some kind of good single malt coming out of Perth in Scotland some one can send me ?

You in the way of that mega storm BBC news is on about mate? Stay safe if you are.

Archived