IGNORED

Hannover?

Unan

1 hour ago, City oz said:

School in the 60s , wow did you have a lap top ? I would of started school around 1966 the year we won the World Cup. Remember my dad taking me to school in an Austin Cambridge. Brings back many memories.

I started school in ‘58 when I was 5! My dad didn’t have a car so it was bus or walk!

I have always believed that we should have an annual, bi-annual, or tri-annual football tournament with Hanover, Bordeaux, who were the first twinning arrangements Bristol entered into after the last World War. To have undertaken a twinning with a city that we had been at war with two or three years earlier, told me that Bristol was a forward looking City and deserved tremendous credit.

Likewise, to twin with Bordeaux also gave a signal that we supported what they had done for freedom during that terrible period in our history. The signing of Alec Eisentrager, a year later, confirmed that our Football Club were also willing to look forward rather than back. 

Such a shame that we, as a country, have now preferred to become so insular!

13 hours ago, Lanterne Rouge said:

You in the way of that mega storm BBC news is on about mate? Stay safe if you are.

Yes.no power for 9 hours so far. It is wide spread winds over 100klms  Trees down every where

We're twinned with some nice places, Porto is fantastic. I did the Bordeaux and Hanover exchanges while at school in the early 80s. Still in contact and welcomed the daughter of my German exchange to our house last year, which was nice. I saw Bordeaux beat Nantes in about 83/4 with Alain Giresse, Tigana and Battiston playing for Bordeaux. Both Hanover and Bordeaux stadiums were quite interesting at the time. Bordeaux was an oval with a vaulted roof all the way around with fans sat on the banked cycle track around the pitch. Hanover was located next to a huge lake, the Maschsee. The floodlights looked like 4 enormous angled steel girders that seemed to defy gravity.

On 25/05/2020 at 14:38, Lanterne Rouge said:

Look after yourself and keep in touch if you can mate, hopefully you`re past the worst now?

All good now. No power for 24 hours. Everything that was not tied down flew through the air 

Archived