IGNORED

If you could go back in time and watch any game live, that did not involve your club or country, what would it be?

Unan

17 hours ago, pongo88 said:

Hengrove Athletic 3 - 9 Melbury Utd. I scored a hat trick. What I match!

These days there are videos on the internet showing goals from every level of football - not so in my playing days.

I can think back to 3 or 4 special goals ( in one case pretty spectacular). As I'm playing in the games concerned it's no good me going back,  but I would nominate someone else to go back with their modern mobile phone to film my goals, so I could re-watch them.

I might well be disappointed that the goals were not as good as I remember, but I would still love to see to relive some of my youth.

7 minutes ago, downendcity said:

These days there are videos on the internet showing goals from every level of football - not so in my playing days.

I can think back to 3 or 4 special goals ( in one case pretty spectacular). As I'm playing in the games concerned it's no good me going back,  but I would nominate someone else to go back with their modern mobile phone to film my goals, so I could re-watch them.

I might well be disappointed that the goals were not as good as I remember, but I would still love to see to relive some of my youth.

I have the same thoughts as remember goals scored outside the penalty box  by the likes of Peter Lorimer & Bruce Ricoh seemed more exciting than modern day football  

20 hours ago, Bar BS3 said:

I was at the 2nd 4-3 game, the following season. 

That wasn't bad either. 

Yes that's the one. Was my mates 18th birthday treat. 

We were expecting a 0-0, after the previous season..! 

25 minutes ago, ExiledAjax said:

How about the highest scoring game from the very first day of the Football League? Derby 6-3 Bolton on 8 September 1888?

Would they have been Frank Lampard/Wayne Rooney's Derby County back then?

Always quite liked Croatia, flair side in the 1990s- less so in recent decades, not least Wembley 2007, Zagreb 2006 and of course the WC 2018 but skilful side.

Germany 0 v Croatia 3 WC QF- their first WC, demolished Euro 96 holders- could be quite a good one to be at IMO.

In fact Eastern Europe has produced some fine sides- right now not so much, though some decent ones still about.

Romania 3 v Argentina 2, WC 1994- bit of a classic.

Bulgaria 3 v Germany 2 1995 Euro qualifier- I read a match report of it, Germany even had the luxury of a 2 goal lead. That was Stoichkov's Bulgaria, very good side for 5-6 years in the 1990s.

Indeed this was a near mirror image, apart from the scoreline of the WC game mentioned higher up the thread!

Same qualifying campaign, Croatia I guess announced themselves on World stage, or European at least. Away to Italy? Check. WC Finalists? Check. First qualification campaign? Check. Winners? Croatia, 2-1.

Club level- Barcelona 5 v Real Madrid 0 about a decade ago- quite the spectacle!  Not one Mourinho and co would have remembered fondly however...

39 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Always quite liked Croatia, flair side in the 1990s- less so in recent decades, not least Wembley 2007, Zagreb 2006 and of course the WC 2018 but skilful side.

Germany 0 v Croatia 3 WC QF- their first WC, demolished Euro 96 holders- could be quite a good one to be at IMO.

In fact Eastern Europe has produced some fine sides- right now not so much, though some decent ones still about.

Romania 3 v Argentina 2, WC 1994- bit of a classic.

Bulgaria 3 v Germany 2 1995 Euro qualifier- I read a match report of it, Germany even had the luxury of a 2 goal lead. That was Stoichkov's Bulgaria, very good side for 5-6 years in the 1990s.

Indeed this was a near mirror image, apart from the scoreline of the WC game mentioned higher up the thread!

Same qualifying campaign, Croatia I guess announced themselves on World stage, or European at least. Away to Italy? Check. WC Finalists? Check. First qualification campaign? Check. Winners? Croatia, 2-1.

Club level- Barcelona 5 v Real Madrid 0 about a decade ago- quite the spectacle!  Not one Mourinho and co would have remembered fondly however...

Davor Sukers goal at Hillsbrough during the 96 euros against Denmark 

10 hours ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

You don’t think the ones who said they wanted to go back in time to watch an England game are English ... fair enough 

I'm English but I wanted to watch Holland...…. the match I listed just happened to be against England ?

I am going to ignore the thread title, in true OTIB fashion, and suggest England 0 - 1 USA in the 1950 World Cup. In 1950 England was probably the best team in the world. It was the beginning of years of disappointing performances by England in cup competitions. England had nearly all of the possession and chances but lost. Apparently the England keeper turned up wearing a sombrero and smoking cigars and only touched the ball six times in the whole game. One of those was obviously to pick the ball out of the net. A reason for choosing this match is it reminds me of watching City. So near yet so far. A lifetime of suffering  

I think for witnessing one of the great remarkable moments of history, it would be the 2014 Brazil - Germany Semi-Final but, in reality, whilst the first twenty first minutes were the most incredible thing I've ever seen, it was obviously a bit of a non-contest from then on.

For a game that's not massively significant but was packed full of entertainment, this Tottenham - Man City FA Cup tie from 2004 has pretty much everything a neutral could want:

For pure emotion as a football fan for me I’d loved to have been a Watford fan in that play off game against Leicester....doesn’t get much better than this i don’t think 

- 96 mins in to the game 

9 hours ago, Rob k said:

For pure emotion as a football fan for me I’d loved to have been a Watford fan in that play off game against Leicester....doesn’t get much better than this i don’t think 

- 96 mins in to the game 

I have friends who are United fans, and they had the pleasure of being in Barcelona in 1999. I also know some Liverpool fans who went to Istanbul in 2005. Would be hard to top either of those experiences if you were personally invested in the game.

There was a WW2 friendly, Germany vs a scratch Allies side. I think Pele and Russell Osman were in the Allies side with an impressive American goalie. One sided first half -  I wasn’t sure the Allies would come out for the second half but they did. And by golly, they managed to snatch victory. Someone should make a movie about it. Would have been good to see live.

4 hours ago, WarksRobin said:

There was a WW2 friendly, Germany vs a scratch Allies side. I think Pele and Russell Osman were in the Allies side with an impressive American goalie. One sided first half -  I wasn’t sure the Allies would come out for the second half but they did. And by golly, they managed to snatch victory. Someone should make a movie about it. Would have been good to see live.

I thought it was a draw, a last minute penalty save kept it at 4-4

On 25/05/2020 at 19:49, Lucan said:

City 0 Hull 1

On 25/05/2020 at 19:51, Seneca the Younger said:

How peculiar 

Perhaps Lucan thinks that by going back to watch it again there will be a different result.

18 hours ago, Rob k said:

- 96 mins in to the game 

From the Oxford English Dictionary of Definitions:

"Clutching defeat from the jaws of victory"  -  Anthony Knockaert's play off penalty miss. 

Archived