IGNORED

34 years ago today...

glynriley

My sister was born & my dad hasn't stopped complaining since 

3 minutes ago, Seneca the Younger said:

My sister was born & my dad hasn't stopped complaining since 

Queue the "stopped complaining about missing the game" or "stopped complaining about your sister" jokes 

I was 10 years old and only started going to watch games the season before. So many of us went down on the train together, Dad, brother, uncles, cousins and friends. One season following City and we went to Wembley and won!

It's a very important footballing memory for me, really helped seal the deal that made me a fan for life. Brilliant day.

Simply the best .To win at Wembley was an incredible feeling.I was nearly 16 and to see my team that had nearly gone bust a few yrs earlier win something was an immense feeling.

The night we actually got there as well was an absolutely crazy night.

city are back city are back allo allo

Terry Cooper and all of team deserve knighthoods!!

I managed to give Keith Curle my City ski hat on the open bus tour on the bank holiday Monday.Walked miles that day.

Happy memories.come back soon football

Fantastic memories, my team playing at Wembley!!! Back then only England and FA Cup finals were played there so it really was special. I remember fans singing and dancing with eachother before the match outside on Wembley Way. So proud of my team, the players truly deserved their moment in club history. 

5 hours ago, glynriley said:

Epic day

74B67A5E-DFF3-45EF-8FC8-F9491AF3AD28.thumb.jpeg.8aa2239bf4a51bdeb71fe1124591e600.jpeg

Thanks for that. 34 years today was my first game I ever watched. Can remember the coach journey & absolutely cracking up when City scored. Have no idea why, just the roar of the crowd that started me off. Have the programme in mint condition. What a day & have been hooked since. COYR 

A very special day for me. I had been to Wembley previously to see Eusebio for Portugal in 1961, Brasil and Rest of the World in 1963 with stars like Di Stefano, Yashin to drool over. Later, the England World Cup winners playing Russia.

But 1986 with Terry Cooper's team of, with due respect, has been, never was's and maybe's representing my club Bristol City, stands out above anything that preceded it at Wembley for me.

Only exceeded by winning promotion to Division One in 1976 and maybe Kevin Mabbutt's hat trick at Old Trafford. But still an absolute dream of a day.

5 hours ago, Isawjonshaw said:

I remember looking up at the Twin Towers and being blown away!  The stadium was huge, but remember thinking how small the pitch was!  Great, great day.

Our pitch at Ashton Gate was bigger than the old Wembley pitch - “wide open spaces at Wembley, renowned for causing cramp” my arse!!

6 hours ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

Our pitch at Ashton Gate was bigger than the old Wembley pitch - “wide open spaces at Wembley, renowned for causing cramp” my arse!!

I always thought it was because Wembley was so lush (not in the Bristol sense)and green it caused problems, no one had grass on much of their pitch after about Christmas time back then. You had a choice of mud or sand! Playing on beautiful long turf really took it out of players!

10 hours ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

I believe at that time City's pitch was pretty much the biggest in the league. I have a feeling Arsenal may have had the smallest.

Archived