IGNORED

LJ interview about fake crowd noise being used

Malago

Championship clubs returned to training today with the head coach of Bristol City, Lee Johnson, having spoken to his black players to allay any fears they may have of resuming action and risking infection with Covid-19.

Johnson has also been addressing the mental health of players cooped up during lockdown, with professional help on standby, and talked with his chief executive, Mark Ashton, about asking the EFL if they can pipe crowd music into Ashton Gate if and when they resume behind closed doors.

Johnson read the report from the Department for Digital, Culture, Media and Sport permitting footballers to move back to contact work, and envisages initial issues with tackling in particular. “That’s probably one of the most difficult challenges an individual has to face,” Johnson, 38, said. “I saw the news reports today that the government moved to contact being allowed. I’m pretty sure that would be at least a week, ten days away before clubs like us can start to implement that.

“Depending on when the season starts you’ll probably need a couple of weeks of the boys getting comfortable with contact. It’s like anything: if you haven’t had a fight in ten years and all of sudden you’ve got to fight it’s going to be very, very difficult. That’s the same with contacts on the football pitch.

“We’ve got to find ways to do that as safely as possible, obviously. In 11 v 11 games, there were some statistics that said actually you’re only in contact with other individuals between five and seven minutes of that 95 minutes. We’re going to have to find ways in training to trim that down even more where possible but not be disorganised. That’s a challenge but certainly as a coach that’s something that I would relish rather than be fearful of.”

All his squad reported to training at Failand on Monday and Johnson is mindful of concerns among black and ethnic minority players about figures indicating Covid-19’s greater threat to them. “We spoke to all our players individually as well as a group,” Johnson said. “Our first priority is to make sure not only that they are safe but they feel safe.

“Any questions the boys had have been well answered by the medical staff like the doctor, the Covid officers. The players have been as good as gold. They trust the club. You saw with the fact that when they made the deferrals in their wage it was a very easy process.”

He noted the Professional Footballers’ Association report detailing the number of its members voicing fears over their mental health. “That’s been at the forefront of our minds,” Johnson said. “Any individual or family that’s been locked up if you like in this situation would have had their moments. I’m pretty sure of that. It wouldn’t have been plain sailing for anybody. My family is no different and the players have been no different.

“We have a couple of lads, foreign players, who don’t have girlfriends and are on their own in a one-bed flat, two-bed flat in Bristol and that can be difficult particularly when you’re an athlete like they are, somebody that’s very competitive and used to being out every day in the open air and been able to use that physicality and aggression they’ve got. Mental health in this day and age has to be something that the club, not just the team, is really in tune with. We’ve got a fantastic set-up here where we try and really determine the difference between performance anxiety and mental health.”

The club have been advising their players on handling criticism online. “The spiral effects of social media can sometimes be damaging so we try and educate the players first and foremost on having the tools to deal with different situations, but if it does go beyond professional football then obviously we pass them on to true professionals in their field that can help them and give them every opportunity to feel as good as they can be again.”

Johnson has found the lockdown frustrating, but has enjoyed time with his family. “It has definitely taught us things, even to myself as a coach that loves the game and works from 7am to 11pm and it’s often the family gets what’s left of me. That’s not ideal so this period has been nice to be truly present with them. Six, seven years on that hamster wheel of management means that it’s not the worst thing in the world to have the break and also to reflect.

“For us as a football club it wouldn’t be the worst thing in the world. We’ve got people like Benik Afobe coming back [from injury] and he’s almost like a new signing for us. He’s trained now two days in a row once with me individually and then with a group today and he looks very, very good.”

He has looked at the challenges of playing behind closed doors, taking inspiration from Borussia Mönchengladbach in the Bundesliga. “I was even thinking of opening my own cardboard cut-out business. I saw Gladbach sold 12,000 at €19 each. I could see my nan cutting out all the cardboards of all the fans!

“If I was a fan, I would want my cardboard cut-out sat in the seat in the home game and then — I don’t know! — get the lads to sign it and then when we’re over all this, they get it back as a bit of a fun.

“If we can’t play in front of fans, I think the crowd noise is interesting. I’ve seen it in South Korea and it looked like it worked quite well, if the timing was good. We have discussed the crowd noise and we’re ready to go if we decide to do that but it’s got to be something that is broader than just Bristol City. I’m pretty sure that will be discussed by the EFL.”

7 hours ago, Malago said:

Championship clubs returned to training today with the head coach of Bristol City, Lee Johnson, having spoken to his black players to allay any fears they may have of resuming action and risking infection with Covid-19.

Johnson has also been addressing the mental health of players cooped up during lockdown, with professional help on standby, and talked with his chief executive, Mark Ashton, about asking the EFL if they can pipe crowd music into Ashton Gate if and when they resume behind closed doors.

Johnson read the report from the Department for Digital, Culture, Media and Sport permitting footballers to move back to contact work, and envisages initial issues with tackling in particular. “That’s probably one of the most difficult challenges an individual has to face,” Johnson, 38, said. “I saw the news reports today that the government moved to contact being allowed. I’m pretty sure that would be at least a week, ten days away before clubs like us can start to implement that.

“Depending on when the season starts you’ll probably need a couple of weeks of the boys getting comfortable with contact. It’s like anything: if you haven’t had a fight in ten years and all of sudden you’ve got to fight it’s going to be very, very difficult. That’s the same with contacts on the football pitch.

“We’ve got to find ways to do that as safely as possible, obviously. In 11 v 11 games, there were some statistics that said actually you’re only in contact with other individuals between five and seven minutes of that 95 minutes. We’re going to have to find ways in training to trim that down even more where possible but not be disorganised. That’s a challenge but certainly as a coach that’s something that I would relish rather than be fearful of.”

All his squad reported to training at Failand on Monday and Johnson is mindful of concerns among black and ethnic minority players about figures indicating Covid-19’s greater threat to them. “We spoke to all our players individually as well as a group,” Johnson said. “Our first priority is to make sure not only that they are safe but they feel safe.

“Any questions the boys had have been well answered by the medical staff like the doctor, the Covid officers. The players have been as good as gold. They trust the club. You saw with the fact that when they made the deferrals in their wage it was a very easy process.”

He noted the Professional Footballers’ Association report detailing the number of its members voicing fears over their mental health. “That’s been at the forefront of our minds,” Johnson said. “Any individual or family that’s been locked up if you like in this situation would have had their moments. I’m pretty sure of that. It wouldn’t have been plain sailing for anybody. My family is no different and the players have been no different.

“We have a couple of lads, foreign players, who don’t have girlfriends and are on their own in a one-bed flat, two-bed flat in Bristol and that can be difficult particularly when you’re an athlete like they are, somebody that’s very competitive and used to being out every day in the open air and been able to use that physicality and aggression they’ve got. Mental health in this day and age has to be something that the club, not just the team, is really in tune with. We’ve got a fantastic set-up here where we try and really determine the difference between performance anxiety and mental health.”

The club have been advising their players on handling criticism online. “The spiral effects of social media can sometimes be damaging so we try and educate the players first and foremost on having the tools to deal with different situations, but if it does go beyond professional football then obviously we pass them on to true professionals in their field that can help them and give them every opportunity to feel as good as they can be again.”

Johnson has found the lockdown frustrating, but has enjoyed time with his family. “It has definitely taught us things, even to myself as a coach that loves the game and works from 7am to 11pm and it’s often the family gets what’s left of me. That’s not ideal so this period has been nice to be truly present with them. Six, seven years on that hamster wheel of management means that it’s not the worst thing in the world to have the break and also to reflect.

“For us as a football club it wouldn’t be the worst thing in the world. We’ve got people like Benik Afobe coming back [from injury] and he’s almost like a new signing for us. He’s trained now two days in a row once with me individually and then with a group today and he looks very, very good.”

He has looked at the challenges of playing behind closed doors, taking inspiration from Borussia Mönchengladbach in the Bundesliga. “I was even thinking of opening my own cardboard cut-out business. I saw Gladbach sold 12,000 at €19 each. I could see my nan cutting out all the cardboards of all the fans!

“If I was a fan, I would want my cardboard cut-out sat in the seat in the home game and then — I don’t know! — get the lads to sign it and then when we’re over all this, they get it back as a bit of a fun.

“If we can’t play in front of fans, I think the crowd noise is interesting. I’ve seen it in South Korea and it looked like it worked quite well, if the timing was good. We have discussed the crowd noise and we’re ready to go if we decide to do that but it’s got to be something that is broader than just Bristol City. I’m pretty sure that will be discussed by the EFL.”

Very sensible comments from LJ there.  

1 minute ago, ITK..... said:

Waste of time trying? 

You had a meeting with the stadium manager and you didn't turn up. 

So you need to shut up moaning. 

I’ve met up MKelly since twice in fact and still nothing has been done to clarify the muffled Dolman PA system. That must be close to 5 years now. 

1 hour ago, Robbored said:

I’ve met up MKelly since twice in fact and still nothing has been done to clarify the muffled Dolman PA system. That must be close to 5 years now. 

Are we sure that it is the PA system that is ‘ muffled ‘ and not the reduced hearing capacity of the old boys in the stand ? 

6 minutes ago, Major Isewater said:

Are we sure that it is the PA system that is ‘ muffled ‘ and not the reduced hearing capacity of the old boys in the stand ? 

If your seat was in the Dolman you’d know the answer to your question.

2 hours ago, Major Isewater said:

He can never hear it because he's too busy either moaning or trying to wind people up I would expect.

So nice reading the forum with certain people blocked may I add :cool2:

Watched the Bayer Leverkusen v Bayern Munich match on BT Sport today, as well as flicking through the other games showing at the time, and was really surprised how the well fake crowd noise worked in comparison with the "training match atmosphere" of the other Bundesliga games.

Would agree with Gary Lineker's opinions on this, and have to admit that, prior to this game, I was very cynical about having the crowd noise. 

29303338-8394953-image-a-3_1591461107314

19 minutes ago, New Dazzler said:

Watched the Bayer Leverkusen v Bayern Munich match on BT Sport today, as well as flicking through the other games showing at the time, and was really surprised how the well fake crowd noise worked in comparison with the "training match atmosphere" of the other Bundesliga games.

Would agree with Gary Lineker's opinions on this, and have to admit that, prior to this game, I was very cynical about having the crowd noise. 

29303338-8394953-image-a-3_1591461107314

It certainly was much improved. if you weren`t actually watching intently (I was working and had it on in the background) it sounded quite `normal`.

It’s interesting that apparently Nottingham  Forest are training at The City Ground and not at their Wilford Lane training ground. This is so they can used to playing in their stadium without Fans and noise.
I wonder if this is something that City may consider as training progresses. 

Archived