IGNORED

Bit harsh isn't it.

pogue malone

6 hours ago, RedSkin said:

You've chosen a username that is a pun on Irish for Kiss My Arse, and then post defending someone calling an Irishman a pikey??!! 

If you can't change your views, change your username.  You're not worthy of it.

Pogue Mahone ??☘️

Ironic coming from someone whose username can be considered a racist term.

On 28/05/2020 at 04:19, JamesBCFC said:

You are comparing two different things.

I used to wind up a French mate with some jokes based on stereotypes and he'd do the same.

The critical thing is tone and context.

The same applies to terrace chants, for the most part.

Exactly, I've been in Oz since 1970 & am often called a "Pommie B*****d" by my best mates, which is a term of endearment in the manner they use it. If it was said in anger it would be a totally different story.

On 27/05/2020 at 19:07, JamesBCFC said:

No it wasn't. 

The Irish player reacted to it and asked what was said.

It was then repeated. 

Don't make excuses for racial abuse.

Maybe try going up to a black person and saying "Shut up n-----" and see if they accept that as banter.

'Pikey' does seem to be one of those terms that some people think is okay and others don't. When my son used to box, one of the lads at his club was known as and quite openly called 'Mikey the Pikey'. One day, totally out of the blue , one of the coaches shouted out his name to help put the bags away and Mikey loudly  replied with 'Okay *Racist Term Removed'. Obviously you could have head a pin drop, but he just followed it up with 'Don't call me Pikey' , and from that day on he was just known as Mikey.

I'm not sure what or if that proves anything, other than if someone doesn't like being called something, you shouldn't call them it.

20 hours ago, The Journalist said:

I do find it bonkers that every time a footballer gets charged/banned/fine for abusing another player (however you want to categorise that abuse) a lengthy thread ensues on OTIB about what is and isn't offensive. The only word we're still missing, as far as I can tell, is "snowflake".

It doesn't say much for us/society, does it? Can't we all just agree we should probably be less unpleasant to each other?

Shitheads, the lot of you.

2 hours ago, pogue malone said:

Ditto with yours, keep using the vagasil

This may be a massive whoosh from me but I think you are calling me a see you next tuesday for pointing out that redskin can be considered a racist term, otherwise I'm completely lost with that comment.

9 hours ago, bpexile said:

Exactly, I've been in Oz since 1970 & am often called a "Pommie B*****d" by my best mates, which is a term of endearment in the manner they use it. If it was said in anger it would be a totally different story.

I had the same experience when I lived there. Mostly it was in jest and a sense of humour prevailed. People can be such sensitive snowflakes these days. My first job in Adelaide was with a German company called Wender & Duerholt. They employed mostly people of German descent who would give a 16 yo pommie newbe like me a hard time. In typical Basil Fawlty fashion I reminded then of who won the war. They soon shut up.

5 hours ago, BigTone said:

I had the same experience when I lived there. Mostly it was in jest and a sense of humour prevailed. People can be such sensitive snowflakes these days. My first job in Adelaide was with a German company called Wender & Duerholt. They employed mostly people of German descent who would give a 16 yo pommie newbe like me a hard time. In typical Basil Fawlty fashion I reminded then of who won the war. They soon shut up.

Gday Tone, I expect you're aware of the "Anzac Day" holiday tradition in Oz when all the troops are recognised for they're incredable contributions, well a German neighbour of mine was giving me a hard time on one Anzac day & I reacted immediately by asking him why he was having the celebration day off, because he lost the war. I did regret reacting that way because he is a good bloke but he's never given me s**t since, sometimes things have to be said.

On 27 May 2020 at 18:45, pogue malone said:

6 game ban and £2000 fine for calling a guy a pokey, think that's a bit harsh! 

Yes it was. Football is not an anodyne world. Playing the game is emotional. It's not normal life and should not be judged as such.

8 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

Then should they be allowed to say anything offensive they like?

Do you accept people's emotions alter when they play the game?

People on football pitches become more emotional. The body and mind functions differently. The game itself is offensive, you lose, you can exposed, you can feel out of control, it's full of positives and lots of negatives .. It's not normal life.

That's the context. 

1 minute ago, Cowshed said:

Do you accept people's emotions alter when they play the game?

People on football pitches become more emotional. The body and mind functions differently. The game itself is offensive, you lose, you can exposed, you can feel out of control, it's full of positives and lots of negatives .. It's not normal life.

That's the context. 

Would you accept the use of the N word on the football pitch?

Because in the eyes of the law there is no difference.

https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/law-and-courts/discrimination/protected-characteristics/gypsies-and-travellers-race-discrimination/

https://www.cps.gov.uk/legal-guidance/racist-and-religious-hate-crime-prosecution-guidance

Archived