IGNORED

Rotherham '07

glastonred

Prompted by listening to Bradley Orr's recollection of the promotion match v Rotherham, and him saying it was his best day in football I dusted off my DVD of the game, and have just finished watching it. What a dominant match that was! Everybody played their part in what was a memorable day. It was good also to see players who are often underrated having a great game, e.g. Kevin Betsy, Brian Wilson, (who I always enjoyed watching), and one of my favourite ex-players, Alex Russell. I'm sure other fans have fine memories of that blessed day!

3 hours ago, glastonred said:

Prompted by listening to Bradley Orr's recollection of the promotion match v Rotherham, and him saying it was his best day in football I dusted off my DVD of the game, and have just finished watching it. What a dominant match that was! Everybody played their part in what was a memorable day. It was good also to see players who are often underrated having a great game, e.g. Kevin Betsy, Brian Wilson, (who I always enjoyed watching), and one of my favourite ex-players, Alex Russell. I'm sure other fans have fine memories of that blessed day!

I remember it well and Rotherham fans were excellent, staying behind and applauding us too.

The company I worked for sponsored the programme that day . My reward was to present David Noble with the man of match and also have my picture with him . That all sounds very pleasant and I had a very serious role to play that day in representing the company . 
However the joy of watching city’s promotion coupled with way too much blackthorn meant the picture I had with him was me with my arms around him , shirt hanging out , flies undone( no idea why) and looking ridiculously pissed . David Nobel looked quite bemused. The best thing was that city took a formal photo of that as part of the package so have a huge A3 framed photo of the above !  I didn’t work in that company much longer ..... 

6 hours ago, prankerd said:

To finally be promoted that day was amazing! Going on the pitch afterwards, singing the reds are going up! Was a boiling day too.

I miss that team, david noble and the pissheads...

Lost all hope of getting out of League 1 after coming so close under Wilson.  Been a regular down the Gate for 30 years and I think that’s the number 1 game/day for me.  Noble should have achieved so much more in his career with his talent.  

1 hour ago, Brann-red said:

The company I worked for sponsored the programme that day . My reward was to present David Noble with the man of match and also have my picture with him . That all sounds very pleasant and I had a very serious role to play that day in representing the company . 
However the joy of watching city’s promotion coupled with way too much blackthorn meant the picture I had with him was me with my arms around him , shirt hanging out , flies undone( no idea why) and looking ridiculously pissed . David Nobel looked quite bemused. The best thing was that city took a formal photo of that as part of the package so have a huge A3 framed photo of the above !  I didn’t work in that company much longer ..... 

Ironic David Noble was bemused with you looking pissed

Rotherham didnt know what him them that day.

David noble always delivered in big games, best passer we had in years.

Kevin betsy, i think of wingers we have had in promotion teams, ie exciting and ran at defenders, like gavin or goodridge.

He wasnt one of them.

When we lost at millwall, byfield scoring, when betsy got subbed, the whole away end cheered.

He was terrified that day, and i recall gary took him off early.

He seemed to lack bottle in his game.

I

10 hours ago, The Wild Bunch said:

Lost all hope of getting out of League 1 after coming so close under Wilson.  Been a regular down the Gate for 30 years and I think that’s the number 1 game/day for me.  Noble should have achieved so much more in his career with his talent.  

Indeed.  Noble was quality!

On 28/05/2020 at 16:29, prankerd said:

To finally be promoted that day was amazing! Going on the pitch afterwards, singing the reds are going up! Was a boiling day too.

I miss that team, david noble and the pissheads...

David Noble was a pisshead I'll grant you but GJ had helped to stamp out the drinking culture...

Could've been much more- had a lot of talent but as you say- pisshead!

That was my last weekend running the Ship & Castle, before moving to the old Rising sun & beginning work on turning it into BS3. 

The day following the Rotherham game, we had The Wurzels playing live at the Whitening Yard. 

What a weekend that was..! 

On 28/05/2020 at 19:22, RUSSEL85 said:

I remember it well and Rotherham fans were excellent, staying behind and applauding us too.

10 hours ago, UREDS_91 said:

If i remember correctly the Rotherham fans were brilliant in the corner of the east end, stayed to clap us off for getting promoted too.

You’re welcome :ph34r:

What a day. I had won the OTIB Prediction league and was very kindly offered tickets in the boardroom which for a then almost 18 year old was quite surreal. To this day, I am humbled how lovely Marina Dolman was towards me and my Dad, as was Maggie Lansdown. I only had 5 cans of Blackthorn but remember trying to remain my composure throughout!

When the players celebrated in the Directors box after the game I'm just behind the team, was an incredible day!

I remember after the game once the celebrations had died down saying to Steve Lansdown we should sign Chris Iwelmo, who was doing well at Colchester at the time, but sadly we didn't sign him until a few years later when he wasn't quite the same player after a few injuries.

Archived