IGNORED

Football Lab.....

The Chaplain

I, and a few others, have been contacted by Gab Sutton, who runs the football lab website and twitter account, for a thing he’s doing on City. I thought I’d post his questions,  and my responses, here ...

Historically, Bristol City have been a club that have floated between the second and third tiers of English football. Now, though, with Steve Lansdown’s running of the club and a much improved stadium, would you say the structural foundations are in place to bring top flight football to Ashton Gate for the first time since 1980?

Absolutely, although the phrase 'Premier League club in waiting' can be over used, there's no doubt that the infrastructure is now there to support and sustain a promotion push.  It may be though, with other clubs similarly investing, that we have only been provided with the opportunity to, at least, stay in touch with the promotion chasing contenders each season ... although the new tranche of parachute payments every year could put a question mark over even that.  Certainly nothing is guaranteed, but we are in a strong position, not only because of Steve Lansdown's money, but because of him being a local supporter, who has demonstrated longevity and loyalty over the years.   

My outsider’s perception would be that City fans are split down the middle on Lee Johnson. Firstly, what is your opinion on the work he has done as manager? Secondly, do you think the groups who are pro- and anti-Johnson generally had the same feelings towards him during his playing days?

I think both your perception and inclination are correct.  Fans are split, it may appear 50/50 on forums and social media, my sense is it is more 80/20 in term of actual fans in the city and at the ground ... in support of the manager.  Whenever we go on a bad run, there are many who are more than ready to criticise sooner rather than later and are conspicuously quiet in more prosperous times.  I agree this division can, more often than not, be traced back to Lee's playing days, perceived nepotism, when he played under his father, still grating with a vocal minority. For myself, I'm a firm supporter, he appears to me to be an intelligent, hard working and talented coach who has done well given the circumstances of the club, its buying/selling policy and general status within the division.  I've had occasional criticisms but I'm certain we could do a lot worse.  

You’ve used seven different formations in 2019-20. Do you admire Johnson’s tendency to keep opponents guessing? Alternatively, do you think the lack of tactical consistency keeps your own players guessing?

I do admire his tactical thinking, although I do worry at times he might over-think, perhaps even over-coach, and lose the cutting instincts of some of his most naturally gifted players.  The lack of tactical consistency is not so much my issue, more the apparent lack of an overall playing identity, although this has been much vaunted.  For a few years it was clear, fast moving, high pressing, technically gifted and possession based.   This season it seems to have become more counter attacking based, although I'm not certain that's been by design.  Having said that, we've more than held our own, not least because of the coach's ability to enable his players to adapt.   

Daniel Bentley joined last summer after a tough final season at Brentford. Has he deserved 35 out of a possible 37 league starts over Niki Maenpaa?

He has, he began confidently and, for the first half of the season hardly put a foot wrong, becoming a strong contender, even at that stage, for 'player of the season'.  Not only because of his keeping, but his general character and demeanour.  He seemed to quickly become one of the leaders of the group.    After Christmas, he wasn't quite so good, made a few mistakes and got injured.  Maenpaa came in and looked assured too, no one worries when he plays and, it could be argued, as the man in possession, he deserves to play more. I believe Bentley's fit again now though and is likely to be first choice whenever we return.   

Jack Hunt, I’d suggest, has often relied on his attacking drive at this level as his main selling point. Does he still have that at 29? Should he remain first choice? Or would you want to bring in another technical right-back/wing-back like loanee Pedro Pereira?

Jack Hunt has been an effective performer for us, without being outstanding.  He is definitely more adept as going forward than defending and his crossing has been a real plus point.  A few assists and a goal or two, always helps.  Defensively he's been less impressive, while not being a liability.   Pereira, when he's played, has fitted in well, without being exceptional.  He's young and may well have the capacity to improve, both in his performances and sell-on value, although I'm not convinced that he's worth the sort of prices that are being quoted, in order to make his move permanent.  Right back is a position we need to tie down though, it's been something of a weak spot for a number of years.

Tomas Kalas seemed to start last season well but after he came back in mid-December, you conceded 15 in the nine games he started. Do you think the interlude will help him work on his fitness and eradicate any issues his injuries might have caused him?

Kalas certainly hasn't been the player this season that he was last.  That may be his injury, the lack of a consistent partner (let alone one as accomplished as Adam Webster) or the lack of that slight edge having now secured a permanent deal.  If the former, then he certainly should be abe to kick on for the remainder of the season, he certainly has all the attributes and would be my first name on the team sheet in terms of centre-half.

Nathan Baker looks a reasonably established Championship centre-back and Ashley Williams brings a wealth of international experience too. Does that pairing, though, leave you short on pace? Hoping to see more of Taylor Moore next season?

Baker is something of an enigma, a colossus on his day but, for such a physical player, he seems extraordinarily fragile.  The number of times he has had to go off in the first half of games is bizarre.  If he could stay fit he is still a definite asset and would be vying for a regular starting spot for sure.  Willams did really well for us when he came in, as we were really stretched for cover.  He played more than probably even he expected and, up until the most recent games did well.  Whether he has a longer term future at the club I imagine depends on if they can find him some accompanying coaching responsibilities.  I wouldn't want to see him blocking the pathway of either Taylor Moore or Zak Vyner.   Taylor Moore is quality, many were sad to see him loaned out, but I could see the benefit of his getting games.  He has mistakes in him, but ultimately, could become the inheritor of Webster's  mantle of defensive playmaker, something the team really needs if it's to find it's intended identity again.

Jay Dasilva had a reputation at Charlton for being very adventurous and therefore impressive going forward, but a bit of a defensive liability. Have you seen any signs of Dasilva maturing in certain aspects of his game?

I'm a big fan of Dasilva, I believe we suffered more than we knew with his absence at the start of the season.  Not only because of the loss of his individual performances, especially his ability to carry the ball, but in the way it affected the overall shape of the team, with Tommy Rowe, stepping in to do a great job defensively, but reducing our penetrative qualities considerably.    Obviously, Dasilva's stature is always going to make him defensively vulnerable in certain circumstances, but overall, he's defended well. Over all, one of our best players. 

Your drop in form coincided directly with Josh Brownhill’s late January exit to Burnley. Do you wonder what might have been had you kept Brownhill and had Adam Nagy, Kasey Palmer plus Han-Noah Massengo been able to stay fit? You’d have had one of the best midfields in the division…

I was a fan of Josh Brownhill, an accomplished and talented all round footballer, but I wouldn't make such a direct correlation between his leaving and our drop in form.  We were pretty poor in midfield for a fair few games when he was playing there, before he left, and our inability to dominate in that area of the pitch has been an issue for a while.  Korey Smith's prolonged absence hasn't helped, as he provided much needed bite, and I do agree the presence of Massengo, Palmer and Nagy, not to mention the return of Walsh and Smodizcs, maybe even Bakinson, should mean that we ought to be able to find the right balance in the middle of the park, while still benefiting from the Brownhill fee.  

Callum O’Dowda always struck me as your classic, old-school winger who will get up and down the flank, take on the opposing right-back and maybe put in the odd cross. How do you feel about Johnson’s decision to move him into midfield for four games?

I know what you mean about O'Dowda but, more often than not, he flattered to deceive as a winger, and didn't affect games as much as he should have.  Perhaps 1 in 5 he might make a significant impact, but no more than that.  Johnson clearly likes his work rate though, as opposed to say Palmer, so gives him opportunities.  Martin O'Neil played him centrally for Ireland and so it wasn't unreasonable to try him there, especially given our struggle to get the right midfield balance.  It's fair to say though it's not been a complete success and the jury is still out on his long term future at the club.  Personally, if we return to a back 3, I could see him emerge as a wing back.

You’ve operated with a back-three in 17 league games this season. Are the benefits of a back-three, in your eyes, worth the downside of leaving the Championship’s best crosser of a ball in Niclas Eliasson out of the XI?

Again, it's all a question of balance and the sort of identity we want to pursue.  Without an out and out finisher, our best source of goals was Eliasson supplying crosses to the likes of Diedhiou from a 4-4-2.  Arguably though, with the acquisition of Wells, the best use of our best players would see him, Afobe and Palmer linking more centrally, and that would work best in a narrower shape with a 3-5-2,  Finding effective midfield cover is key for me, rather than the numbers in defence.  It's always good to see Eliasson on the pitch for his delivery, but I understand the manager's issue, in that, up to now, he offers little else, especially out of possession, even when compared to someone like O'Dowda. 

Andreas Weimann seems to be one of the most underrated players in the Championship, for me – he seems to get through a lot of selfless work. Do you prefer him up top, out wide or behind a main striker?

Certainly under-rated, a tireless worker with extraordinary energy and commitment.  He has a decent goal scoring record with us too, when operating centrally.  Whether you'd play him there with Diedhiou, Wells and Afobe all fit though is debatable, and would you rather his energy out wide, at the expense of the aforementioned assist machine that is Eliasson?  Johnson has called him 'undropable' and he's very much a coach's favourite but I do wonder where he fits in our best team/formation.

With forwards like Weimann and Famara Diedhiou, who of course gives you that reference point from deep, you can never question their application – but Nahki Wells is likely to be a bit greedier and perhaps more ruthless in front of goal. Are you excited to see what he can do in a City shirt?

We certainly needed a greater goal threat and I was happy with the Wells signing.  Famara is, for me, one of the best around at what he does as a No. 9, but I'm most excited in seeing Afobe back and being able to run off the shoulders of defenders, giving a passing target for our creative midfielders to find

It looks likely you’ll be playing Championship football next season… so how do you reflect on 2019-20 as a whole?

To maintain a promotion challenge, and be consistent in the top 10, given, again, selling our best players, is no mean feat and is to be applauded in itself.  I like the model that the club is working on, to invest in young players and develop them, makes good sense in terms of sustainability and, this season we've continued to do that without faltering too badly in the table.  The style of play though has deteriorated this year, not helped by injuries to key personnel, the home form, in particular has been poor, but the potential in the squad in clearly evident.  That could be frustrating, and the manager might be judged, by some, not to be getting the best out of everyone, or just be considered par for the course, with a youngish emerging squad, which always has us wondering what's still to come.  There will though come a time when the readiness, and the ambition referred to in your first question, will need to be realised, before those other than the usual suspects, begin to get impatient.  

29 minutes ago, The Chaplain said:

:laugh: sorry, what they call a long read! I didn’t realise quite how long until I cut and pasted it ...

Good, insightful questions and honest, well thought out answers. Fair play to both of you.

I am looking forward to reading the whole article when it is done.

Archived