IGNORED

Gloucestershire Cup

Mr X

Question for stato’s, does anyone know why City have always and continue to play in the Gloucestershire Cup instead of the Somerset Cup? With Bedminster being south of the river it would have historically been in Somerset and has never been part of Gloucestershire?

• Admin
47 minutes ago, Mr X said:

Question for stato’s, does anyone know why City have always and continue to play in the Gloucestershire Cup instead of the Somerset Cup? With Bedminster being south of the river it would have historically been in Somerset and has never been part of Gloucestershire?

Oddly they used to play in the Somerset Premier Cup

45 minutes ago, Busterrimes said:

All Bristol clubs going down to parks level are members of the Gloucestershire FA

Unless they are affiliated to Somerset as all Bristol clubs are that compete in the Somerset Senior League.

2 minutes ago, Oh Louie louie said:

A City supporting neighbour of mine, came on for rovers and scored with one of his first touchs for rovers against us in the gloucester cup in the 80s.

He hailed from ashton, anyone name him.

He was well known as a city fan.

Jeff meacham OLL?..... 

Bristol is a county in its own right and has been since 1373, although large parts of what is regarded as being in Bristol is in other counties - eg Kingswood is the South Gloucestershire 

1 hour ago, Oh Louie louie said:

A City supporting neighbour of mine, came on for rovers and scored with one of his first touchs for rovers against us in the gloucester cup in the 80s.

He hailed from ashton, anyone name him.

He was well known as a city fan.

Ian Holloway ?

9 minutes ago, wendyredredrobin said:

I rather miss the pre season Gloucestershire Cup final between City and Rovers.  Anyone remember why it was scrapped and could it be reinstated, especially as a local derby looks very unlikely in the foreseeable future.

I remember at one point both managers agreeing it was too intense for a pre-season game and players were picking up injuries so it was agreed to scrap it

3 hours ago, Busterrimes said:

All Bristol clubs going down to parks level are members of the Gloucestershire FA

Not quite true - I was player-manager of a local team for 12 years - we were the only team in the league that had to affiliate to the Somerset FA due to our location in south Bristol. It meant we had some very long away trips in the Cup! 

I have a vague memory of beating Rovers 5-0 in the '69 final - at Eastville, I believe. Each member of the forward line scored. For the young 'uns, a 'forward line' consisted of two wingers, two inside forwards, and a center forward (Skirton, Garland, Galley, Kellard, and Sharpe).

4 hours ago, wendyredredrobin said:

I rather miss the pre season Gloucestershire Cup final between City and Rovers.  Anyone remember why it was scrapped and could it be reinstated, especially as a local derby looks very unlikely in the foreseeable future.

It was NEVER a pre-season thing originally, only the last few of its existence.......always the last game of the season .

10 hours ago, wendyredredrobin said:

Abdul Kamara’s pen kick at the open end is still orbiting the planet somewhere 

11 hours ago, pongo88 said:

Bristol is a county in its own right and has been since 1373, although large parts of what is regarded as being in Bristol is in other counties - eg Kingswood is the South Gloucestershire 

I am fairly sure in 1973 on the downs it was Bristol 600 it was the only time in my life that I had a slice  of beef from an almost whole cow cooked over a wood fire.

having been born in Patchway (despite a poster disagreeing with me in the past) was South Glos.

Politicians may say where boundaries are but people know where boundaries are.    

6 hours ago, Final 3 Star said:

I have a vague memory of beating Rovers 5-0 in the '69 final - at Eastville, I believe. Each member of the forward line scored. For the young 'uns, a 'forward line' consisted of two wingers, two inside forwards, and a center forward (Skirton, Garland, Galley, Kellard, and Sharpe).

How can the ‘Night of the Tulips’ become a vague memory? 

Up there with the best experience following City, on and off the pitch. 

On 29/05/2020 at 09:17, Mr X said:

We've been in the Somerset Premier Cup too. And the Anglo-Scottish. And the Anglo-Italian. And the Welsh Cup. We'll have a go at anything if there's a trophy to be had! 

30 minutes ago, italian dave said:

We've been in the Somerset Premier Cup too. And the Anglo-Scottish. And the Anglo-Italian. And the Welsh Cup. We'll have a go at anything if there's a trophy to be had! 

Don`t forget the Johnson Cup and that one we played Rangers for.

Glory hunters is what we are.

3 hours ago, Miah Dennehy said:

Apart from 1974-1996

Pedantic Gas

Ah -  Avon! As you’re a supporter of a team who has either played outside of Bristol or has planned to  to - eg Bath, Severnside, Cheltenham, Nailsworth I bow to your superior knowledge of local councils. 

Archived