IGNORED

Extended interview with AARON WILBRAHAM

Shtanley

Hey everyone, 

We recently interviewed Aaron Wilbraham for the One Stream in Bristol podcast.

It was great craic, listening to it would be a good way to spend your weekend!

We're trying to put one out every Friday and we've appreciated all your comments and feedback so far!

Listen online via Libsyn

Click here to listen on an Apple device

Here's a clip we put out on twitter:

As always we're keen to hear your favourite parts and who you would love to hear on the podcast.

It’s clear to see why so many managers have taken Wilbs on board over the years. A professional in every sense of the word. Being tentatively mixed on LJ compared to clear admiration for Cotts seems to be the case with most of the title winning side, I do wonder to what extent the loyalty towards Cotterill held us back for a couple years. The Tomlin and LJ situation also sounded like it got a little tense to say the least. 

I would suggest that Alby’s account on the fredericks debacle was missing a key event though... 

I know first hand making an interview sound as effortless as you do isn’t easy at all, and the fact you’ve had some really intriguing guests with some cracking stories on recently yet I hold the regular episodes with just the osib team on at the same level shows how strong the podcast is as a whole! And to think I didn’t listen for ages cause I thought it would be shit! 

Great interview, half way through will finish tomorrow - about time I went bed !

Just found the goal he spoke about scoring against Man City for Stockport. Even though the commentator calls him Aaron Williams!

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=a53b3pmJlGg 

2 hours ago, The Gasbuster said:

Great interview, what a top bloke Albie is !

Loved the line about his Bolton teammates reaction to the fantastic reception he got when returning to AG.

”******* hell Albie, did you win the World Cup with Bristol City ?!”

??

I`m glad he mentioned that. It was surreal and I doubt we`ll ever see anything like that again. It was up there with Glyn Riley`s return with Aldershot all those years ago. The spontaneous reaction when he came on was amazing enough but to be followed a few minutes later by the whole crowd booing when he got booked!

On 30/05/2020 at 01:05, Bouncearoundtheground said:

It’s clear to see why so many managers have taken Wilbs on board over the years. A professional in every sense of the word. Being tentatively mixed on LJ compared to clear admiration for Cotts seems to be the case with most of the title winning side, I do wonder to what extent the loyalty towards Cotterill held us back for a couple years. The Tomlin and LJ situation also sounded like it got a little tense to say the least. 

I would suggest that Alby’s account on the fredericks debacle was missing a key event though... 

I know first hand making an interview sound as effortless as you do isn’t easy at all, and the fact you’ve had some really intriguing guests with some cracking stories on recently yet I hold the regular episodes with just the osib team on at the same level shows how strong the podcast is as a whole! And to think I didn’t listen for ages cause I thought it would be shit! 

There, someone said it - I'm a recent convert having skipped listening for ages simply because I assumed it it would be a cobbled together bore. My humble, most grovelling apologies, therefore, to the OSIB team. 

Immensely enjoyable, each show I've listened to has been nothing short of ten out of ten. Brilliant stuff, and I'm genuinely left feeling a prat for having such misguided preconceptions. The hat has been eaten! 

Great player.

Villa at home will always stick in my mind. 

A young Tammy getting a ‘lesson’ from 2 Centre backs, cue the arrival of Wilbs for Tammy?

One loose elbow and one tackle from behind later and the Centre backs began to shit it. 

38 minutes ago, MrBibs said:

Have to confess my thoughts were similar to @poland_exile

Gave it a go tonight, thinking I don’t have the attention span to listen to over 2 hours of chat but have to say it was excellent. Listened the whole way through. Added to the list of converts. Loved it. Great work.

1 hour ago, poland_exile said:

There, someone said it - I'm a recent convert having skipped listening for ages simply because I assumed it it would be a cobbled together bore. My humble, most grovelling apologies, therefore, to the OSIB team. 

Immensely enjoyable, each show I've listened to has been nothing short of ten out of ten. Brilliant stuff, and I'm genuinely left feeling a prat for having such misguided preconceptions. The hat has been eaten! 

On 30/05/2020 at 00:05, Bouncearoundtheground said:

Share your initial pre-listening reservations ye olde converted, we won’t be offended..

whilst being another very good interview i didn’t think it contained the openness of either the bradley orr or leroy lira interviews, to me they were the benchmark. maybe with the previous two being out of the game they could be a little more open and honest. still good though

17 minutes ago, frenchred said:

whilst being another very good interview i didn’t think it contained the openness of either the bradley orr or leroy lira interviews, to me they were the benchmark. maybe with the previous two being out of the game they could be a little more open and honest. still good though

Fair point, and agreed there's only so much he'd have been able to say as he's still playing. I think a big part of it is his personality/morals too, he genuinely didn't have a bad word to say about anyone which I think speaks volumes for him as a person.

@Shtanley & Team,

Great interview again. 

The biggest point that I picked up on is that the team bonding is the thing that leads to success!

That bad apple in the team can kill a team and it hopes for a season. 

Aaron Willberham was a great signing and having that older experienced Pro can have a positive effect on a team by leading by example. His love for the time he spent with us shines through in the interview. 

Who is up next?

I’d think it’d be really interesting to get hold of Basso and see what he has to say. His career was definitely different to most players who’ve played for City! I think he even said he hoped to get in the Brazil squad with Bristol City if we’d got promoted. 

It’s a shame you wont be able to have a Thatchers with him at the Copacabana beach at the moment though!

On 01/06/2020 at 10:22, petehinton said:

Fair point, and agreed there's only so much he'd have been able to say as he's still playing. I think a big part of it is his personality/morals too, he genuinely didn't have a bad word to say about anyone which I think speaks volumes for him as a person.

Don’t know if you queried and it got cut, but OTIB made a lot about his body language towards Tomlin during those pre season “roomies” videos.

Given Wilbs brought up the media team and their role quite a bit - coupled with Tomlin’s behaviour towards LJ - it stood out to me as a “missed question”. 

That said; enjoyed it. Thanks very much!

Interesting theme in the two past episodes... Orr spoke about Taraabt being given a free reign at QPR to misbehave, due to his ability to influence games. Then Wilbraham explains that Johnson was too weak with the mercurial Tomlin.

Whilst the Taraabt example was much more extreme, does this suggest that Johnson, Warnock and who knows how many other managers are reluctant to impose any sanctions on their stars in the same way they would the rest of the group? 

If so, that sounds to me like very pragmatic (it got QPR promoted), but very flawed leadership. 

On 31/05/2020 at 22:16, 054123 said:

Great player.

Villa at home will always stick in my mind. 

A young Tammy getting a ‘lesson’ from 2 Centre backs, cue the arrival of Wilbs for Tammy?

One loose elbow and one tackle from behind later and the Centre backs began to shit it. 

This is so spot on.

Always used to watch him as soon as he came on as a sub.

Amazing the number of times that as he got himself into a position to receive the ball that he “accidentally” stood on his markers’ toe at the first throw in..

Just a top professional, he brought so much to the squad,

Archived